Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Energy Plus: Onepass promotion (NY state electricity supply)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Energy Plus: Onepass promotion (NY state electricity supply)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:14 am

This company is a rip off!

I tried them and the rates are over 2 times those of NYSEG. My first bill in November 2009, the charged .10875 just over 2 times the comparable NYSEG rate. I called and they gave me double talk about how rates vary and sometime they are higher but mostly they are lower. I said it's one thing to be slightly higher but over 2 times is nuts. I canceled immediately but conveniently, it takes another billing cycle.

I just got my December 2009. Sure enough, I am charged .13135 when the comparable NYSEG rate was .0449. That is almost 3 times the NYSEG rate! Don't waste you time with this company.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by kesslera
This company is a rip off!

I tried them and the rates are over 2 times those of NYSEG. My first bill in November 2009, the charged .10875 just over 2 times the comparable NYSEG rate. I called and they gave me double talk about how rates vary and sometime they are higher but mostly they are lower. I said it's one thing to be slightly higher but over 2 times is nuts. I canceled immediately but conveniently, it takes another billing cycle.

I just got my December 2009. Sure enough, I am charged .13135 when the comparable NYSEG rate was .0449. That is almost 3 times the NYSEG rate! Don't waste you time with this company.

Anyone else seconds this? I got an email from continental today with a 7500 miles offer. That's a lot of miles, and I barely pay $50/month in electric/gas right now. Even if it's a little bit more expensive it could be worth it, since I only have to use Energy Plus 2 months.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Benjh
Anyone else seconds this? I got an email from continental today with a 7500 miles offer. That's a lot of miles, and I barely pay $50/month in electric/gas right now. Even if it's a little bit more expensive it could be worth it, since I only have to use Energy Plus 2 months.
See my report up-thread. Realize you probably have to use them 3 months since the miles won't credit until you use them for 2 months, but you can only switch on the meter read date. With that said, I would only consider this if you are going on a 3 month vacation. It is a dreadful deal.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by yellow77
See my report up-thread. Realize you probably have to use them 3 months since the miles won't credit until you use them for 2 months, but you can only switch on the meter read date. With that said, I would only consider this if you are going on a 3 month vacation. It is a dreadful deal.
Are the rates available online somewhere?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I use this outfit for electricity generation at my CT house, and their prices have been consistently around 5 to 10 % below the native generator in Connecticut: CL&P.

However, it took several months for the switch to take place, and once, because of human error, the rate appeared to have tripled (the overcharge was reversed within days, but caused several 20+ minute phone calls).

So I have saved some money on electricity generation and received AA miles.

I will note that the CL&P rates are around 12˘ per Kwh, and the Energy Plus rates are around 11˘ per Kwh. Several people upthread are talking about rates in the range of 4˘ to a nickel per Kwh. Those are unheard of in Connecticut!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:50 pm

Just checked, my rate with ConEd NY is 9c. If E+ charges 11c, but gives me a 10% rebate on delivery charges, I'm about even or maybe 10% over. Definitely worth 7500 miles for three months. Will report when I get my first bill.

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I use this outfit for electricity generation at my CT house, and their prices have been consistently around 5 to 10 % below the native generator in Connecticut: CL&P.

However, it took several months for the switch to take place, and once, because of human error, the rate appeared to have tripled (the overcharge was reversed within days, but caused several 20+ minute phone calls).

So I have saved some money on electricity generation and received AA miles.

I will note that the CL&P rates are around 12˘ per Kwh, and the Energy Plus rates are around 11˘ per Kwh. Several people upthread are talking about rates in the range of 4˘ to a nickel per Kwh. Those are unheard of in Connecticut!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:02 pm

Another issue to consider is just how MUCH electricity you use.

For me, and others who don't use much, the delivery charge is by far the largest part of my bill, and that is the same no matter WHO is the supplier... Because of that the variance in the per unit supply cost is not as important.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: continental
links for somewhat better energy plus offers...

I think it all depends where you live. I live in CT where the rates seem to be much higher than in NY according to your posts. I pay 11.5 cents upto 628kWh and then 12.4 cents UI as of Jan 2010. I called energy plus and found their current rate is 10.9 kWh. So it's a bit cheapter than UI, though the rep told me the rate could change. I am seriously considering to switch.

As promised in the title, I have a few better offers to share:

if you're member of priorituy club rewards, they give you 10K points if you switch: www.energyplusrewards.com/pc3056

if you're NY resident and American Air member, you could get 10K miles if you switch:
www.energyplusrewards.com/aa01

At any rate, you'd be wise to call energy plus (866-964-5672)and ask their rate in your area before making the decision. I'd also ask the rep whether they have any better offers... Good luck, everybody.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:22 am

Rate?

So what is their rate in NY? I am a Con Ed customer, so my supply rate is likely much higher than NYSEG. The big thing that these ESCO's push is that you save the "up to" 9.75% sales tax.

Someone said in an earlier post that they went to a link and were able to view the rate, but I do not see it. I sent them email asking for a historical chart showing their rate vs Con Ed. We'll see if they send me anything.

Last edited by MisterBill; Mar 19, 2010 at 11:31 am
Old May 27, 2010, 10:32 am

EnergyPlus rates twice ConEd's rates in Mar and April 2010

I called EnergyPlus and ConEd to ask their electricity rates for March and April 2010 for NYC and Westchester County. EnergyPlus was over twice as expensive as ConEd.

When I asked each what the projected rate for June was, both projected 9 cents per kWh. It will be interesting to see what the actual rates are. Market electricity rates fluctuate daily, and I'm guessing that companies vary considerably how much they add onto the wholesale electricity prices (mark-up). I'm skeptical about projected rates. History is a better indicator.

The hook is that EnergyPlus and various airlines partner to offer frequent flyer miles (10,000 miles on United, according to the junk mail I received, plus 1 mile for every $2 spent on electricity through EnergyPlus). However, if the energy rates are double those of ConEd, it won't be a very good deal (example: if your ConEd bill is normally $100 per month and EnergyPlus is $200 per month for the same usage, that frequent flyer plan would cost you $100 per month!). There is a minimum of two full billing cycles, plus one more month to cancel--three months minimum at possibly twice the electricity bill rate.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:50 pm

I think the best use for this promo is if you have very low usage. If you use a lot of eletricity during the summer for AC, that is not the time to switch. BTW, remember that of your $100 electric bill, the supply is probably a third of that.

In general, ESCO's are not a good deal in New York. This outfit may be worse than most.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
I just received my first April bill, living in NYC. 9.875 for E+ supply charge, 10.378 for delivery charge. I don't know if you can see the table below.... It really depends on when (peak or off peak) do you use the energy. If you use energy mostly on peak time, you will be charging more money. Also see note below, in NY, there are 7% guaranteed save for 2 months....

People complaining just don't understand how it works....

But don't get me wrong, I do think it will cost more for E+, but just say it worth to stay 2 or 3 months for 10K miles for AA...

Standard Customer Voluntary Time-of-Use Customer
Total Kwhr Usage
(cents per kWh) On Peak kWh Usage
(cents per kWh) Off Peak kWh Usage
(cents per kWh)
Market Supply Charge 7.0 10.1 5.0
Supply Related Adjustments 5.1 5.1 5.1
Supply Charge 12.1 15.2 10.1

Welcome to Con Edison's PowerMove Enrollment Center.

With PowerMove, you will receive a 7% discount off the Con Edison price for energy supply for two months when you choose to buy your energy supply from an energy services company. To participate, you must be buying your electricity and/or natural gas supply from Con Edison.

Consider the advantages and convenience of the PowerMove program--

The PowerMove program guarantees you a 7% discount off the Con Edison price for energy supply for two months.
You can have Con Edison randomly assign an energy services company (ESCO) to serve you or you can choose your own.
You will receive one consolidated bill from Con Edison for both your Con Edison (delivery) and ESCO (supply) charges.
You can cancel the agreement at any time without penalty.
It important for you to know that the PowerMove discount can be applied only once to each service on your account. Also, savings beyond the introductory period are not guaranteed.

To enroll in PowerMove, just click the Enroll in PowerMove button:

To cancel participation in PowerMove, just click the Cancel Participation button:

Click here to report trouble with your electric service or click here to check on the status of a previously reported electric service problem.
For gas emergencies, please call our toll-free number 1-800-752-6633. DO NOT send an e-mail.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:28 am

I switched to E+ around Feb/March suckered in by the 7K Delta miles they were offering. Same story as everyone - the first month or so my rate was marginally higher, but for May I received a bill at 19c/kWh, which is outrageous.

Just called them to cancel service (even though I have still not seen the Delta credit), and got the same "end of billing cycle" BS as other posters have. After pressing the operator to tell me of ANY month when I would have saved money with E+ over ConEd in NY, and calling their marketing deliberately misleading, I was able to get her to offer me a one-time "courtesy" credit for $25 in addition to the cancellation.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Anyone had issue for the miles not appearing not appearing in the incorrect amount. I suppose to recieving 10,000 bonus miles but onyl got 4,000.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by devastor
Anyone had issue for the miles not appearing not appearing in the incorrect amount. I suppose to recieving 10,000 bonus miles but onyl got 4,000.
Same here. 4000 instead of 7000.
Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.