Search

CO to Maui - Still Ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
CO to Maui - Still Ridiculous

I have long lamented CO's hijacking of their IAH-OGG 764 for (I think) the BA service and have resigned myself to changing planes in HNL. I am getting annoyed at always having to book the CO IAH-HNL and HA HNL-OGG tickets seperately. I don't have to do it that way, of course - CO allows you to book the tickets to/from OGG on CO and HA on their website - for $1400+ (for the particular dates I'm looking at). I have always found it cheaper to book IAH-HNL on CO website and then HNL-OGG directly w/ HA. $650 cheaper. I guess CO has figured there are enough numbskulls who will book their trip to Maui w/ CO to make up for cheapos like me.

It's been going on for years now and it's a little bit annoying. You can book HA between HNL and OGG for $49 each way and the CO ticket is $650 (again, for the dates I'm looking at in November). That's $750. A $650 mark-up for convenience?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Your issue is actually a technical one.

IAH-HNL is whatever it is, say $600 on CO
HNL-OGG is like $100 on HA
IAH-HNL-OGG on CO is $1,700

The problem is when booking it with co.com, it will offer you IAH-HNL-OGG all on CO codes. To get the better pricing, you need IAH-HNL on CO, HNL-OGG on the HA code. That will give you the lower price.

To build this all on one ticket, you can either use a third-party agency (e.g., Expedia), use CO Phone reservations, or if you're concerned about EQM, hold your IAH-HNL RT, then call Electronic Support (800-300-1547, Option 3), and then have them add in the HA segments (as HA). It should price properly, and you'll be all on one (1) ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Yep. And apparently enough people do it that CO keeps pricing it that way. Always check the break points when buying interisland tickets. Going direct to HA, WP, GO and Aloha will always be cheaper than booking through the mainland carrier, whether CO or anyone else.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs down Especially True in F

This is especially the case when you fly Business or First class to/through the islands.

As an example, EWR-OGG on random dates in August in J $4,370.90.
On the same dates, EWR-HNL in J is $2,704.28.

By not breaking up the HNL-OGG interisland flight off, that additional interisland round-trip is $1,662!!

The most expensive round-trip first class interisland ticket on HA is $218, so you'd be paying CO an 800% premium by booking it online their website.

I like flying interisland in F; you're 1st one on/off as are your bags... and you can hang out in their lounges while waiting for your flight (which comes in handy in places like KOA where the gate area is outdoors ...which can be very hot at times in the summer. I'd much rather be sipping guava juice in an airconditioned lounge ) However, unless you have money to burn, $1,662 just isn't worth the 30-minute or so each-way flight ...and even a non-discounted $218 makes it debateable.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
and you can hang out in their lounges while waiting for your flight
FWIW, the AQ lounge is a free perk for all UA Premier Exec and above flying on AQ. Even on a $39 ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Airport wait

I'd much rather be sipping guava juice in an airconditioned lounge )
I don't mind coach for 20 minute flight to Maui. Plus, w/usually just carry-on and Thrifty Blue Chip, I'm half way to Wailea while others are in the car rent line.

My neighbor island wait entails a teriyaki pineapple burger (mmmmmmm....) and a Longboard lager at the Maui bar/restaurant looking out the window across the tarmac/runway at Haleakala.

And smiling - knowing that I'm smart enough to book non-CO codeshare # tickets on HA.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
This is especially the case when you fly Business or First class to/through the islands.

As an example, EWR-OGG on random dates in August in J $4,370.90.
On the same dates, EWR-HNL in J is $2,704.28.

By not breaking up the HNL-OGG interisland flight off, that additional interisland round-trip is $1,662!!

The most expensive round-trip first class interisland ticket on HA is $218, so you'd be paying CO an 800% premium by booking it online their website.

Isn't this borderline fraud?? I'm sure some apologists will jump in to explain why this practice is acceptable, how it's the customer's fault for being stupid enough to book the higher fare, etc. But the airline websites all try to create the impression that they're giving us the lowest fare available when we book online, when in this instance the only option presented by CO is one that costs hundreds more for exactly the same flights.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Isn't this borderline fraud?? I'm sure some apologists will jump in to explain why this practice is acceptable, how it's the customer's fault for being stupid enough to book the higher fare, etc. But the airline websites all try to create the impression that they're giving us the lowest fare available when we book online, when in this instance the only option presented by CO is one that costs hundreds more for exactly the same flights.
I don't follow this logic. The flights are not exactly the same -- CO-coded vs. HA-coded with different prices. The CO-coded flights price identically at third-party sites, so what's the issue?

