CO vs. Swiss Air

Old Mar 3, 08, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

CO vs. Swiss Air

Hi there,
Im a creature of habit. And while Im not an elite this or that, I like CO and go out of my way to book their BF product when I travel once or twice a year. Im comfortable with it. Im used to it and know what to expect. I like the width of the seats, I like the "up front" and frankly, I like the ice cream sundaes.

That being said, CO is a much more expensive flight for my July cruise(open jaw bos to bcn, vce to bos)on a BF ticket and im having a tough time making it work. TA also does not suggest that I codeshare with Alitalia on my way home(cancellation of flights from venice to rome is frequent). BOS to BCN itinerary works well, but VCE to BOS isnt working.

She has offered me another choice(many really but only a couple lines I like). BA or Swiss Air. I am not partial to the airbus with is the aircraft Swiss uses. I flew on Delta a couple of times upfront on the Airbus and as a larger person(taller etc), I like CO better.

Has anyone flown both CO and Swiss to offer a comparison. Really, im interested in comfort. Id give up a gourmet meal and quality of service any day for flight comfort.
Thoughts?
M
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Delta doesn't have any Airbus aircraft in the fleet, they used to have some A310s, but those have been gone well over a decade now. Recent generation long haul is all on 777, 767, and 757 aircraft... all Boeing. In the past they also flew MD-11 (Douglas) and L-1011 (Lockheed) but those can't hardly be compared to any business class product out there today.

The type of aircraft in general shouldn't affect the quality of the business class seats or service. Any carrier can configure their aircraft how they wish whether that be good or not so good.

I'm not familiar at all with LX's product up front, but I've heard its pretty nice. ZRH is an easy airport to deal with for connections as well. I don't think I would want to deal with LHR so BA would be out even though the biz product is nice. LHR is still on the carry on bag policy though some other London area airports have lifted that.

Since you don't care about status miles, if you find a decent connection you might try using one of the out of alliance carriers across the ocean. There are several really nice non-traditional options out there from New York to Europe. All of these carriers have mileage agreement with one or more of our domestic carriers to earn RDMs, just not status miles. (Exception SQ in *A)

Qatar Airways (QR) EWR-GVA
Emirates (EK) JFK-HAM
Singapore Airlines (SQ) JFK-FRA (Star Alliance)
Jet Airways (9W) JFK/EWR-BRU

Last edited by dvs7310; Mar 3, 08 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
LHR is still on the carry on bag policy though some other London area airports have lifted that.
This is not true. LHR now allows 2 bags (carry-on + personal item). LGW is the only London airport that is still limited to one.
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I'm assuming you would be considering LX's business class. From Boston to Zurich you would be flying on LX's 340, the flagship of the fleet.

In Boston you would have access to Lufthansa's excellent Business Lounge. In Zurich there is a terrific LX Business Lounge that puts any PC deeply to shame.

On board the seat is not quite as wide as CO's (20.5" vs 22") but there is more legroom (60" seat pitch vs 55" on CO). It's one of those angled lie-flat seats, perhaps a little harder than the CO BF barcalounger.

While perhaps not quite to the level of excellence of the defunct Swissair, the service on Swiss (LX) is highly regarded. You won't find any sundaes, but the food on LX is outstanding Euro-moderne airline food.

The service is courteous and professional, although the Swiss are the Swiss so I wouldn't call it exactly effusive.

And, by the way, the A-340 is an outstandingly comfortable and quiet jet. You will have no issues with this aircraft at all.
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

my mistake

dvs...
I was in error. I flew Delta to CDG a few years back and it was via Air France(not sure of the correct lingo but hopefully you know what I mean). I hated everything about it from seats to service. It may have been an isolated experience (but enough to know that i will avoid CDG and Air France at all costs...perhaps if is spoke french?).

I will do some more research. I guess Im just feeling a bit of separation anxiety of flying another airline. Such power they have!

As for Zurich, thank you for the input. Im glad that it is easy to navigate as it seems as if it is the best choice for my needs if CO doesnt work.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is not true. LHR now allows 2 bags (carry-on + personal item). LGW is the only London airport that is still limited to one.
Ok, I guess I remembered that one backwards... that makes LHR only slightly more tolerable but at least I can take it off my blacklist.
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Twa

exactly what i was looking for. Comfort is all about seat width. If my behind is happy....Im happy(sundaes or no sundaes, service or no service...or if i had a few less sundaes, seat width would not be a concern).

Im going to pursue CO with TA until im convinced nothing works in my budget. BOS to BCN could be a possibility if I want to chance Alitalia VCE to Rome then CO from Rome to EWR to BOS. It would be a long day/night however.

Im glad that if I choose Swiss that the lounges are nice. Some PC's I have not been impressed with. Im partial to the one in MAN. Its nice when they recognize you.
M
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by msbiojojo View Post
dvs...
I was in error. I flew Delta to CDG a few years back and it was via Air France(not sure of the correct lingo but hopefully you know what I mean). I hated everything about it from seats to service. It may have been an isolated experience (but enough to know that i will avoid CDG and Air France at all costs...perhaps if is spoke french?).

Thanks
A lot of non-French speakers feel the same way about Air France and CDG. I do speak it, so I don't really mind either, but I know where you are coming from. They have upgraded some of the seats since you've likely flown them, however you're still going to get the same French surliness.

