co/ua in new alliance talks

Old May 14, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
co/ua in new alliance talks

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...2IA&refer=home
Old May 14, 2008, 6:35 pm

Programs: Continental, American Airlines, Alitalia, Iberia, Jetblue,Starwood Gold,Hilton Honors
Thumbs down Lets hope this doesnt happen

Co do you have some sort of obsession with UA ?
this looks like a way for UA to raise prices( which they do so rarely) and then blame the increase on alliance partners

Avoid like the plague !! Please
Old May 14, 2008, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
UA is the one with the obsession. They need all the help they can get.
Old May 14, 2008, 7:00 pm

There are some segments of the UA network that CO would like to have, including the Asia market, LHR and the west coast north/south routes. Given the mess of an outright merger, this is a good stepping stone for CO. Yes, I know there are a lot of warts on the idea but in a lot of ways it makes good sense.

Let's see how it shakes out.
Old May 14, 2008, 7:51 pm

While I like the idea of CO acquiring routes and equipment from UA, I absolutely refuse to spend a dime on a UA flight. I'm not even certain I would agree to a reward ticket with a significant UA segment.

I understand the route structure is much more complementary than with AA, but ewwww.
Old May 14, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
This would have a lot more benefits, IMHO, than a hookup with AA.

I must not be getting enough of the blue COol-aid but I just don't see how UA is that much worse than CO. Sure there are downsides...and some significant ones. There are with CO too.
Old May 14, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM
Well, CO is not going to stay in SkyTeam with a merged DL/NW. That leaves * Alliance or OneWorld. If I had my druthers, I'd choose Star.
Old May 14, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As it's been said, the CO and UA route networks really are far more complimentary then CO and AA. The asian routes are a true goldmine and these are markets CO can't easily break into between lack of widebodies and route authorities. UA already has all that covered.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I wonder if UA will grant access to Economy Plus for Onepass Elites? They don't allow any other Elites from Star Alliance partners but this is something CO should definitely push for in the event an alliance forms between UA and CO.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Please say it aint so. If this happens its because UA is so out of control even US doesn't want to be bothered.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:21 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
With UA eliminating the 500-mile minimums then I would expect a merger with US.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: UA MP
Other than a few miserable hubs (IAD,ORD - which AA has too) UA is much better for CO to form an allance (notice no MERGER) than AA (think E+). AAs MD80s are awful and UA even has FC on their ERJ and CRJ. Plus .. Star > Oneworld..by a long shot. THe only problem is tilton has been trying to get the hell out of CHicago for a while and im not so sure continental will want to deal with United management...we'll see
Old May 15, 2008, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Mothura
Co do you have some sort of obsession with UA ?
this looks like a way for UA to raise prices( which they do so rarely) and then blame the increase on alliance partners

Avoid like the plague !! Please
Why are we blaming UA? I'm sure that CO (and DL and AA and US and NW and WN and B6 and...) all want to raise prices. Currently, all of the airlines are looking at a situation where Revenue < Expenses, even though yields are high. Unless there are more cost cuts to be made, then they have to raise prices.

And all of them will try to blame it on something/someone else. I think the deal outlined in the article could be a positive for CO. For those that want to see CO continue to exist, then this would mean it could be a positive for you, as well.

Originally Posted by 777-DCA
With UA eliminating the 500-mile minimums then I would expect a merger with US.
I wouldn't read into this. I think we will find that, like the 2nd bag charge, a lot of these things will be gaining traction, with a lot of the carriers.

Last edited by pbarnette; May 15, 2008 at 2:03 am
Old May 15, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I wouldn't read into this. I think we will find that, like the 2nd bag charge, a lot of these things will be gaining traction, with a lot of the carriers.
I hope not! It would be a sad day for frequent flyers.
Old May 15, 2008, 6:03 am

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
Maybe UA will get involved with MR too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.