Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Energy Plus: Onepass promotion (NY state electricity supply)

Energy Plus: Onepass promotion (NY state electricity supply)

Old Oct 21, 10, 11:19 pm

seems like a looooot of unhappy people. . .

hi all,

i was seriously considering switching and taking advantage of the extra miles as well. after reading a few forums/reviews (links below), ive decided definitely not to switch. i thought it seemed too good to be true (claiming to have lower prices than my current provider without support and then also giving me miles for free). i dont know anyone personally who has switched, but i think this is enough info for me not to bother. . .

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...c-c236122.html

http://energy-plus-holdings.pissedco...731151632.html
Old Dec 18, 10, 5:08 pm

Energy Plus Offer from Continental

I received this offer today so naturally looked to read the online reviews. Surprised to find little factual info. I checked my PSE&G bills against Energy Plus website's posted historical rates.

Here's what I found:
10/15-11/15 PSEG 11.6 cents v. EP 11 cents
9/15-10/15 PSEG 12 cents v. EP 11 cents
8/15-9/15 PSEC 12 cents v. EP 12.2 cents
7/15-8/15 PSEG 12.4 cents v. EP 12.2 cents
6/15-7/17 PSEG 12.3 cents v. EP 11.3 cents
5/5-6/15 PSEG 11.9 cents v. EP 10.4 cents
4/15-5/15 PSEG 11.4 cents v. EP 9.8 cents
3/15-4/15 PSEG 11.6 cents v. EP 9.7 cents
2/15-3/15 PSEG 11.6 cents v. EP 10 cents
1/15-2/15 PSEG 11.6 cents v. EP 10.1

The guy who wrote in about the 6 cents prices was probably looking at the delivery charge and not the supply charge.

I'm signing up, will let you all know how it goes.

Deb
Old Dec 18, 10, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I did it a few years ago for the Amtrak miles. I let it go for about two years at first, because my first couple of bills didn't seem out of the ordinary (that's how they get you). The bills kept going up and up, but I just assumed that was because the price of electricity was going up and up.

One month I received a ridiculous bill, and I decided to look into it. Turned out Energy Plus was charging me more than twice as much as Con Ed. Con Ed's rate was a little over 8 cents; EP was charging like 17.
Old Dec 20, 10, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Now in New Jersey

I'm in NJ and just got a letter offering me 7,500 miles (as a CO Chase cardholder, which I am) or 5,000 miles (if not) for switching my electricity. Then, as a cardholder I would get 3 miles for every $1 spent on the "supply" portion of the bill. You get the initial bonus miles after 2 billing cycles.

What am I missing? I read the thread and still am not positive what this company does. My bill continues to come from my current electric company, if I have a customer service issue I call my current electric company, and if there's an outtage, I call my current company as well.

There's no charge to switch and no minimum time commitment. According to this thread their rates aren't necessarily better, particularly after the first year. Their mailing claims a 10% savings, but it's not guaranteed.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just switch, wait 2 months, get the 7,500 miles and switch back?

Also, where did I consent to CO selling my OP number (it's on the letter), name, and address to a third party company not even in the business of delivering travel-related services?
Old Dec 20, 10, 7:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
Also, where did I consent to CO selling my OP number (it's on the letter), name, and address to a third party company not even in the business of delivering travel-related services?

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...t/privacy.aspx

Consent
By utilizing the Continental Web Sites and/or enrolling as a OnePass Member, you are consenting to the use of personal data as herein described, including but not limited to the following uses of your data:
  • supplying it to our partners identified at http://www.continental.com/onepass/earn/; transferring it to other countries whether or not such countries have data protection laws; and
  • the processing of any personal and sensitive data included in the data you provide.
Old Dec 20, 10, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Good grief. First time I bothered reading this page. That's a lot of partners. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 11, 11:34 am

Energy Plus promotion not worth it; way inflated energy rates

I enrolled in the Energy Plus promotion to get Continental OnePass miles. Two billing cycles later and I am absolutely switching back to ConEd (NYC energy provider), as Con Ed's rate this month (Jan. '11) is 11 cents per kilowatt hour and Energy Plus is charging 19 cents per kilowatt hour for the exact same service. When I complained last month to Energy Plus, the said they would switch me to a lower billing plan, which turns out to still be 15.9 cents per kilowatt hour (compared to the 11 cents with my previous provider). My electric bill is monstrous and this is definitely not worth it for a few thousand miles. I could have purchased the miles outright and still saved money. I would steer clear of Energy Plus...grossly inflated rates!
Old Jan 19, 11, 11:49 am
Original Poster

What am I missing? I read the thread and still am not positive what this company does. My bill continues to come from my current electric company, if I have a customer service issue I call my current electric company, and if there's an outtage, I call my current company as well.

There's no charge to switch and no minimum time commitment. According to this thread their rates aren't necessarily better, particularly after the first year. Their mailing claims a 10% savings, but it's not guaranteed.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just switch, wait 2 months, get the 7,500 miles and switch back?
They are an electricity supply company. In states where this market is deregulated, the idea is that you can choose to have a supply company buy power on your behalf. Supply companies compete on price and other dimensions (with Energy Plus, it's that they offer a dreadful price and sweeten the deal with a few miles; other companies might offer electricity generated from non-polluting sources). You can pick whichever one you want. The bill for the electricity they supply is collected from you through your local utility company. Your local utility still handles the local part of electricity supply (maintaining wires locally, billing you, processing payments, fixing outages, reading your meter); they just don't actually buy electricity for you. Instead, they tell your supply company about how much electricity you used, the supply company indicates how much to bill you, and then they bill you on behalf of the supply company.

It makes a lot of sense in theory - electricity supply should be a competitive industry (anyone can generate power and feed it into the grid), electricity delivery is a natural monopoly (nobody is going to build a competing line to your house and a second meter). So, there is competition in the supply market and a regulated local monopoly in electricity delivery. It doesn't work so well in practice because the distinction is hazy for many people, plus there's a lot of inertia in sticking to the default supply company. So we haven't seen big benefits of competition reducing prices in electicity supply.

You'd have to be billed for three months to be assured of getting the miles (you have to still be a customer in the third month to get the miles, and usually there is a time lag of one month for the change of supply company to take effect). And it's not that their rates aren't necessarily better, it's that they suck. (If they charge you 8c/kWh extra like someone reported here, and you use 920 kWh per month like the average US residential customer, and you have to do that for two months, you're paying about $147 extra for the 7500 miles signup bonus plus a few hundred more miles for the 3 miles / $1 on supply charges. That's just under 2c per mile. If you have to stick for three months, we're now talking $220 extra for 7500 miles, more like 3c/mile. You can buy miles from CO directly for that using Mileage Maximizer, so just forget the whole thing at that point.

If you use only a few kWh each month, the numbers look a lot better. Just don't forget to cancel asap, since paying 8c extra per kWh ongoing is stupid.
Old Jan 19, 11, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCD127 View Post
The guy who wrote in about the 6 cents prices was probably looking at the delivery charge and not the supply charge.
I think you might be talking about my post. If so, you are wrong.

6c/kWh for supply was correct for the Rochester, NY area in early 2009. The supply part of my bill was double that for the three months I was an Energy Plus customer, then halved again when I returned to RG&E. Your numbers are different because RG&E is an extremely cheap utility (cheap hydro from Niagara), and also prices have risen substantially since 2009.

It could be that in your area Energy Plus offers a good deal, but don't say you haven't been warned that to proceed with caution.
Old Apr 1, 11, 6:02 pm

I do not think you are missing much. I just recieved this from AA for 7500 miles after 2 months plus 2 miles for every $1 spent. First month guanteed to be below local electric rate.

I called EP and they said they have only been in NJ for 4 months so did not have summer data. they claim to stay competitive

I have JCP&L and their current rate is about .1269 per KWH they told me August last year was .118KWH and they project about .1269 for the summer.

