Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by sbm12
Why do you have to make a job of it?? Does the system not work so that you manually have to call even if you're on the waitlist? Or are you saying that you won't use the waitlist approach so you check every day and then buy once you know it will be clear at ticket purchase?
Because I'm trying for either a reward ticket OR the upgrade ticket. I have not tried the waitlist much, because until last year, I was always able to get it at some point. My only experience with the waitlist, it did not clear.

And HNL might be a harder upgrade than other destinations; I have no idea. I've almost always been able to find a seat up front when I wanted one using miles, though I have a very small sample size. Turns out I don't mind flying in whY all that much.
I go about twice a year and also send my parents. Take it from me, it's harder and harder to get the seats. So much so, for my last trip, I just gave up and bought the tickets and tried to upgrade. I was able to rev-up one way, but with this change, I suspect there aren't going to be too many rev-ups available any longer.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:33 pm

glad that the waitlist policy is changing. I cant tell you how many times, ive been on a BF reward or an upgrade reward where I (or someone in my party) was removed from the list 24 hours and not been put on standby.

Soemtimes you can explain the whole, "P1" policy to the agents but most stand true to the CO policy of no mileage stand by's at the airport.

happened today. I upgraded my friends bos-cun as an engagement gift. bos-ewr showed zero F, but six revenue for the last two+ weeks. My friends were removed from the upgrade list at 624am this morning, and 6 people were seemingly upgraded at 630am after they checked in. F is now sold out.

this was a first though.... CO actually emailed telling them they had been removed from the list. that's never happened to me.

Its really not a big deal as the flight is a short one, but i do hope the new policy takes care of this. the flight in question could have easily been bos-iah instead of bos-ewr. at least they still get nice ride ewr-cun.
Old May 20, 2008, 2:42 pm

Glad to see the improvements that Scott has mentioned .Hope for a seamless transition too Cheers Jane
Old May 22, 2008, 6:32 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Hi Scott,

There still seem to be some minor annoyances and possible problems left in place.

If you are waitlisted for a mileage upgrade and it clears, there's:

1. NO notification to you via email. You have to constantly check the status yourself.

2. You have to call reservations to have the upgrade processed.

So, If you are off on a long trip without a lot of computer access, and an upgrade for a different trip clears, you won't know about it and can't take the presently required actions. I'm not certain if there's a time limit for one to respond and call reservations but it's possible that you could lose the upgrade as a result.
Thanks SuperG1955 (and also sandbox) for sending over your specific examples. We’ve found why this is happening, and we’re working on getting this corrected now.

Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I think this is an improvement but I don't like the fact that they are now going to charge you when you get on the waiting list. Why can't CO do it this way -- not charge you if you are on the waiting list until 24 hours before. I can understand the need to be sure your credit card clears before giving you the seat but I don't see why they need to charge the card when you get on the list (which might be a month in advance), but could just do it 24 hours before. Then if your card doesn't clear, you're off the list for the last 24 hours -- just like you won't get the seat if your card doesn't clear say 1 week before.
Hi rlbmorton, anything other than what we'll be implementing on June 17th leaves too much room for error. It's more common than you think that our customers' credit cards get declined or no longer exist when the upgrades actually clear (partly because a high volume of upgrade rewards are booked several weeks, even months in advance). The amount of effort we spend following up in these cases is very burdensome to manage, and definitely not something we’re willing to push to the departure gate. We also know reversing the upgrade or taking the customer off the waitlist isn't the right answer either, as this would frequently set us up for "super-charged" situations at the airport. By accepting payment up front for all upgrades, the process is much cleaner, consistent and our collective margin of error is dramatically reduced.

Originally Posted by manneca
Now, I have a question. If I take miles from my GE son's account to upgrade, do I get the same preference as if I were CO GE? That seems to be what it says. (I'm assuming I'll be traveling with my son.) I just want to double check.
Yes manneca, that’s correct. The waitlist priority and subsequent airport standby priority is based on the Elite status of the account from which the miles were withdrawn.

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
So can we book fake reservations to ensure our upgrade know for sure "we" wont show up and our upgrade will be cleared?
Hi CAL PHL FLYER, I know you're only joking, but this is something what we'll be monitoring very closely. If there's abuse, we'll be forced to reconsider this policy.

Originally Posted by dmunz
Ok, here's another possible issue with this. Based on my trip listed above (and the current "rules") I somehow almost lost out on my exit row seat. Basically, I could not check in at the 24 hour mark because I was waitlist as a miles upgrade. When I got to the airport, they told me it it did not clear and gave me seat 20A, not 14D which I had reserved. The lady at the counter said all the exit row seats were taken and there was nothing she could do about it. I was also dumped way to the bottom of the list for a battlefield upgrade.

If this is the case with the new system (i.e., you can not check in until you get to the airport and your chosen Y seat is not protected) I don't think this is an improvement. In all honesty, how many people have gotten mile-use upgrades inside the 24 hour window? That seems like the real change here. I would give that up to protect my 14C/D on a long 737 flight and, probably my 32A/F on a 777.

FWIW
DLM

PS, To close the loop on my POS adventure, I was paged at the gate and given 14C for no apparent reason just prior to boarding and 14B was empty. This is actually a combination I'll take over losing 15K mile on this route.
Hi dmunz, I can only speculate as to what happened with your seat assignment and upgrade priority in this particular case, but I don't believe this was related to our waitlist or upgrade standby policy (you're welcome to PM me with your confirmation number if you believe otherwise). When this new policy goes into effect, upgrade waitlists will continue to be expired 24 hours before your itinerary departs so that you'll have no issues checking in online. Once checked in, you'll automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list in accordance with your waitlist priority. In these cases, you'll maintain your original seat assignment unless you're cleared into the front cabin.

Originally Posted by Sarah Hanel
Mr. O'Leary,
Thanks for this update and for the wonderful news. I do have one question. Why is the fare class not used as part of the basis for the waitlist priority? It would seem reasonable, at least to me, that waitlist priority should be driven by Elite status, fare class (or vice versa), and then date of booking.
Respectfully,
Sarah
Hi Sarah Hanel, fare class will indeed be a secondary tie-breaker. I see that I failed to mention this in my original post, which I've corrected and also recapped below:
"Waitlisted customers will have an upgrade priority that is just below paid First/BusinessFirst customers. When applicable, the waitlist priority (which is driven by the Elite status of the account from which the miles were redeemed), then fare class paid, then the timestamp of the original waitlist will be the tie-breakers."
Old May 22, 2008, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Sarah Hanel, fare class will indeed be a secondary tie-breaker. I see that I failed to mention this in my original post, which I've corrected and also recapped below:
"Waitlisted customers will have an upgrade priority that is just below paid First/BusinessFirst customers. When applicable, the waitlist priority (which is driven by the Elite status of the account from which the miles were redeemed), then fare class paid, then the timestamp of the original waitlist will be the tie-breakers."
Wait a sec -- is this just for the airport standby upgrade list, or for the advance waitlist too? Is the current advance waitlist prioritized by fare class (after status level)?
Old May 22, 2008, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Wait a sec -- is this just for the airport standby upgrade list, or for the advance waitlist too? Is the current advance waitlist prioritized by fare class (after status level)?
Hi ijgordon, waitlists are prioritized in status order, followed by the timestamp of the waitlist request. After the waitlist expires, and you're transitioned to the airport upgrade standby list, the priority among formerly waitlisted customers will be status, followed by fare class, followed by timestamp of the waitlist request.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi ijgordon, waitlists are prioritized in status order, followed by the timestamp of the waitlist request. After the waitlist expires, and you're transitioned to the airport upgrade standby list, the priority among formerly waitlisted customers will be status, followed by fare class, followed by timestamp of the waitlist request.
Ahhh...very interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure the question will come up at least 17 times before the end of the year.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Looking at a change....

