Did someone else take my upgrade?

Old Jun 30, 08, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Did someone else take my upgrade?

Flew IAH-LAX this morning and kept checking pda.continental.com to see where I stood on the upgrade standby list. As a plat on an H fare, I was #1 on the list all the way until I boarded the plane, when I showed both as upgraded and as #1 on the standby list (weird). I hoped an agent would come back to coach and give me a new BP, but it never happened.

Now I'm in LA and my account shows that I was in first for the flight. Not so much!

Was I robbed of an upgrade?
Old Jun 30, 08, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post
Flew IAH-LAX this morning and kept checking pda.continental.com to see where I stood on the upgrade standby list. As a plat on an H fare, I was #1 on the list all the way until I boarded the plane, when I showed both as upgraded and as #1 on the standby list (weird). I hoped an agent would come back to coach and give me a new BP, but it never happened.

Now I'm in LA and my account shows that I was in first for the flight. Not so much!

It is possible that you were upgraded into a seat that opened up because someone in F was on a late connection, then that person ended up making the connection and the GA allowed them to have the seat. You should follow up with CO Insider to be sure, although he is on vacation until next week.
Old Jun 30, 08, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah...you got hosed on this one. Did you happen to notice if F was actually seated full or not? Either the GA gave someone your F seat without a boarding pass or they let the seat go out empty. If they put a misconnect on (and downgraded you back to Y) then the PDA site would show you as upgraded but with your Y seat assignment based on previous instances.

So yeah, you got robbed.

Bummer.
Old Jun 30, 08, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If they put a misconnect on (and downgraded you back to Y) then the PDA site would show you as upgraded but with your Y seat assignment based on previous instances.
Ah, that appears to be the case.
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:21 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Ah, that appears to be the case.
So in this case you weren't robbed...just bad lack. It's happened to me a couple times also ("upgraded" into my original seat, 14F).
Old Jun 30, 08, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I had a similar experience, but I think there is a bug of sorts in the system. I checked the PDA list also and found that I was upgraded into First on a EWR-SFO transcon on Friday morning, but I also still showed up as #1 on the upgrade list. I went to the PC at Newark and asked for a new boarding pass for FC after pointing out that I was listed both in First and in Y. She confirmed that I was in FC and printed the boarding pass only to immediately realize that by mistake she had printed a boarding pass for the Y record. SHe went back into the computer and tried to correct her mistake but had a problem doing so. Meanwhile she "blocked" the FC seat while she made some calls to someone to figure out how to change the boarding pass (by now it's about 30 minutes before flight time). 10 minutes passed with her still working on it and I decided to head for the gate. WHen I got to the gate with about 15 minutes to go, they had received a call from the PC agent (thanks for that) saying I was the rightful person to be upgraded , but in the meantime thet had upgraded the next person on the list because I was still showing in Y on there computer. The red coat immediately issued orders to the other agent to downgrade the person they had upgraded and to give them a $200 travel voucher, and to give me a seat in first (again good work on the oftern maligned EWR agent's part).

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of the upgrade software, but it looks like the double listing caused some kind of problem.
Old Jun 30, 08, 4:24 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
on a flight from iah-slc once, i was in 21a. the flight attendant goes to 22a and says my first name to the guy and says he has an upgrade. the guy goes up front. i told the attendant that i thought that upgrade was for me. sure enough it was. so they pulled him out of first and gave me the seat. the flight attendant went to the wrong person. if i had not heard my first name spoken, i would have lost out.
Old Jun 30, 08, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by bearkatt View Post
on a flight from iah-slc once, i was in 21a. the flight attendant goes to 22a and says my first name to the guy and says he has an upgrade. the guy goes up front. i told the attendant that i thought that upgrade was for me. sure enough it was. so they pulled him out of first and gave me the seat. the flight attendant went to the wrong person. if i had not heard my first name spoken, i would have lost out.
I had an instance months ago where I saw on the PDA site that I'd been upgraded, but it seemed the GA forgot about it. When the FA took me to the GA he looked kindof shocked that I knew about the upgrade.
Old Jun 30, 08, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
I had an instance months ago where I saw on the PDA site that I'd been upgraded, but it seemed the GA forgot about it. When the FA took me to the GA he looked kindof shocked that I knew about the upgrade.
Makes me glad there are a lot of folks checking their PDAs so this behavior is not tolerated. Especially since I dont own one
Old Jun 30, 08, 10:09 pm

Before I switched to another carrier this happened to me on CO. I suspected that the agent gave the seat to another person. The flight was 2 hours late departing, and out of PBI to EWR so no late connecting passengers. When I got off the plane in EWR I had the agent print out my itinerary and sure enough I had upgraded just as I had suspected. I have also had this trick pulled on me by US Airways and Delta, so CO is not alone in doing this.
Old Jun 30, 08, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Hopefully a deserving Silver got it.
Old Jul 1, 08, 1:19 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs down

It always makes wonder what happened, when I am #1 on the Upgrade list, and after a lot of people asked to come to the Desk, or fuss on the plane, I remain in Coach. Just certain that I got bypassed and others got the upgrade, somehow other then via published procedure.

This makes me cautioou and concerned when on an Upgrade list, even as #1, since we are kept in the dark as to what is taking place!
Old Jul 1, 08, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had problems with upgrades this year. In fact, after 15 years of flying with Continental, the two problems I have had happened this year. I'd contact CO Insider on this one.
Old Jul 1, 08, 3:09 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
On a recent flight from EWR to Vancouver I watched from my pda as I was upgraded and moved off of the standby list. So I went to the GA and told her that I could see I was upgraded and would she give me my new boarding pass. She said that she could not because I wasn't really officially upgraded yet because she had to wait and see if there were just some PAX in F who hadn't shown up yet. After about a half hour she called me to the podium and gave me the pass. She seemed pretty irritated with me for asking for the BP and suggesting that I was upgraded. She said that this was her decision no matter what my blackberry showed. Since I did get the upgrade I didn't complain but it was annoying to be fussed up for something that seemed appropriate.
Old Jul 1, 08, 5:10 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Can she?

Originally Posted by rlbmorton View Post
She seemed pretty irritated with me for asking for the BP and suggesting that I was upgraded. She said that this was her decision no matter what my blackberry showed.
Question is, can the GA override the CO upgrade system as shown on pda.co.com? Is it, in fact, "her decision" whether to actually give you the upgrade that the system has authorized?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: