CO or UA in J TATL???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold, AF Plat and other minors
CO or UA in J TATL???

Hi,

I need professional advise.

I have to be in MCO (from TXL) on sunday by 16h00.

So far, my search is not really wonderful. I got 2 choices: UA or CO.

UA: TXL-FRA-ORD-MCO: FRA to ORD is a 777
CO: TXL-EWR-MCO: CO is 757

I have never fly with them in J. Obviously, I would like to maximise my Aeroplan but confort is also important. Continental schedule is one stop. How is CO in 757 J?

How is CO vs UA in J?

Thanks,

aad665
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I would take the CO 757.

The seat is similar to UA's seat, but it has newer AVOD and power controls. You'll be fighting half the number of people at immigration and luggage pickup. I think the one stop option vs 2 stops would tip the scales to CO.

Some people will whine and moan about not having a widebody on a TATL flight, but in biz class it just doesn't matter. Its a very comfortable ride.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I would go with CO simply based on the far more direct itinerary. Do you really want to make 2 stops when you can do the same trip in one stop?

Even if you are not thrilled about flying a 757 TATL, the J service on CO is fine (certainly equivalent to UA's J if not better in some respects) and it will indeed be less of a madhouse boarding and disembarking.

Just make sure you have an FC seat for the U.S. domestic portion EWR-MCO, as CO coach is very cramped and uncomfortable.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

As I never fly with CO before, I am bit anxious. I usualy fly with AC/LH/AF/BA.

BF service in 757 is not so bad with CO? I don't mind about narrow or wide body.

Is custom at EWR is easy? Connection easy? Lounge good? I am not Skyteam Elite.

Thanks,

aad665
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aad665
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

As I never fly with CO before, I am bit anxious. I usualy fly with AC/LH/AF/BA.

BF service in 757 is not so bad with CO? I don't mind about narrow or wide body.

Is custom at EWR is easy? Connection easy? Lounge good? I am not Skyteam Elite.

Thanks,

aad665
CO's BF service is among the best, if not the best of U.S. carriers' J. You will be satisfied. The seat is not true lie-flat but very comfortable nevertheless. The 757 has the advantage of having 2 flight attendants for only 16 passengers.

Food is good, perhaps a little "Amerikanski," but generally well prepared and presented.

EWR customs is usually excellent. If you happen to hit when one of the Asian flights comes in, there will be a long line (I take it you are not a U.S. citizen), but it will, in any case, be a far more pleasant experience than the madhouse at ORD.

The lounge is good by North American standards but would be considered poor to average by European or Asian standards. It is clean, large, has nice bathrooms, showers, work stations. Food choices consist of apples, oranges, crackers and some packaged cheese. There is a bar with a combination of free and paid drinks. You do not need to be ST elite to visit the lounge, just holding a CO J ticket.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
FYI, ORD-MCO on UA is on Ted, all Economy seats.
Yo could go FRA-IAD-MCO and get UA's new C class (lie flat beds)
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
Maybe look at it from another angle. We have this saying around our company...Never fly to Chicago (ORD) unless you are going to Chicago. The airport is very busy and prone to long weather and other delays. Newark has it's share of problems but may be a more reliable connection point and as previously noted is the more direct route...
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; UA Silver
I would stick with Continental as well. The BF config on the 757 is very nice and Newark will be a much better connection to MCO, rather than going to Frankfurt and Ohare.

AVOD for the day time TATL makes the flight go by really quickly.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BDLORD
FYI, ORD-MCO on UA is on Ted, all Economy seats.
Yo could go FRA-IAD-MCO and get UA's new C class (lie flat beds)
I just flew CO yesterday on this route. True I was in the back. But I still would have preferred LH with a TXL-FRA-EWR connection then being on that 757. Needed to get to a lav and couldnt as the 1 aisle was blocked with the carts in it

If it was me Id look into the TXL-IAD-MCO timing and if it worked do that rather then fly CO again on a 757 for 9 1/2 hrs and then another narrow-body for another 2+ hrs to MCO from EWR.

BTW BF was not with the leather seats
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I just flew CO yesterday on this route. True I was in the back. But I still would have preferred LH with a TXL-FRA-EWR connection then being on that 757. Needed to get to a lav and couldnt as the 1 aisle was blocked with the carts in it

If it was me Id look into the TXL-IAD-MCO timing and if it worked do that rather then fly CO again on a 757 for 9 1/2 hrs and then another narrow-body for another 2+ hrs to MCO from EWR.

BTW BF was not with the leather seats
That won't matter to the OP, though, because (s)he would be flying BF.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. I did a choice...and will fly CO! Overall, you have convinced me that CO 757 BF isn't so bad + 1 connection at EWR it much better than 2 connection +ORD.

UA: it is no such routing as TXL-IAD-MCO....maybe UA should take a new look as 1 BF left for CO. It seems not a bad flight for CO.

Let see now.

Thanks again,

aad665
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. I did a choice...and will fly CO! Overall, you have convinced me that CO 757 BF isn't so bad + 1 connection at EWR it much better than 2 connection +ORD.

UA: it is no such routing as TXL-IAD-MCO....maybe UA should take a new look as 1 BF left for CO. It seems not a bad flight for CO.

Let see now.

Thanks again,

aad665
aad: You will be happy. Just make sure you get an FC seat for EWR-MCO...
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Hi,

Let see now.

Thanks again,

aad665
Is there a BA TXL-LHR-MCO or AF TXL-CDG-MCO layover between connections might be longer then at EWR. But youd get what I feel is a much better seat and service, although youd have to put up with Europe Biz to LHR or CDG.

I thought LH flew non-stop TXL-IAD and since IAD is UAs Hub I would have thought they would have had several flights a day to MCO

Or take whomever to LHR and VS Upper Class LHR-MCO and really know you are in for a Great flight
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by craz
I thought LH flew non-stop TXL-IAD and since IAD is UAs Hub I would have thought they would have had several flights a day to MCO
IAD-MCO are Ted flights .
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Do you have miles or other certs to upgrade UA C to F?
If so, then I'd say choose UA.
Otherwise, I like CO J service a little better than UA C service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.