Wiki Posts
Search

CO vs. Swiss Air

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by msbiojojo
So, my travel agent can fly me BOS EWR BCN (737, 757)
and then VCE FCO EWR BOS (MD 82, 777, 737)
It would cost me about 600 more than LX, but id get my miles and my airline. BUT

The MD 82 would be a short flight in economy which i wanted to avoid.

Question....does the MD82 have two cabins or is it all eco?
And Id have to change planes in Rome...it sounds more intimidating than ZHR?? BUT id get to fly on a 777 which i have never done.

What do you think?
M
Five segments versus 4, $600 more, and connecting in Newark both ways rather than Zurich? Certainly not for me.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't pay that much more for the extra flight and the miles. The MD82s are fine, but I don't recall a "real" J cabin in them. I cannot think of any smaller narrow-body plane operated on regional Europe flights that has one. Some 757/A321s might, but I haven't seen them. The FCO connection isn't terrible, but not as easy as ZRH.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
The LX Fokker 100 and the AZ MD82 aren't going to be noticably different from your behind's perspective. They are both extremely short flights. I would expect a more civilized boarding process on LX than AZ. my experiences with AZ have been the same as boarding a plane in Asia... Italians just seem to board in one huge mass rather than in any sort of order.

I've only connected in MXP in Italy, never FCO so I can't say how bad it might be there, but if its like MXP then its an experience to be avoided. Most flights at MXP board by stairs and a shuttle bus.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The MD82s are fine, but I don't recall a "real" J cabin in them. I cannot think of any smaller narrow-body plane operated on regional Europe flights that has one. Some 757/A321s might, but I haven't seen them.
I think BA is as close as you get to a "real" J cabin in Europe. And it isn't that close.

Worrying about the experience for your intra-European flights is, frankly, a waste of your time and money. I would worry about cost, the overwater experience, and connections. If you really care about the intra-European experience, the best you can do is minimize the time in the air.

LX makes the most sense.

If you really want CO miles, then I would recommend NW/KL, via AMS. CO just isn't practical here. If you do fly LX, look into Lufthansa's FF program, as you will get 200% miles.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:48 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I have flown CDG/MXP several times on AZ in the last couple of years. I was on one of the M80s each time, and though it looks a little threadbare, J is quite nice. The front cabin is laid out like those in the States, and on those short flights, they served a nice lunch. It's the only plane I've been on in Europe that had a real 2-2 setup in J with plenty of leg room. Boarding was handled like FC boarding in the States and the FAs were very good. I had low expectations for the first flight, though, so maybe that's why I was impressed--much better than AF J intra-Europe.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:29 am
Original Poster

decided

Well im booked.
I asked my ta to book the Swiss Air flights. As you have all intimated, CO just doesnt work easily.

The 340 and 330 on the long hauls sound like they will be just fine. The A321, ZHR to BCN blocks the middle seat on the side with 3 seats despite it being standard eco seats(i read that on their website...europe business class) which will be fine and I will ask for a window. As for the Fokker, I will take my chances as you have all said, its an hour from VCE to ZHR. I will choose the 2 seat side for this flight i think.

Im spoiled I must admit so I will go with an open mind and moderate expectations for Intra Europe service.

Thanks,
M
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

TA just called

Hello all,
I now feel as if you have more than educated me in the inner workings of the "intra europe" flight in business class. And Im so glad you did. Several people ive spoken to who travel(not much or not in business), did not know that the business class may not "really" be a business class product that we know of in the us.

Anyhow...travel agent said that I could do a round trip CO BOS EWR BCN...and all i would need to do is find a flight out of venice(off of cruise) back into bcn(where we sailed out of) to catch my flight back home.

She mentioned Iberia(and I cringed as i read up on many of the reviews) and that it is an economy flight only. She was going to look to see if there were other carriers that could get me to bcn in time for my flight. Id be able to get my miles....id only have one extra stop vce to bcn. Could be an option but id have to do some searching.
M
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Well im booked.
I asked my ta to book the Swiss Air flights. As you have all intimated, CO just doesnt work easily.

The 340 and 330 on the long hauls sound like they will be just fine. The A321, ZHR to BCN blocks the middle seat on the side with 3 seats despite it being standard eco seats(i read that on their website...europe business class) which will be fine and I will ask for a window. As for the Fokker, I will take my chances as you have all said, its an hour from VCE to ZHR. I will choose the 2 seat side for this flight i think.