This is no different than Safeway charging a different price for a house brand item vs. a national brand item, when in reality, the national brand made the Safeway brand, so it's the same stuff inside the box. Usually the Safeway brand is cheaper, but sometimes the national brand is on sale and Safeway brand is more expensive. Buyer beware.

The downside to CO with this practice is the risk that someone will see the uncompetitive price, balk at it, and book elsewhere -- not just at a third-party site, but perhaps on another carrier altogether.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I don't follow this logic. The flights are not exactly the same -- CO-coded vs. HA-coded with different prices. The CO-coded flights price identically at third-party sites, so what's the issue?
You're kidding, right? It's the same plane, operated by the same airline, using the same gates, with the same seats, same service, same amenities, etc. etc.

This is no different than Safeway charging a different price for a house brand item vs. a national brand item, when in reality, the national brand made the Safeway brand, so it's the same stuff inside the box. Usually the Safeway brand is cheaper, but sometimes the national brand is on sale and Safeway brand is more expensive. Buyer beware.
If I pay for a brand name item at the store, the package doesn't say "Safeway," it says the name of the brand. If I paid a huge premium for a brand item and ended up with some package labeled "Safeway" which ordinarily costs far less, you'd better believe I'd demand my money back. When you show up for a 30-minute flight that CO charged you $1600 for, the plane says Hawaiian Air, the gates say Hawaiian Air, the ticket counter says Hawaiian Air, the employees wear Hawaiian Air uniforms, the seating and amenities are all Hawaiian Air, and lo and behold, the other passengers on the plane paid less than $100 for the same flight.

Which brings me to my next point. In how many instances is the price difference between a Safeway house brand and a brand-name item hundreds of dollars?

And here's another question for you: how many of the passengers who paid hundreds extra for the CO codeshare realize that they could have saved so much by booking the HA leg separately? If they found out, do you think they would still be satisfied with the value received for the money paid? Or do you think the majority of them would be p*ssed? Most people choosing between a Safeway house brand and a brand-name item know what they are paying for, and they can easily see the difference in price and labeling. The CO scam on Maui flights is far less transparent to ordinary travelers.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
And here's another question for you: how many of the passengers who paid hundreds extra for the CO codeshare realize that they could have saved so much by booking the HA leg separately? If they found out, do you think they would still be satisfied with the value received for the money paid? Or do you think the majority of them would be p*ssed? Most people choosing between a Safeway house brand and a brand-name item know what they are paying for, and they can easily see the difference in price and labeling. The CO scam on Maui flights is far less transparent to ordinary travelers.

It's not an issue about satisfaction with value. CO only displays their own filghts and prices at their website. Anyone who shops for a flight using only one carrier's website is only looking at a portion of what's available out there. Frankly, they deserve what they get. If they want to take CO so badly that they only look at co.com, what more can you do? CO is free to set whatever pricing they choose to. They're also free to sell you other carriers flights, should they wish to do so. They choose to only sell you CO-coded flights on their website (and not even all CO-coded flights at that).

Is it easy for the customer? Sure it is. Just pop up Orbitz or Expedia and comparison shop. If someone can get you to OGG for less than $1,400, well then you know what to do.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:14 pm

Ahh the good old days... flew direct to Maui on Continental back in 2003. Ridiculous is right. I'm flying again to Maui this Summer and guess who won't be getting my business. Thank goodness for that other Texas based airline out of Ft. Worth. So much for loyalty to the "hometown" airline. Continental's blatant gouging on that route stinks!!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cinco
Ahh the good old days... flew direct to Maui on Continental back in 2003. Ridiculous is right. I'm flying again to Maui this Summer and guess who won't be getting my business. Thank goodness for that other Texas based airline out of Ft. Worth. So much for loyalty to the "hometown" airline. Continental's blatant gouging on that route stinks!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, I think.

Considering how easy it is to not get gouged I'm not sure that it really matters that CO takes advantage of the pricing when they can. Maybe I should feel badly that others are getting screwed. Then again, that's their problem when it is so easy to find out that they're being taken advantage of. Anyone who doesn't comparison shop deserves to pay whatever the asking price is from the vendor they deal with. Maybe that's bad karma or something from me, but we can't go around babysitting everyone all the time.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: American Platinum
call Electronic Support (800-300-1547, Option 3), and then have them add in the HA segments (as HA).
Channa, Thanks, I didn't know about that, and it would have come in handy for me several times. Typically in a similar situation I'd book on, say, Expedia and not get full credit towards Elite status, or alternately do like Oil Trash and get two tickets on two carriers, which always makes me a little nervous if my first flight is late (so I miss second flight, and second carrier doesn't feel obligated to get me on next flight at no additional charge.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.