Wiki Posts
Search

Q400 now scheduled for DCA-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Q400 now scheduled for DCA-EWR

I notice my flight in July DCA-EWR is now a Q400. The 3pm was a 735, then an RJ, now a Q400. Q400's for both the 1pm and 3pm, but not the 5pm.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is CO (Colgan) planning on bringing any Q400s to IAH?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by cova
I notice my flight in July DCA-EWR is now a Q400.
And I'm sure they're still only selling full Y fares for these routes. $600 for a prop. At least you feel like you've been taken for a ride. Oh. Wait.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Is CO (Colgan) planning on bringing any Q400s to IAH?
Was their purpose to relieve traffic at EWR? I don't think that there is that big of a ATC problem at IAH. Not really sure what routes they would use them on. IAH-AUS? Yuck.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hartmann
IAH-AUS?
No way. CO fills up big planes on that route; no need to downsize just because it is short.

It is a bit surprising to see them on the DCA route so soon, as I don't know that the reliability or scheduling issues have been worked out, but we all knew it was coming.

I'm glad I have the DL Shuttle option.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Was their purpose to relieve traffic at EWR?
This was one reason for bringing them into EWR, but they also presented a savings over operating ERJs on certain routes. I could see them eventually making their way down to IAH. Maybe IAH-OKC?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
DAL are all ERJ. 12x. I think this can switch to the Q.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I could definitely see CO throwing some of these on routes like IAH-BRO/HRL/CRP/LFT/TYR/SHV etc. In some cases, they would be replacing CR2s ^, in others, ERJs (either good or bad, depending on your perspective).

The ERJs I rode on recently IAH-JAN-IAH were downright filthy and in a terrible state of repair (broken seat in 1A reclined uncontrollably; situation not helped by fat guy occupying said seat; situation further worsened by my being stuck in 2A, on a Y fare, on a completely full flight). I'd take a new Q400 over that.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
No way. CO fills up big planes on that route; no need to downsize just because it is short.

It is a bit surprising to see them on the DCA route so soon, as I don't know that the reliability or scheduling issues have been worked out, but we all knew it was coming.

I'm glad I have the DL Shuttle option.
Well there have been plenty of AUS flights that I've been on that are either almost empty or only half full. This is most evident on the flights that aren't there to position people for their international segments.

Why not augment the current schedule in and out of AUS with Q400s? Offer hourly flights, almost like the shuttle.

Flights to TYR and CRP would be much more comfortable on the Q400 (IMO).
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I could definitely see CO throwing some of these on routes like IAH-BRO/HRL/CRP/LFT/TYR/SHV etc. In some cases, they would be replacing CR2s ^, in others, ERJs (either good or bad, depending on your perspective).
In the case of TYR they'd be replacing Saabs. I'm not sure that some of the routes that are exclusively Colgan have the demand for the Q400, but definitely some of the shorter ERJ/CRJ routes could use the extra capacity.

The ERJs I rode on recently IAH-JAN-IAH were downright filthy and in a terrible state of repair...
I've seen a couple of ERJs like that recently. At least most still seem to be in pretty good shape. It's usually the oldest ones (the ERJ-145EP series planes) that seem to be in worst shape. Some of those planes are over 10 years old now, and it's starting to show.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I've seen a couple of ERJs like that recently. At least most still seem to be in pretty good shape. It's usually the oldest ones (the ERJ-145EP series planes) that seem to be in worst shape. Some of those planes are over 10 years old now, and it's starting to show.
I defer to your expertise in the realm of ERJ-Flying
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I defer to your expertise in the realm of ERJ-Flying
Just so you know I haven't set foot on an ERJ (or a CRJ) since April 7. Haven't been on a Saab either in that time.

But that all comes to an end next Monday.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Apparently CO's RJ's are still in high demand....I flew on one DAY-CLE a few weeks ago that wasn't fully painted.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Apparently CO's RJ's are still in high demand....I flew on one DAY-CLE a few weeks ago that wasn't fully painted.
That would be one of Chautauqua's planes... I'll say no more.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by ssullivan
That would be one of Chautauqua's planes... I'll say no more.
Yup, your favorite Regional Airline of the Year...white body, blue nacelles, and no discernable English or any other language on the fuselage. That trip was my first experience with RJ's, and I noticed a stark difference between XJet and CHQ, with CHQ being the clear loser. The CHQ RJ that took me PHL-CLE had brakes that were so worn and consequently just LOUD...I hadn't heard brake noise like that since my USAF charter DC-10 on Omni Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.