Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental To Reduce Capacity, Fleet And Staffing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental To Reduce Capacity, Fleet And Staffing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by johdhj
It's tragic for all those whose jobs are cut, but I am amazed by the fact that the CEO and President are declining the rest of the salary in light of this. I'm too used to management giving themselves huge bonuses and pay salaries after a round of layoffs, I suppose.
It's not amazing, it's just competent management. Perhaps the two honchos are partly motivated by some sense of personal decency (only they know for sure); but they are both certainly smart enough to appreciate that CO's lack of labor strife is a major asset to the company, both in terms of being able to convince employees to take actions necessary to save money, and in terms of industry consolidation discussions (i.e. it makes CO a much more desirable partner). If CO started experiencing major labor problems now (tripped up by layoffs), bankruptcy and/or shotgun merger talk would spring up in a heartbeat.

And don't forget, these guys are not poor. They are not going to be evicted from their home, have their car repossessed, or get their electricity turned off....

So, nice gesture; but I wouldn't make too much of it.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Check out Slide #19 here:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...2008_03_18.pdf

752/3 are high efficient, only bettered by the 738/9.

They also have AA's MD80 and NW's DC9 numbers there for comparison.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Perhaps CO will get Boeing/aviation partners to pay for some winglets for the 762, they say the 763's winglets will be a 6% reduction in fuel burn (in partial compensation for the 787 delays)
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by entropy
Perhaps CO will get Boeing/aviation partners to pay for some winglets for the 762, they say the 763's winglets will be a 6% reduction in fuel burn (in partial compensation for the 787 delays)
The 762 may then be able to fly EWR-PEK if demand to China really drops, and DOT refuses to let the airline reduce frequencies.

I believe longest 762 route now is El Al's TLV-MIA. EWR-PEK is about 250 miles longer, but it doesn't have to fight headwind.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:34 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by rkkwan
The 762 may then be able to fly EWR-PEK if demand to China really drops, and DOT refuses to let the airline reduce frequencies.

I believe longest 762 route now is El Al's TLV-MIA. EWR-PEK is about 250 miles longer, but it doesn't have to fight headwind.

But are COs 762s ETOPs certified for the long over-the-pole flights time lengths like the 777s?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Wondering what will happen to PHL-IAH. There's a smorgasboard of 733s and 735s on the route. Lately, though 739s and 738s have been showing up. They'll probably drop a flight or two. I just want IAH-PHL #1776 to stay strong with the 739 (better for EUAs).
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vulcan
But are COs 762s ETOPs certified for the long over-the-pole flights time lengths like the 777s?
My understanding from one of the DOs or mini-DOs is that all CO ETOPS aircraft are ETOPS 180 (ie all the same). As for "extra" polar accommodation, I have no idea if such a thing exists, if that route is used for PEK or if CO's 767s are equipped or capable of being so equipped.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
Transpolar flights carry special 'polar kits' with additional supplies including special parkas and other cold weather gear in the event the airplane is forced to land at a remote strip isolated from civilization.

As far as the 762 on polar routes, is it possible? Yes, maybe. Likely? I have to say I am very skeptical.

And yes, all the ETOPS-rated airplanes in the CO fleet have 180 minute certification, but the 777s are authorized for ETOPS-207 when necessary (by flight plan, as I understand) on polar operations. I don't know if the 762 is capable of this.

Furthermore, the 767 lacks the pilot rest facilities of the 777 that would come into play on this route. Even the 777s that have not been retrofitted with the crew 'suite' overhead at doors 3 have 2 small bunks immediately aft of the cockpit on the port side, plus have 4 BF seats blocked out for crew use. I'm not sure precisely what contractual and federal crew rest restrictions apply on a route of this duration, however.

Last edited by CODC10; Jun 5, 2008 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

PS: let me be a purist here: Scotland is in Great Britain, but Northern Ireland isn't!
I kicked myself when I read this. Always loved geography and still do and to make such an unforgivable mistake.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:32 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by photog72
Wondering what will happen to PHL-IAH. There's a smorgasboard of 733s and 735s on the route. Lately, though 739s and 738s have been showing up. They'll probably drop a flight or two. I just want IAH-PHL #1776 to stay strong with the 739 (better for EUAs).
I use PHL a lot, since it is subastantially cheaper, thanks to the Southwest effect. I would be very upset if CO dropped flights to/from IAH. Yes, bring back the 738/739s.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Shouldn't CO's 757 burn be a little less fuel due to the winglets?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: nada
SLC seems prime for mainline cuts..... CO only has something like 1 daily mainline from IAH and the daily from EWR. I can see SLC becoming 2xIAH RJ and 1xEWR mystery plane (I think they were flying 735s last time I did that route a year ago).
I think it can get cut for the same reason why airlines like YX don't touch the market, and why airlines like DL cut some SLC-central US (MKE, possibly others) service....Very high load factors, very low fares. Just like the south FL routes, filling planes with discount fares doesn't make it a good route...
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: Continental, American
The offer to suspend income for the remainder of the year speaks volumes of the leadership at Continental. Not too many executives who would give up that kind of money.

Considering last year's income of ~7.31 M (who's counting ), Larry is giving up quite a chunk of change there. On the flip side, before anyone sheds tears, he did cash in for a cool 5 M in January... so I don't think he will feel it as much as, let's say, agents.

Great to know he can empathize with his employees and make that gesture, regardless of the amounts involved. The market apparently likes the news too, CAL shares are up.

Regards

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; Jun 5, 2008 at 6:25 pm
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by crnk
SLC seems prime for mainline cuts.....
SLC has been cut so much in the last few years I can't imagine them making any more. I'm sure I'm wrong...
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by perezoso
It's not amazing, it's just competent management. Perhaps the two honchos are partly motivated by some sense of personal decency (only they know for sure); but they are both certainly smart enough to appreciate that CO's lack of labor strife is a major asset to the company, both in terms of being able to convince employees to take actions necessary to save money, and in terms of industry consolidation discussions (i.e. it makes CO a much more desirable partner). If CO started experiencing major labor problems now (tripped up by layoffs), bankruptcy and/or shotgun merger talk would spring up in a heartbeat.

And don't forget, these guys are not poor. They are not going to be evicted from their home, have their car repossessed, or get their electricity turned off....
When Larry and Jeff filed to sell a large amount of stock at around $33 a share, some here thought they lost out, since shortly later the stock went to the $50's. Now it is in the teens. But they had next gains in the 10's of Millions of dollars.

They make more of their money off stock options than salary. Although no money to be made in the stock options right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.