Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No upgraded yet but CO still selling Y-up tix

Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and HH

Im Gold, it is 3 days before my flight and I was not upgraded today but CO is selling Y-up and First tickets. I called onepass to find out if everything was in correctly and they said it was. The Onepass rep said that sometimes they will hold a few first class seats to see if they can sell and if they dont they will give them out as upgrades. This makes sense from CO's point of view but not mine. I think if they say they will upgrade golds 3 days prior to the flight then they should follow through and give out the seats. Has anyone else gone through this or if this has been discussed please point out the thread. Ive done a search but came up with nothing.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Well, if CO gives it to you then they can't sell it, and they're in the business of selling, not giving. Looks like you answered your own question
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by gbryan84
This makes sense from CO's point of view but not mine. I think if they say they will upgrade golds 3 days prior to the flight then they should follow
CO doesn't say that, CO says that IF they WANT they will upgrade platinum,gold and silver IF they think they will not be able to sell those seats at their OWN discretion at 5,3,1 days before departure, if they are still seats available in the right buckets then they will upgrade elites at the gate again based on their own discretion. There is no rule that says "a gold will be upgraded 3 days before ALWAYS" .
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
CO doesn't say that, CO says that IF they WANT they will upgrade platinum,gold and silver IF they think they will not be able to sell those seats at their OWN discretion at 5,3,1 days before departure, if they are still seats available in the right buckets then they will upgrade elites at the gate again based on their own discretion. There is no rule that says "a gold will be upgraded 3 days before ALWAYS" .
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:31 pm

EUA upgrades for elites come out of the F bucket which are seats used for EUA's and milage upgrades.

Y-up upgrades for elites come out of the A bucket, which always exists if there are still seats to sell in the FC cabin.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
this is what bothers me with COs EUA, or better put with the way CO advertises about their Upgrades. It still gives the impression that fly CO become Elite we will Upgrade you when your window arrives.

Now ive gotten a number of Ups at the Plat window, it really depends on the route,hour, and time of yr. But CO doesnt sell it that way, CO sells it exactly as the OP took it. Buy a coach tkt and when the window of your Elite level opens if we have any available FC seat its yours. When in truth its anything but that.

Wanted to add I understand CO is a Biz and one in which it earns its $$$ by selling seats. I have no problems with that. My problem is the way in which CO tries to give the impression that if there are FC seats available at your window the seat is yours. They should do a better job of spelling it out as it really is, maybe even put in how just cause there are FC seats doesnt mean that they will be available for Upgrades even when your window arrives

Last edited by craz; Mar 17, 2008 at 6:48 pm
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlen111

Y-up upgrades for elites come out of the A bucket, which always exists if there are still seats to sell in the FC cabin.
this doesnt make any sense to me. If its true, then why would anyone ever buy a FC tkt and not a Y-UP
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by craz
this doesnt make any sense to me. If its true, then why would anyone ever buy a FC tkt and not a Y-UP
If they're not elite the Y-up doesn't exist. Or because they want to actually buy a F seat and not an upgrade to make sure that they actually get the F seat the whole way through.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K

F and Yup are about 3% from each other! On CO, i almost NEVER buy an F. Only reason I do is for the fact that I may be bumped, and want some "bite" to be able to force them to put me on a carrier in F, NOT Y! After all, Yup is still a Y!

I do this on transcons...especially mon/fri's.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
If they're not elite the Y-up doesn't exist. Or because they want to actually buy a F seat and not an upgrade to make sure that they actually get the F seat the whole way through.
Maybe it was a bug but Ive seen Y-UP w/o being logged in and I havent seen it when I was logged in and FC had availbility.

as for getting FC all the way thru, they will know that from get go no? and if its from the same exact bucket if they dont get it all teh way thru as a Y-Up why would they get it as FC?

I dont buy FC or Y-Up
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well... in some routes... like LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR the price $ difference between Y tickets and FC tickets are $25 to $40... so not a real perk for elites...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
F and Yup are about 3% from each other! On CO, i almost NEVER buy an F. Only reason I do is for the fact that I may be bumped, and want some "bite" to be able to force them to put me on a carrier in F, NOT Y! After all, Yup is still a Y!

I do this on transcons...especially mon/fri's.
an ins policy I guess then for irrops or equipment changes which can definitely leave a person sitting in a very bad Y seat and paying top $$ at the same time
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
In some cases, FC is cheaper than Y.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Very interesting.

as I said I dont buy FC or Y, but I do make sure that I can get either the window or aisle on the exit row before pushing the button. The only time I got stuck was on a MR when either the timing of the flight didnt allow me to get the ER or the cheaper fare basis wasnt available, but as luck would have it I was either EUAed or Battlefield in the end so it all worked out.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa

DISCOUNTED F (R, etc) is cheaper then Y at times. But then again, Y is NOT discounted coach!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.