Long time AA flier considering the switch to Continental. I noticed you have numerous awards for your Business/First service and this generous new upgrade policy is the icing on the cake. On AA, the long flights typically have 2-4 crew members (pilots I assume) in first class seats for their breaks. Does Continental do this as well? Would my priority as an Elite member allow me access to one of these seats or are these not available at all (crew only)?@:-)
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA Flyer 2007
On AA, the long flights typically have 2-4 crew members (pilots I assume) in first class seats for their breaks.
Does Continental do this as well?
Generally, yes. Depends on the length of the flight. Certain aircraft have crew bunks so they don't actually sit in BusinessFirst seats.
Would my priority as an Elite member allow me access to one of these seats or are these not available at all (crew only)?@:-)
Huh? Are you asking if you can sit in the pilot's lap?

PS, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
This is great news indeed, and one more (relatively simple) change that has big customer benefits at little cost to CO ... and eliminates one of the big differentiators vs. UA and AA, whose upgrades clear any time up to and including the moment that check-in is closed for a flight.

This, combined with the MM program ... two big advances in one month.

So I'll hold out for the introduction of SWUs for at least another month :-)

Thanks, CO and CO Insider
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Thumbs down didn't work for us

Mrs donnyb & I were mileage award waitlisted on 9/9/08 CO 234 segment since April. Lots of empty seats up front, but never cleared the waitlist. Got an email at the 24 hour mark telling us the waitlist had expired. Tried OLCI at 24 hrs and it would not complete. At this point there were 9 empty FC seats per the PDA site, 1 pax UG'd. Called Elite desk and was told to " give it a few more hours to see if the mileage award waitlist would work". Tried a few hours later, no dice. Went to bed, and early next morning tried again, no dice. PM'ed CO Insider for advice but got no response. Called Elite desk again and they could not check us in, nor clear the hold, which they said was due to the mileage award waitlist not dropping off at the 24 hour mark. Transferred to online help, who could not fix it either. Told us the only way to fix it was to drive to the airport (5 hours away) in person and talk to agent. Called Elite desk to ask about getting a message to the local ANC gate agents, no phone # available for the public. "They go on duty at 2:15pm." We drive there, arrive at 2:15 and explain it all over again to them. They are unable to get us checked in as well, takes them about 10 minutes of fiddling around before they finally are able to print BPs and bag tags. At this point we are 2.5 hours before flight time. Agent tells us she will give the UG issue to (name withheld) and we should come back to the airport at flight time & speak to her at the gate to get our UG. We arrive at the gate 1.5 hrs before flight time and speak to (name withheld) who tells us she "called the Elite desk & asked if waitlisted mileage UG award pax get special priority over EUA's and they said no." She the looked away from me & said there was nothing more she could do. The PDA site showed 7 pax upgraded, and we were never listed. In truth it was more than that, because the (replacement) aircraft we flew had 20 F seats not 16. At the 24 hour mark there were only 6 FC seats occupied per the PDA site, but we never even had a chance at a battlefield UG.

My understanding of Scott's announcement post of May 15 was that we were supposed to have a priority over EUA's, but the Elite desk repeatedly said "not".

My advice to others: Series 0 awards are good only if you find a flight segment combo with immediate availablity on all segments. If not try another combo of segments. Waitlisting can be a frustrating nightmare. And possibly a waste of miles. I will try to get some of our miles refunded.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must have been some other type of glitch. Maybe CO can do a post-mortem on it. I know my Silver parents have cleared flights ahead of higher elites, though I can't recall exactly whether it was before or after the 24 hour mark.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by donnyb
My understanding of Scott's announcement post of May 15 was that we were supposed to have a priority over EUA's, but the Elite desk repeatedly said "not".
I had the same experience from people at the Elite Desk and at the Airport as well.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
I had the same experience from people at the Elite Desk and at the Airport as well.
Were they condescending toward you as well? Couple of them reminded me of the term "dragon lady" I have read on these threads.

I even had a printed copy of the announcement thread from Scott which I gave the GA to read at her convenience. At that point we were already SOL on the UG.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by UA Insider; Oct 2, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.