Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye transcon sundaes in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Goodbye transcon sundaes in July

Was checking the menu for an upcoming transcon -- which since got changed to head to Europe rather than CA. Sorry, no time to stop for food on 5:45 departures.

The EWR-HNL menu is always identical to the EWR-West Coast menu (except for the arrival snack).

It's switching from sundaes to cheesecake in July, which may imply goodbye to the sundaes.

June: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...nuMonth=200806

July: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...nuMonth=200807

Gonig to miss the ice cream and bailey's on top.

Speculate away.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
The cuts just keep on coming.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
I wonder what the reasoning was? Was it too heavy, or was it a catering cost issue. My guess is that the over all weight might have been the issue.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Ice cream can't be that expensive!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Ice cream can't be that expensive!
On my JFK-PTY flights on Copa (that I would imagine are catered similarly) the sundae event included brand new bottles of each topping. I'm talking about the 18oz full size bottle of choco, caramel, whipped cream, etc. Each was brand new and as best as I can tell was disposed of following the flight. That is a huge amount of waste and certainly cannot help the cost side of the equation.

The "loss" on the cheesecakes will just be the unconsumed slices, and that is likely to be much less expensive. It may only be a couple bucks per flight, but at 10/day the numbers add up.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
#$%#&( &*#$&#(! #$&#&*$$# @*)#@*($&$#&%#*(@&()#)@$& #*)$)*#$&#) @#()*@#()%&#()$*#_($*%*(#* $#()$#*()

.... !

.... !

.... !

There. I'm finished, now.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
I actually never was a fan of the sundaes....lets try the cheesecake. On most Asian carriers, I mostly see pastries/cakes/tarts as desserts and never ice cream.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Without the sundaes, this must simplify the preparation process - more then the cost of food items. Needing dry ice, etc.

Having flown in the past 6 months, international BC on KE, NW, DL, CO and F on QF - only DL and CO served the sundae. KE, NW, and QF served cakes. KE did serve an ice cream stick on an internal Asia flight. NW FA indicated that NW had switched from sundaes to cakes (flight NRT-DTW 744). QF has ice cream tubs as snacks in F.

This must be a trend. Maybe DL will stop the sundaes as well.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
#$%#&( &*#$&#(! #$&#&*$$# @*)#@*($&$#&%#*(@&()#)@$& #*)$)*#$&#) @#()*@#()%&#()$*#_($*%*(#* $#()$#*()

.... !

.... !

.... !

Perhaps CO's F class passengers will slim down a bit as a result of this enhancement. CO can then spin it as a benefit to passengers' health.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
I actually never was a fan of the sundaes....lets try the cheesecake. On most Asian carriers, I mostly see pastries/cakes/tarts as desserts and never ice cream.
Probably because a large portion of the population over there are lactose intolerant?

-RM
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Perhaps CO's F class passengers will slim down a bit as a result of this enhancement. CO can then spin it as a benefit to passengers' health.
I doubt the cheesecake is really that much better when it comes to fat and calories.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Probably because a large portion of the population over there are lactose intolerant?

-RM
If you are lacosie intolerant, you can't have cheesecake either.

Besides CO and DL, AA and Alaska also serve sundae on their F. Changing sundae in July is really a bad timing.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter

.... !

.... !

.... !

I second that.

I very rarely fly a true East Coast-West Coast transcon, but if they're gone from the EWR-West Coast flights, that means they're probably gone from the IAH-Pacific Northwest flights too, which I do fly a couple times a year.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA and HH
J.Edward is going to love the addional "cheese" product...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be very sad to see the sundaes go! I am a big fan!

However, the cheesecake CO serves is quite good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.