Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO To Join Star Alliance [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
I'm a gold elite out of CLE who does mostly pleasure travel and likes to use miles for international upgrades.

Should I be happy, sad, or indifferent?
Being part of Star allows you to book on SQ, CX, & TG to Asia - both offer products far superior to anything that's offered in the states...if you're looking to travel to Asia, I'd be happy.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Hope this happens quickly... I've got some long haul travel on UA this summer that I'd love to have credited to OnePass!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
The UA Q-UP can be even more rewarding than the DL variety (as UA often has crazy routing rules). If you are willing to fly out of MIA, there's generally decent "A" bucket availability (ExPlus aircraft, generally) to ORD and IAD. From there, you can begin cris-crossing the country en route to wherever. It just depends on whether UA has Q-UP fares to destinations that are useful to you from MIA.
How do I search for Q-UP fares on united.com? I tried doing a refundable F search, but the fare was pretty high.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
I only hope CO doesn't raise the requirments to hit plat to 100,000 or 100 segments.
I would hope that CO Plats are grandfathered the first year. ie Qualify based on CO criteria for 09, then alliance forms w/ 100/100 requirements, CO plats have till Dec 31, 2010 to hit the 100/100 to qualify for Plat.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I had hoped for OW, but I can live with *. I expect to fly as little on UA as I currently do on DL and NW. I'll be happy to have the additional Asia partners. I'm not jumping up and down, but not crying either.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Also,using that relationship as a reference, UA and US have reciprocal lounge access only through the purchase of an add-on. And a same day ticket on that airline is required, even with the add-on.
The add-on is required for US members, but a UA RCC membership has US priveleges built in, though both require you to be flying on the metal to get the lounge access.

I'm with ALCO in keeping my BD Gold until the inevitable happens, but I think I might want to leverage my EXP to match to whatever CO will give me, and then make CO my *A carrier - no need for MVPG when I can push for another top tier airline.

I sure hope the BR relationship will stay intact with this one though; BR has a great product and it would be disappointing to see that go, but I can see that being a victim of this move. Lets just hope.

To all of those excited about redeeming NonePass miles on *A airlines, would you really be shocked if CO implements UA-style StarNet blocking? I mean, NonePass is already known for being stingy, and IMO, nothing is stingier than UA's practice of not only limiting our ability to redeem seats that show available, but outright blocking of flights (NZ LAX-LHR doesn't exist as far as UA is concerned, same with some TG flights. Ridiculous). Its something that I'm used to dealing with, but nonetheless sucks
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I got the call this morning from my friend at CO HQ and had to swear on my life to shut up about it..

So the day after I decided to jump ship and got my 1K matched to CO Plat, CO makes this move.

Fantastic!!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Being part of Star allows you to book on SQ, CX, & TG to Asia.
Not CX. That's OneWorld.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by COmciUA
E+ for CO Elites???

I hope so!
Currently only UA elites get E+ for free.. Star Silver/Gold elites of other airlines do not get it.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: MP Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat Elite-RA
Is there a more miserable legacy airline than United, I don't think so.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Not showing up on *A.com yet
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by bocastephen
How do I search for Q-UP fares on united.com? I tried doing a refundable F search, but the fare was pretty high.
Choose First Class (lowest) on United.com and if there is a Q-up, H-up, or M-up available it should show. There must be a published Q-Up fare on that route and there must be space in the A bucket.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I also wonder what it means for the smaller routes in Europe that CO currently flies that can possibly be covered by the alliance (LH, BD, etc.)?
There may be some shuffling, but little difference from current situation with AF/KL.

For my IAH-HKG runs, CO/*A means my one-stop choices will expand quite a bit, adding ORD, SFO, YYZ, YVR.

Pretty sure we'll see IAH-FRA pretty soon, and will not see IAH-ICN for a long time. I also wonder if this changes CO's plan to the "South Pacific" as mentioned in DO III last year.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:01 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rjque
That would be awesome. Plus, United currently prevents its members from booking most available awards on LH, NH and TG, so availability for CO members should be better than it is for UA members.
I do not find this to be the case at all. If anything, as a MP member, it's MUCH easier to get seats (particularly in premium cabins) on LH to Europe than it is to get them on UA. Just did my honeymoon in September on LH in both directions in F. My previous trip to Europe was the same--couldn't get seats on UA, but LH had TONS of availability in F. And just before that, did a C ticket--1 direction on UA, home on LH.

Last month, one of my customers accompanied me to China...he used UA miles for a F ticket...The ONLY thing available was NH going over and TG coming home--he only flew UA on the domestic portions.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmmm...50K for *G would be great, especially because that gets you lounge access internationally like ST E+. Here's hoping that CO lets gold remain *G. I probably wouldn't need more than that; the bonus miles are nice but not worth the extra travel unless work decides I need to do that.

I'm less excited about the UA opportunities (though they offer much better MR routings than CO) than I am the opportunities for all the other partners.

Also, this will finally allow *A to offer flights between LON-NYC; up until now they haven't had any members operating that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.