In reading one of the posts above, I wasn't aware LX had a BOS-ZRH flight, this is the one I would choose without a doubt. You'll only have one nice easy connection in ZRH each way, though your flight VCE-ZRH might be on a regional jet, they are the better RJs that you can actually stand up in and its a very short flight.
Old Mar 4, 08, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Triple-check that the LX flight is on an A340, not an A330. The seats on the A330 in J are pretty uncomfortable, particularly for those taller than 5' 8" or so.

Otherwise, the LX service is great and connecting in ZRH is a dream.
Old Mar 4, 08, 2:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
On board the seat is not quite as wide as CO's (20.5" vs 22") but there is more legroom (60" seat pitch vs 55" on CO). It's one of those angled lie-flat seats, perhaps a little harder than the CO BF barcalounger.
This depends upon the plane. BF on a 757 (which is what I am assuming the OP will fly to BCN if they are going via EWR?) is only 20" wide. The 767 is only 21" wide, and one of the FCO-EWR flights is on a 767. Only the 777 is 22" wide.

As for the other option (BA), I'm curious about the routing. I think BA only flies to VCE from Gatwick, in which case I wouldn't be willing to do an airport change, unless you wanted to use the opportunity to spend a night or two in London on the way back. Otherwise, I would not say that LHR is that much worse than connecting at EWR. Maybe not better, but I don't think it is any worse, particularly on the return flight, where you don't have to claim and recheck bags. ZRH is much better than both.
Old Mar 4, 08, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Im not that happy...but thank you..

Im outside my comfort zone and am ready to pitch a fit because i didnt get my way but this is what I have.

LX seems to be my best option to coordinate times locations etc. CO simply doesnt work. BA arrives in LHR and changes to Gatwick which a previous poster commented on and that seems like a lot of work. TA is checking with Delta, while i dont like them (Guilt by association with Air France), I will see what they have to offer but im fairly certain this is the option.

My flights are through Zurich which is a plus, however i have now coordinated with friends flying coach on LX so using the private lounge is awkward(in addition to being the only one sitting up front).

Im flying BOS ZUR (A340-300) ZUR BCN(A321)
VCE ZUR(Fokker 100) ZUR BOS (A330-200)

What do you think? Im flying four different planes. I dont like change. Remember, I only care about my behind..not the friendly faces.
M
Old Mar 4, 08, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Im outside my comfort zone and am ready to pitch a fit because i didnt get my way but this is what I have.

LX seems to be my best option to coordinate times locations etc. CO simply doesnt work. BA arrives in LHR and changes to Gatwick which a previous poster commented on and that seems like a lot of work. TA is checking with Delta, while i dont like them (Guilt by association with Air France), I will see what they have to offer but im fairly certain this is the option.

My flights are through Zurich which is a plus, however i have now coordinated with friends flying coach on LX so using the private lounge is awkward(in addition to being the only one sitting up front).

What do you think? Im flying four different planes. I dont like change. Remember, I only care about my behind..not the friendly faces.
M
You're flying business on the transatlantic I'm assuming? If so, you'll be fine. As pbarnette noted, the A330 isn't quite as comfortable as the A340, but it will be fine.

Swiss has excellent service, very professional, very polished.
Old Mar 5, 08, 2:08 am
Suspended

M
I don't think this is a bad itinerary. The big plus is that you get the A340 for the overnight portion. The A330 seats aren't the best, but they are okay for the daylight flights. And, overall, I like the A330/A340 layouts, which are like a spacious 767. The other two planes are fine, but don't get your hopes up about intra-European flights (on any carrier) - they are not even close to the standards of US domestic First Class.

Otherwise, I greatly prefer to connect in Europe, rather than the US. To that end, and knowing that BA doesn't work, your other options out of Boston would be Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia, or Northwest (connecting with KLM). It sounds like Air France is out. But, I wouldn't dismiss Northwest (on the A330), if the pricing works. I think the seats are very comfortable, and the rest of the experience is quite good, in my experience. Indeed, I think the NW lounge in BOS is better than the Lufthansa lounge, and the Schengen-side lounge in Amsterdam is probably as nice as the LX Zurich lounge.
Old Mar 5, 08, 2:40 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Bronze + other less precious metals
I am surprised nobody has mentioned IBERIA. It may not be the best airline that's out there (in terms of service, etc), but it would work a treat for this itinerary (BOS-MAD-BCN // VCE-MAD-BOS).

Gives you:
- 1 easy change at MAD's new Terminal 4 both ways
- A340s on the transatlantic flights with the new BusinessPlus seats
- A320s on the European legs (nothing special in terms of seats, but that's the same as any European airline)
Old Mar 7, 08, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

thanks so much,
I have yet one more decision and I know there is someone who can tell me about the MD 82...

I really dont like the idea of the Fokker from VCE to ZHR, my thought is that if im paying a great deal of money...shouldnt i at least be in a seat different than economy and if not... i should just fly economy. I realize that the idea of business class in Europe is very different than the US perspective...and Im glad you all told me or id be disappointed(or at least be feeling uninformed if i showed up for on the Fokker and got an eco seat).

So, my travel agent can fly me BOS EWR BCN (737, 757)
and then VCE FCO EWR BOS (MD 82, 777, 737)
It would cost me about 600 more than LX, but id get my miles and my airline. BUT

The MD 82 would be a short flight in economy which i wanted to avoid.

Question....does the MD82 have two cabins or is it all eco?
And Id have to change planes in Rome...it sounds more intimidating than ZHR?? BUT id get to fly on a 777 which i have never done.

What do you think?
M

Search this Thread