Wiki Posts
Search

Question about aircraft changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Question about aircraft changes

I've noticed that CO has reintroduced prop service in the IAH-LFT market recently, after having a few years of regional jet service only. I am not willing to fly any prop planes and thus I pay close attention when booking flights to ensure that it is scheduled to be jet service.

My question is if a plane is switched from jet to prop after I've booked my ticket, will I be able to either receive a full refund or be rescheduled on a jet service into Lafayette if available on the same day?

Most tickets I purchase are fully refundable (and quite expensive in this market >$800 these days), but there are rare occasions when the ticket is not refundable.

Does the passenger have any reasonable rights if the type of aircraft is different than what was expected, i.e., jet vs. prop?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aveRex
Does the passenger have any reasonable rights if the type of aircraft is different than what was expected, i.e., jet vs. prop?
Generally not. You can try to negotiate it with them, but I doubt you'll get very far. They generally are selling you transit from A to B within a rough timeframe; most everything else is "flexible" on the airline's part.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Generally not. You can try to negotiate it with them, but I doubt you'll get very far. They generally are selling you transit from A to B within a rough timeframe; most everything else is "flexible" on the airline's part.

I disagree. I would be polite, but firm, that they changed the operating carrier, and you do not wish to fly them on turboprop equipment. You bought a ticket to fly on X, and now they're sending you on Y. Ask if X has any flights that you could switch to, and if not, ask for an INVOL REFUND.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Channa and SBM12 for your replies. I haven't had this happen to me yet, but in the event it does, I will definitely request a different flight or involuntary refund. I just feel very uncomfortable on the props and have avoided them completely.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I tried it once too and Elite desk changed my ticket with no problem. No refund though, just switched to a different date and flight.

I bought an H fare SFO-EWR-DCA.... in a 757-200... the only reason I bought in that flight was because I wanted to experience the 752 AVOD.... something happened and the plane was changed to 753... I called and politely explained myself and requested to be switched to the following date that the 752 was scheduled... told them that when I booked my ticket I had the chance to get the same route in Q and at 1/4 of the price.... the agent agreed to change my flights with no fees...
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:41 pm
UncleBuck

Seeing as the prop planes and jets are flown by two entirely separate companies (Colgan Air vs. ExpressJet or Chautaqua), this scenario is highly unlikely, though not impossible.

Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Seems that another thread introduced by Channa, they may notify the customer when such a switch is made from Q400 to ExpressJet, which would be great...as long as they also do it when the reverse situation happens: ExpressJet to Q400.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.