FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Energy Plus: Onepass promotion (NY state electricity supply) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/798394-energy-plus-onepass-promotion-ny-state-electricity-supply.html)

yellow77 Mar 6, 2008 7:10 am

Energy Plus: Onepass promotion (NY state electricity supply)

The Onepass News and Offers site lists a new partner: Energy Plus, which is an ESCO (electricity supply company) in New York.
(Link: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...omoCode=A5314&.)
There is a 3000 mile sign-up bonus, then 2 miles per dollar on the supply component of your electricity bill. Plus what looks like the usual ESCO supply arrangements in NY (no sales tax on delivery portion of bill, blah blah).

Obviously the level of their supply charge matters for whether this is a good deal; they don't make it easy to find (perhaps it depends on what market you're in). There is a web form to fill out to ask for a quote - I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

It appears you can earn AA, NW, or CO miles (same deal in each case).

Anyone have experience with this company? ^ or :td:?

I think this is the first mileage-earning opportunity for electric service in NY (TX has had this for a while, I know). So an interesting development, in any case.

fly co to see the yanks Mar 12, 2008 10:17 am

bump.

any thoughts on our good friends at "Energy Plus"? google didn't have much to say on the matter.

anyone sign up yet for the cool 3K mile bonus?

yellow77 Mar 12, 2008 10:30 am

I emailed them using their website form, got a quote that appeared to be way above my current utility's price (10-15% above, not nearly worth earning 2 miles/dollar), and when they refused to respond to a second email, decided it wasn't worth the hassle for a measly 3000 miles. YMMV.

BettyKat Mar 12, 2008 3:55 pm

i got this email today from continental (am in nyc). i'm holding it until my next coned bill comes and will call coned to check into it. wonder if the mark-up is as high as another poster mentioned - will see what coned says...

Originally Posted by yellow77 (Post 9366326)
The Onepass News and Offers site lists a new partner: Energy Plus, which is an ESCO (electricity supply company) in New York.
(Link: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...omoCode=A5314&.)
There is a 3000 mile sign-up bonus, then 2 miles per dollar on the supply component of your electricity bill. Plus what looks like the usual ESCO supply arrangements in NY (no sales tax on delivery portion of bill, blah blah).

Obviously the level of their supply charge matters for whether this is a good deal; they don't make it easy to find (perhaps it depends on what market you're in). There is a web form to fill out to ask for a quote - I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

It appears you can earn AA, NW, or CO miles (same deal in each case).

Anyone have experience with this company? ^ or :td:?

I think this is the first mileage-earning opportunity for electric service in NY (TX has had this for a while, I know). So an interesting development, in any case.

kcshoe10 Mar 13, 2008 8:32 am

I'm interested too, anyone know anything?

I got an e-mail from Continenetal offering miles for Energy Plus service also. I can't find any red flags on the site, which in itself is a red flag. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Anything would help! Thanks!:confused:

ecq Mar 13, 2008 8:38 am

seems like it's a huge confusion. i would like to change it for the miles but it seems like people are saying it's more expensive.

it's not worth it if it's more expensive. also the hassle it would be to change over... i'm sure there's some change over fee like the phone companies have. and also i don't want to play around with switching over because what happens if one of them makes a mistake? i experienced the blackout in ny, and it's not fun without electricity.

fly co to see the yanks Mar 13, 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ecq (Post 9403647)
seems like it's a huge confusion. i would like to change it for the miles but it seems like people are saying it's more expensive.

it's not worth it if it's more expensive. also the hassle it would be to change over... i'm sure there's some change over fee like the phone companies have. and also i don't want to play around with switching over because what happens if one of them makes a mistake? i experienced the blackout in ny, and it's not fun without electricity.

1) "people" or person? i only see one person saying it is more expensive. do you have other anecdotal information?

2) hassle to change over? what hassle? filling out the form?

3) where do you see a reference to a change over fee?

4) why do you assume that this company will perform poorly (i.e., blackout reference)? i don't think con ed has been the picture of good service/consistency?

BettyKat Mar 14, 2008 3:18 pm

go to powertochooseny.com

got my coned bill today and called them. they referred me to the above web site, where you can compare rates among all the energy suppliers once you put in your zip code.

as you can see energy plus isn't the cheapest but the continental offer does include permanent waiver of sales tax etc.

i am going to sign up and try it for a few months to see how it works. at least i'll be getting miles for the energy bill plus the 3k bonus miles for sign-up.

regards,
katherine

ecq Apr 8, 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks (Post 9403940)
1) "people" or person? i only see one person saying it is more expensive. do you have other anecdotal information?

2) hassle to change over? what hassle? filling out the form?

3) where do you see a reference to a change over fee?

4) why do you assume that this company will perform poorly (i.e., blackout reference)? i don't think con ed has been the picture of good service/consistency?

are you a teacher? b/c it seems like you're trying to be one.

i just posted my opinion. there's no reason for you to be so crass about it. if you think it's wrong, post and move on! don't criticize me for my opinion!

it's obvious that you are in the same boat as me. you don't know how good this company is. so why is it that you're criticizing me when we're thinking the same. criticize yourself and see what you get, mr professor.

and to think, we root for the same team

and sorry to others for bringing up this post from a month ago. i was checking to see if there were any updates... and found this post

fly co to see the yanks Apr 8, 2008 6:45 am

Originally Posted by ecq (Post 9536586)
are you a teacher? b/c it seems like you're trying to be one.

i just posted my opinion. there's no reason for you to be so crass about it. if you think it's wrong, post and move on! don't criticize me for my opinion!

it's obvious that you are in the same boat as me. you don't know how good this company is. so why is it that you're criticizing me when we're thinking the same. criticize yourself and see what you get, mr professor.

and to think, we root for the same team

and sorry to others for bringing up this post from a month ago. i was checking to see if there were any updates... and found this post

what a silly reply (a month later). :rolleyes:

oh, and i notice that you didn't answer any of my questions, by the way.

namely, what exactly is the hassle? i actually made the change. i filled out an online form which took me all of about 45 seconds. no change fee was charged. i have no evidence that the service costs more. and, i'm not a teacher or a professor (you use the terms interchangeably even though one can be a teacher and not a professor).

all of your points couldn't have possibly been more inaccurate.

goflyakite Apr 11, 2008 6:34 am

anyone else tried this?

Has anyone else tried this "Energy Plus" program?
I'm tempted but would like to hear more feedback.
(And not just from one person who posts snotty remarks to other people's concerns--probably a shill for Energy Plus).

fly co to see the yanks Apr 11, 2008 7:09 am

Originally Posted by goflyakite (Post 9554739)
(And not just from one person who posts snotty remarks to other people's concerns--probably a shill for Energy Plus).

:)

great "first" post. ;)

yellow77 Mar 4, 2009 2:01 pm

Energy Plus turns out to be a rip-off

Waking up an old thread. I finally tried this when I got a targeted 5000-mile bonus offer (for US miles, to top off an orphan account to the 25K level). Don't. Their price in Feb in the ROC area was 12.5 c/kWh. The standard local utility (RG&E) would have charged between 5 and 6c/kWh for February. Even for a 5000-mile bonus, it isn't worth it.

ecq Mar 5, 2009 9:27 am

I wanted to change to Energy Plus at one point after a few letters from CO with miles. I read reviews online and they said that it was worse than Con Ed.

But glad to hear a review! ^

pueywei Jun 5, 2009 2:40 pm

Might be worth it if one is going to be away for a couple of months and will unplig everything. :D

By the way, it looks like they offer points for Marriott, Priority Club, AA, CO, Amtrack.