Im spoiled I must admit so I will go with an open mind and moderate expectations for Intra Europe service.

Thanks,
M

Certainly a good choice. A340 on the overnight flight with an excellent seat and equal service. Good to excellent lounge in ZRH, depending which one you take. A321 with a middle seat left empty and a slightly increased pitch plus excellent food to BCN. F100 with much increased pitch (though no empty middle seat) and equal food from VCE to ZRH. A330 on a day time flight back across the pond, with excellent food and service - the seat is good as long as you don't expect to lie anything near flat.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:54 pm

Surprised no one's mentioned this, but I'd go with DL. I know you said you don't like them, but I've been very impressed with their product lately. Good service, nice employees, and they've recently re-covered their BizElite seats with leather. They have a nonstop on a 767 to BCN (from JFK) and they have a nonstop VCE-JFK. Then you're mostly in an international business class seat on a widebody. Seems to me the best you can do.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Surprised no one's mentioned this, but I'd go with DL. I know you said you don't like them, but I've been very impressed with their product lately. Good service, nice employees, and they've recently re-covered their BizElite seats with leather. They have a nonstop on a 767 to BCN (from JFK) and they have a nonstop VCE-JFK. Then you're mostly in an international business class seat on a widebody. Seems to me the best you can do.
The DL biz seats aren't too well liked by many flyers. I haven't been in one myself, but the common complaint is that they are VERY narrow for business class seats. I suspect this is why it hasn't come up in this thread since the OP was very interested in seat width.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dvs7310
The DL biz seats aren't too well liked by many flyers. I haven't been in one myself, but the common complaint is that they are VERY narrow for business class seats. I suspect this is why it hasn't come up in this thread since the OP was very interested in seat width.
The BE seat width on the DL 763s is 18.5". The BF seat width on the 752 (for the EWR-BCN flight) is 20". Personally it doesn't affect me, but there are some who it bothers.

Going over on CO and back on DL is always an option, but it woud likely change the pricing issue. With all the other options that are so good, I wouldn't go too far out of my way to fly that route. Also, the JFK-BOS routes are CRJs.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

great detail

Thanks,
Ive spoken to ta. I could fly CO roundtrip, but i would have to take the iberian economy class at the end of my trip from Venice to Barcelona to catch my flight back home. It is the only airline that gets me into BCN in enough time to collect bags and get to CO for the flight. There is no business on this flight.

The other option is to stay with Swiss Air(for many of the good things you have said about LX) and purchase middle seat on short leg.

The only other suggestion she had was to go CO through Gatwick and take an iberian business flight from vce to gatwick on the way home to catch CO from Gatwick to Boston. This would be a bit more in dollars but an option.

These are my options. My only concern is that if i go Iberian(id purchase an extra seat...coach is 164 dollars), is that the flights can be unreliable..and there is a greater restriction of luggage im assuming. Im checking two bags and will have my laptop and a carryon.

Is iberian just terrible?? From VCE to BCN i think its only two hours. Its only one small flight. And...id have the seat next to me vacant. Anyone familiar with the terminals id have to get to from where i come in.

Thanks,
M
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by aa4ever
I agree with regard to the refreshed BE product. The seats are very comfortable (albeit a bit narrow) and include AVOD, the food is good, the wines are much better than what CO offers (not sure about how they compare to those of LX), and the crews generally are good. The BE lounges in ATL and JFK are nice, as well.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Is iberian just terrible?? From VCE to BCN i think its only two hours. Its only one small flight. And...id have the seat next to me vacant. Anyone familiar with the terminals id have to get to from where i come in.
The issue isn't that Iberia is terrible, but the extra connection. I just really don't understand why you would add an extra stop, when you can get it done with a single-stop both ways. And ZRH is really about half of a stop compared to EWR.

Out of BOS, I would think one could do a single-stop itinerary on your choice of AF, NW/KL, LH, LX, IB, DL, AZ, and (with some creativity - throwing in connections on other carriers) BA or VS. Heck, though I know absolutely nothing about what the long-haul product will be like, it looks like you could even work something out with Air One. Sure, I haven't checked connections or anything, but I would be surprised if most of these were not more convenient than a double-connection with CO.

I just don't think CO makes as much sense for this itinerary. But, if you really want the CO miles, and AF, NW/KL, DL, and AZ (thrown in for completeness, not because I recommend it) don't work, then the extra connection is not the end of the world, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.