Where to meet a friend?

Old Mar 22, 08, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Where to meet a friend?

Good Morning all,
I will be arriving BCN on a sunday at 11am on an upcoming trip. A friend flying LX (bos zrh bcn) will be arriving at 240pm the same day. Our plan was to each get ourselves to the hotel via taxi; the first checking in. Chances are I wont be able to check in early(check in 2-3pm) and would have to wait in the lobby(nice hotel but...).

So I thought I could meet her at the airport somewhere, share a taxi and get to the hotel at check in time. Id appreciate any info. Perhaps once i collect my luggage I can go to the lounge and wait and then meet her somewhere by her arrival area.

Is this worth investigating? Im not sure how vast the airport is and where I am restricted to enter. I'll be on a BF ticket.

Thanks,
M
Old Mar 22, 08, 8:54 am

Programs: Continental, American
msbiojojo,

Sounds like you've figured it all out already. Since you are in BF, I would ask the carrier if you could go in their lounge and wait after re-claiming your luggage. If that fails, then as you say, collect your luggage and proceed to the arrival hall and wait.

Depending on where your hotel is, the train might be an option; it is the cheapest way to get in. It leaves the airport and stops at SANTS, or Passeig de Gracia. The cost is less than $5.00US.

A taxi will be about $50-60.00US, but will take you straight to your hotel.

We've not had a problem checking in early in at Barcelona/Sitges when we go, they have always had the room ready though check in time was hours later. If the room was not ready, I would think they would let you check in, but wait for the room, in which case you could leave your luggage and take a walk outside the hotel, perhaps down Las Ramblas if you are saying near.

Mrs. HookTheBrotherUp is from Barcelona, and we travel there about every nine months on the average to visit family. Our last trip was September, so the time is coming soon to return!
Old Mar 22, 08, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Hey "Hook"

Thanks,
We are staying the Le Meridien right on Las Ramblas and while Im sure the hotel will have the room ready or near ready...i thought it would be nice to arrive together with BFF.

As for the train. Not happening. 12 day cruise with three days before and after and Im not a light packer. Cant see me schlepping suitcases on a train regardless of cost, especially without Mr. "Msbiojojo" to help. He has tried to train me but Im an old dog and dont like new tricks!

Is there one terminal for this airport? Easy to navigate?
Thx,
M
Old Mar 22, 08, 10:01 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Yes, BCN has one large terminal for all international flights and it is pretty easy to navigate. As for LeMeridien, I was there last month and had no problem getting an early arrival/checkin at 9am! Call the hotel before your arrival and request it, telling them that you'd appreciate it, and realize it is subject to availability yada yada.... Not sure about an arrivals lounge at BCN, and CO shares a common business class lounge that is beyond security on airside, so don't know if it will be possible to go back there and wait---Call CO and ask about either an arrivals lounge or if they have an arrangement with a local airport hotel. LeMeridien is only a short 20min cab ride away, but if you can wait for your friend at the airport, so much the better.
Old Mar 22, 08, 11:17 am

Programs: Continental, American
Originally Posted by msbiojojo View Post
Cant see me schlepping suitcases on a train regardless of cost, especially without Mr. "Msbiojojo" to help. He has tried to train me but Im an old dog and dont like new tricks!

Is there one terminal for this airport? Easy to navigate?
Thx,
M
The airport is very easy to navigate. They are currently constructing a new terminal, but should not affect you (unless they've made great progress since September). The international flghts from the US come into a different terminal (A) than those of other EU states, so check the boards, or ask an agent about your friend's arrival terminal. As your friend arrives from Zurich, and Switzerland is not part of the EU, it is probably Terminal A.

As you walk out of the terminal, you will see the yellow & black cabs. Don't know if you are aware of this, or not, but you will also pay an additional charge (1 euro) for each piece of luggage in addition to the cab fare. Depending on how many pieces you and your friend have, I'd ask the person hailing cabs for a mini-van. The ride to town is about 30-45 minutes.

As far as suitcases and trains, I hear you! For some reason, I thought you were traveling on business (one or two pieces). But I agree with luggage and trains... try schlepping suitcases for a family of 5! Lately, I've had to schlep suitcases for myself, wife, 4,2 and 1 year olds on the trains througout the EU. Oh, and throw in a standard stroller on for good measure!

I actually solved it a few years ago before #3; I purchased a cool truck/dolly that unfolds and packs very conveniently. I purchased it, in fact, at a hardware store at Passeig de Gracia right off Las Ramblas. So now I stack four travel size suitcases, bungee cord them, and that's that. I am my own sky captain and have actally had people ask me for help.

Of course, when the kids get older, they'll be responsible for their own luggage.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; Mar 22, 08 at 11:23 am

Search this Thread