Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Leave EWR on CO at 5:30 am. Can you check in at 1 am?

Old Mar 3, 08, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)

My nieces are flying From EWR to Reno via Houston. The CO flight leaves at 5:30 am. Can they check in at 12 or 1 am and get access to the gate area?

Is there a nice area they can rest/sleep?
Old Mar 3, 08, 5:59 pm

I'm pretty sure terminal C (where I believe all EWR-IAH flights depart) is open 24/7. See also http://www.sleepinginairports.net/li...ey&city=Newark
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that the TSA is open for access into the terminal at that time. After the last TLV flight (10:50p) the next departure is at 11:55p on Saturdays (BON) or that 5:30am flight to IAH the rest of the week.

If they are inside there aren't many comfortable places to hang out. The chairs all have the arms built in to them so laying across them is not so great. But if they like sleeping on the floor they'll be in for a great night.

Sleeping In Airports has a pretty decent collection of reviews.
Old Mar 3, 08, 6:57 pm
Community Director

I'm going to move this to the CO forum, as it is a question specific to the airline.

SanDiego1K
Senior Mod
Old Mar 3, 08, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier, AS MVPG
According to TSA's website, it does not appear that any EWR security lanes are open until 4 a.m. or so. (using the TSA wait time checker... http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/search?a...t=Submit+Query )
Old Mar 3, 08, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Terminal C is open 24/7. I don’t know about TSA hours or locations but employees use the C1 entry. There is at least 1 place in the C1 Food court (near the PC around C80) that has a sign stating 24 hour operation so I’d think that there has to be some method of clearing people through, all of the CO and PA people who are working on the secure side of the terminal. CO611 usually departs from C71 which is the first gate as you enter the C1 wing.

You might call the PANYNJ information number during the day 973-961-6000. They should be able to give you access information.

If they’re checking baggage they may have another problem. I don’t know if CO will accept it more than 4 hrs before the flight and how late they’re open for check in. I’d suggest calling the Elite desk & find out about operating hours, etc.

They’ll probably go sleepless, not too many places to be comfortable. Tell them to bring a book & sleep on the plane.
Old Mar 5, 08, 8:22 am

Terminal C may be open 24/7 but as there are no departures between 11PM or so and 5AM or so, the check in counters are closed at night and so are most of the services.
Old Mar 5, 08, 11:10 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
I'm pretty sure the kiosks 'go to sleep' as well and do not 'wake up' until the time the check in agents appear, so it is not possible to print boarding pas. It is imperative to show up with a boarding pass if one intends to go thru security just before it closes.
Old Mar 5, 08, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I'm pretty sure the kiosks 'go to sleep' as well and do not 'wake up' until the time the check in agents appear, so it is not possible to print boarding pas. It is imperative to show up with a boarding pass if one intends to go thru security just before it closes.
Unless you use the OLCI feature and print it directly! There is a 24 hour restaurant as described higher up in this thread. They toss salads and have panninies and wraps available. I have experience because I used my $8 voucher at 1 am while waiting for my ABQ flight. It was delayed 8 hours; we left at 3:30 am and had the first true red-eye going westbound! What was also fun was that they lost one piece each of luggage from my travel companion and I. Also a very upset lady's from first was lost.
Old Mar 5, 08, 4:02 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
I have tried to check bags at around 12am LAX for the first flight out to IAH, and they would not accept them because the counter staff left for the evening after closing the redeye LAX-IAH, so the bags would be unattended. Liability purposes.

I'm not sure about EWR but I know I wouldn't want my bags left unattended down there for any extended period of time, unless I wanted to head out and buy all of my gear back on Springfield Ave!
Old Mar 5, 08, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I recently arrived at EWR around 1:00 am and had a flight out at 7:30 am. I wanted to print my BP for the 7:30 flight. I was told that the kiosks were shut down but I went to the ticket counter anyway and found them fully functional. No employees around and I did have to duck under a barrier to get to them.
Old Mar 5, 08, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I recently arrived at EWR around 1:00 am and had a flight out at 7:30 am. I wanted to print my BP for the 7:30 flight. I was told that the kiosks were shut down but I went to the ticket counter anyway and found them fully functional. No employees around and I did have to duck under a barrier to get to them.
Was TSA open to let you through?

Was there anyplace to sleep?

Would you feel comfortable if your two neices were arriving at that time?

PLease let us know.
Old Mar 5, 08, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
Was TSA open to let you through?

Was there anyplace to sleep?

Would you feel comfortable if your two neices were arriving at that time?

PLease let us know.
Sorry, I can't help you there. I had a room at the Marriott just across the parking lot.
Old Mar 5, 08, 5:15 pm

Thanks. I was hoping that gakke would get the rest of his answers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: