Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 'Stans + Tehran 2009 CO Obscuro-DO Planning Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold

The Plan:
Travel to former Soviet-Bloc Countries (starting with Kazakhstan) and Tehran, in search of obscure aircraft, nifty new lines on the Flightmemory, and the elusive 707-300 (operated by Saha Air of Iran - The last commercial operator of the type on Earth).

Include as many FTers as wish to come. However, initial planning will be made here on the CO Forum, as there are many here that have expressed interest in such a DO, and I'd like to accomodate as many as possible by making initial planning decisions here. After firmer ideas of dates and itineraries exist, a corresponding DO thread will be placed in CommunityBuzz.

The Hurdles:
1. Finding a streamlined process for Iranian Visa applications, and/or Tour groups specializing in afficionado air travel within Iran (as I believe you technically have to be part of a tour group to enter Iran). I have heard reports that it can take up to 3 Months to get an Iranian Visa processed. Hopefully there are expediters that can streamline this process (no one wants to be without their passport for 3 months).

2. Investigate whether any unforeseen Visa hurdles exist for U.S. Citizens for entry to Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and other 'Stans which may end up on a finalized itinerary.

3. Timing - I think this one will take at least a week to be done properly. Choosing the week is obviously a key consideration. I'm presently leaning towards Winter months, as low-season to Europe offers the best bet of reward flight availability for positioning. Perhaps MLK Day week. Any and all input welcome.

4. Finding current route/operations information for countries like Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, etc... Getting current info on where Yak-40s and TU-154s are operating isn't as easy as just firing up KVS (lots of times you get nothing back).

Have to board a flight to AMS now. If anyone has any other logistical considerations to toss out, or other suggestions, feel free. See you in land of Borat!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Wow this is pretty cool, I like some of the old soviet bloc designs in aircraft and except for the engines they are really simple, cheap craft to operate(they drink fuel however!)

I think this DO would be to rich for my blood, but it sounds awesome.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There are loads of TU-154 and TU-134 aircraft still flying in the CIS. I've flown both and I have to say the TU-134 is much more interesting. They are both being replaced at a relatively rapid rate, however. Yaks are quite a bit harder to find. For other Soviet-era aircraft you can pretty easily plant yourself in Moscow and fly out and back. VKO has a particularly good selection.

PM me if you want some assistance in planning. I have some experience in this area. FWIW, chasing the 707 is likely to be the most difficult task on your agenda.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Apr 11, 2008 at 5:36 pm
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm in, possibly plus one depending on the timing and just how much time is spent looking at the insides of airplanes versus other events. I'll start on #2 below and see what I can come up with. I would suggest that anyone interested in participating who has an Israeli stamp in their passport go ahead and apply for a second passport now. In fact, extended visa issuance issues is one of the justifications permitted for a second passport, so that may address the problems with getting the Iranian visa issued.

People who have RSVP'd Yes/Maybe
content moved to the link above for ease of tracking.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 14, 2008 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Really??? Here I was looking at the date to make sure it wasn’t posted on April 1st. All I have to say is your going have a really nice welcome back to the USA by ICE after visiting the above mention countries all in one trip. To the back room you go. Have fun!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: CO Plat (thanks to FT), UA 1P, AA
Wow! I so wanna do this!!! I guess it will be just me checking for the requirements with an Argentinian and a Mexican passports?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:35 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
This has educational written all over it. Sign me up.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by J.Edward
This has educational written all over it. Sign me up.
Get back to school -- I was here first
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:41 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Get back to school -- I was here first

I am always at school.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Regrettably, I don't think the Iranians are in a very visa-friendly mood for US gringos these days... my wife was peripherally involved in a group trip (of Americans) to Tehran and they had difficulty. Although they did make it there... but not after some work.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is just silly! If you're going to Tehran from the Americas, you have to do it in style. Which means flying Homa Class in the Iran Air 747-100 from Caracas and a stop over at Damascus.^
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Already said this in The Penalty Box, but count me in!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For added flavor (though on newer aircraft) you can return from Russia via Anchorage on Vladivostok Air
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Been there done that on a pulkovo aviation Tu-154, (note there is no overhead space, you can't fit a 10kg tote bag in there).

Uh no way am I going Iran, sorry it's not going to happen. Mamma and Pappa Colpuck will not let their little boy go there.

If by education you by "HRT 356 advanced negociation" "HRT 357 captor/captee relations" and "HRT 358 advanced stockhom syndrome".
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: CO Gold
This idea is just random enough to actually pique my interest. Count me in and with regards to the 707, I call "Shotgun!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.