Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Airlines faces manslaughter charges for Concorde crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver

This can't be good.

Link
US carrier Continental Airlines is facing manslaughter charges over the devastating crash of a Concorde plane into a hotel near Paris that killed 113 people.

A French public prosecutor has recommended similar charges be brought against a French engineer involved in the development of the now-grounded supersonic jet, the former head of France's civil aviation authority and two Continental Airlines staff.

A French judicial investigation concluded after the July 2000 crash that a piece of metal left on the runway from a Continental flight caused one of the Concorde's tyres to burst on takeoff and sent debris into the engine.

The plane crashed into a hotel outside Paris. A judge is expected to decide in coming weeks whether to accept the demand filed by the Pontoise prosecutor's office, located outside Paris, and bring charges.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
US carrier Continental Airlines is facing manslaughter charges over the devastating crash of a Concorde plane into a hotel near Paris that killed 113 people.

A French public prosecutor has recommended similar charges be brought against a French engineer involved in the development of the now-grounded supersonic jet, the former head of France's civil aviation authority and two Continental Airlines staff.
Where are the charges for the Air France maintenance personnel who were responsible for the missing spacer on AF #4590 that may have contributed to a premature rotation of the aircraft as the plane dangerously veered off course towards a 747 carrying French President Jacques Chirac?

Where are the charges for the Air France flight crew that took off with an overweight delta-winged aircraft in a tailwind?

Where are the charges for the flight engineer that shut down the number two engine without the concurrence of the captain even though that engine was still generating critical thrust?

In all fairness, a number of human errors and non-human factors conspired to cause the tragic crash of AF #4590. See, e.g., David Rose, Doomed: The Real Story of Flight 4590, The Observer, May 13, 2001. I trust and hope that the international aviation community has learned from them so that hopefully they will never again be duplicated. But to selectively pursue criminal charges against certain actors while ignoring the errors and omissions of others is reprehensible.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I hate the French as much as the next average American...but come on now, do we really expect anything other than reprehensible actions from them? They're the French, after all. Having gotten that off my chest, I find it hard to fathom that even the French would bring charges against dead people...sorry, SAT Lawyer.

And besides, is the prosecutor really going to go after the flight crew on the DC-10? If Wikipedia is true, as I haven't read the book, is the French government going to go after CO because the titanium piece on the runway was not FAA-legit? The whole thing is crap: yes, it's unfortunate that people were killed and a great piece of aviation history met its end as a result, but puh-leeze.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I thot I had read somewhere that the FAA does not require the thrust reversal rub strip (the piece of metal that fell off the CO DC-10) to be made of Titanium. So technically, it wasn't FAA spec. It exceeded spec !!

I also recall reading that the strip had been very recently installed on the DC-10. By a French maintence company under contract with CO.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Old news (Yawn)..its not anything new..CO legal department has done a good job with this item allready..Next.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
For those unaware, most of the world's legal systems do not contains provisions for punitive damages as a punishment and deterrent for negligence like in the United States. In the case of the French legal system, exposure to criminal liability -- and in this case, substantial criminal fines -- takes the place of punitive damages.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I hate the French as much as the next average American...but come on now, do we really expect anything other than reprehensible actions from them? They're the French, after all.
That's such an intelligent and thoughtful comment, I don't even know how to respond.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's such an intelligent and thoughtful comment, I don't even know how to respond.
What Steve said. Also, my guess would be that the average American would have no impression of the French based on first-hand information.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:20 am

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by sushibear
Also, my guess would be that the average American would have no impression of the French based on first-hand information.
Oh, come on now. This was just an odious comment.

Look at how many flights there are between US & France on a daily basis (& have been for many years.) There's a substantial portion of the American population who've visited France & have first hand experience with how charming and warm the country and its people can be regardless of the popular image.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by sushibear
What Steve said. Also, my guess would be that the average American would have no impression of the French based on first-hand information.
If you're insinuating that I haven't been there to experience it for myself, you would be wrong, hence how I've come to my opinion. Quit trying to come off as better than me.

Anyhoo, back on topic: the idea that the piece that fell off was "beyond spec" likely wouldn't fly...if the FAA didn't sign off, there is an element of wrongdoing. What annoyed me in the first place was why it has taken seven-plus years to get to this point. It doesn't seem legit to me. This whole thing is probably being driven by some kind of misguided anti-American sentiment, which in the end is OK, because the next time they get invaded, I hope we don't pick up the phone.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:36 am
pgh

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
If you're insinuating that I haven't been there to experience it for myself, you would be wrong, hence how I've come to my opinion. Quit trying to come off as better than me.
Aww c'mon... I am batting 2 for 2 in France. Twice visited, twice treated with disdain and contempt, it is a consistantly wonderful place to spend time. NOT!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:10 am

Folks lets stay on topic and not turn this thread in to a cultural debate.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
For those unaware, most of the world's legal systems do not contains provisions for punitive damages as a punishment and deterrent for negligence like in the United States. In the case of the French legal system, exposure to criminal liability -- and in this case, substantial criminal fines -- takes the place of punitive damages.
Legal systems are differenet and thius different approaches to justice, With no civil legal remedy I guess there are few options.

But lets get serious here folks. Had this occured in the US there would already be multiple lawsuits working their way through the system. ANd while you can say that these are civil vs criminal, the ultimate gaol is the same to try and assign blame.

I have no idea how that translates into recouping any losses under the french system...
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
It does not surprise me at all to see that some people have turned this into a "I hate France" discussion. I saw this story on the Today Show this morning, and I must admit, I am surprised that charges were filed. I am very familiar with the Concorde crash and the reasons behind it, but I certainly do not think that CO should be charged with manslaughter.

Who, specifically, will serve prison time on this? How does a company get charged with a criminal offense like manslaughter?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I hate the French as much as the next average American...but come on now, do we really expect anything other than reprehensible actions from them? They're the French, after all. .
What a tedious comment. Please do not presume to speak for others.

I, for one, do not hate the French.

As for a lawsuit, let a jury decide. That's true democray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.