JCP&L will raise summer rates when you use over 600 KWH. Last year was hot in NJ and I only used 480 KWH at most with in window A/C units so pretty muc hit is fixed for me.

I think what OTHERS MISSED, is they did nto bother to ask the correct questions. It appears NY consumers who are complaining HAD NO IDEA HOW GOOD THEY HAVE IT!
Yes I would never switch for bonus miles if I was getting .06 KWH.

EP tells me the first month rate will be .113 KWH and their 4 months they had a range of .1121 and .113

As for some telling you are locked in for two extra months, in NJ that is not possible if you time it correct.

Talking to First Energy Corp which is JCPL., To switch to EP takes 10 days becasue they are required by law to send a letter to you of the switch. This is to prevent slamming. However they get it wrong since it is a do nothing and we will switch you rather than allowing you to call or sign something that you agree.
So you hve to wait 10 days even if you get the letter in 3 days.

Now it is next day switch if you want to switch back to the original supplier. That is, as long as you are going back to the company that brings you service, they do not have to mail you a switch back letter. I am pretty sure she said as long as you go back to the carrier you had prior. So if you swtiched to someone other than JCPL and then switched to EP then you are two companies removed and the letter would have to go out. I am probably not explaining it clear.

Basically just know that for JCPL at least in NJ, you can just call JCPL and switch back withotu another wait, PROVIDED you beat the meter read date.

I guess one factor to having to go an extra month otherwise is if they are slow in sending out the bonus. IF you get the miles two weeks into the 3rd month call JCPL and have them do the switch if it works for the meter read.

Seeing that if I do this my 2 months will be up before the hottest months and right now they claim to have stated competitivly below JCPL for the last 4 months.

So for me a a few pennies per KWH is not going to bother me since I am pretty good on my electric use. IF it jumps to $.18 KWH then yes I will not be happy but maybe the 2 miles for every $1 and the bonus will help.

As the rep pointed out, if they did not stay competitive they would loose customers.
But in the end I will be the one to blame if I do not keep up on them and those who complained about the rates and did not check before the switched, to see that they have it made in NY, then you can only blame yourself.

[QUOTE=tarheelnj;15492075]I'm in NJ and just got a letter offering me 7,500 miles (as a CO Chase cardholder, which I am) or 5,000 miles (if not) for switching my electricity. Then, as a cardholder I would get 3 miles for every $1 spent on the "supply" portion of the bill. You get the initial bonus miles after 2 billing cycles.

What am I missing?
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:07 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA GLD
ESCOs with affinity programs (such as Energy Plus) generally charge higher rates than ConEd. Very profitably companies with questionable value to the consumer. ESCO model has a lot of long term potential, but most companies to date have taken a marketing approach rather than a value to customer approach, particularly in NYC. If in Penn. , especially PP&L district, Dominion Energy may be a decent option, their approach is pricing 10% below utilities (but no miles).
Old Aug 6, 11, 4:57 pm

Energy plus and 15k onepass miles

Just got an offer. As a onepass credit card holder, i could get 15k bonus. Offer ends 9/8/11 -- 12k if not. While it looks awfully attractive even if i just stay with energy plus for the required 2 months (say 3 months), i'm not sure the hassle factor is worth it. I'm currently with jcp&l. What do you all think?
Old Oct 21, 11, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Just got the 12.5K offer from Energy Plus. Live in NJ and thinking about replacing delivery portions of my JCPL and PSEG service.

Anybody have recent experience with summer rates?
Old Oct 22, 11, 2:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance (Gold), HHonors (Diamond), Emerald Club (Exec Elite), SPG Plat, Clubcarlson Gold
Me too. Just got an offer... now wondering if I should switch or not. Hoping some existing members will post the latest update as it sounds pretty good. Too good to be true, perhaps?
Old Oct 22, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
I did switch and at first I saved 10% over PSE&G, after a few months I was paying 10% more then PSE&G. I switched back and now looking to sign a contract.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: