Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cost Cutting: No Coffee prior to takeoff on 737-300/500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost Cutting: No Coffee prior to takeoff on 737-300/500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by pptp
Sometimes in the past pilots would start the APU to brew a pot, sometimes for one cup, then shut it down. Anyone venture a guess as to how much this one cup cost to brew? With fuel used and one more click in the start up wear cycle I'd be curious.
The quote in Post #3 says it can save up to $1m per year.

There are about 100 733/5s in the fleet. Say they average 4 flights a day, that's 400 flights x 365 or about 150,000 flights a year. So, it's about $7 of fuel per segment for running the APU at the gate.

Very very rough estimate.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Marriott
Originally Posted by rkkwan
The quote in Post #3 says it can save up to $1m per year.

There are about 100 733/5s in the fleet. Say they average 4 flights a day, that's 400 flights x 365 or about 150,000 flights a year. So, it's about $7 of fuel per segment for running the APU at the gate.

Very very rough estimate.
Just think what you could accomplish if you had time to analyze a few things. I bet you could figure out which routes a given plane would take and who knows what else. ; )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.