Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any disadvantage booking CO flights with Delta SkyMiles ?

Old Mar 2, 08, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Starwoods points to OnePass miles are a 2:1 conversion, whereas Starwoods points to SkyMiles are 1:1. Given that you can now book Continental award flights directly online at the SkyMiles website, a transfer of 80000 Starwoods points into Skymiles is enough for CO BusinessFirst to Europe. Does anyone know if the availability of CO award flights is the same at both program websites ?
Old Mar 2, 08, 1:51 pm

When did SPG stop converting to Continental on a 1:1 basis?
Old Mar 2, 08, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The SPG devaluation happened a few months ago.

The only reason to go direct with CO redemption versus DL redemption for CO flights is if you are elite as there is increased availability for elites that DL won't see. Otherwise, the DL redemption route is a much better value for SPG points.
Old Mar 2, 08, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The SPG devaluation happened a few months ago.

The only reason to go direct with CO redemption versus DL redemption for CO flights is if you are elite as there is increased availability for elites that DL won't see. Otherwise, the DL redemption route is a much better value for SPG points.
I don't know about you, sbm12, but as far as increased availability for CO elites, I never, ever found any additional availability as a CO elite.

In fact, on a number of occasions, on a lark, I compared award availability while I was signed in as an elite, and when I was not signed in (i.e. non-elite). On a couple of occasions, there was more award availability for non-elites than for elites...
Old Mar 2, 08, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
I don't know about you, sbm12, but as far as increased availability for CO elites, I never, ever found any additional availability as a CO elite.

In fact, on a number of occasions, on a lark, I compared award availability while I was signed in as an elite, and when I was not signed in (i.e. non-elite). On a couple of occasions, there was more award availability for non-elites than for elites...
I find it rather often as a Platinum. The EN and GN (more common) buckets disappear when I log out. I always have to remember that when trying to help folks on here find reward seats, as I have made that mistake once or twice and inspired false hopes of reward availability. Just now I found GN availability on CO 15 (EWR-HNL) for 14 JAN 09 as an elite (both my PLT account and my wife's Silver account). As a non-elite I can only book a connecting flight via IAH on that date; the non-stop is not there.

I do recall the issues with non-elites inventory being greater than elites many months ago, but I do not recall that having happened in quite some time now.
Old Mar 2, 08, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I do recall the issues with non-elites inventory being greater than elites many months ago, but I do not recall that having happened in quite some time now.
This was a CO.com problem that has since been fixed.
Old Mar 2, 08, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I find it rather often as a Platinum. The EN and GN (more common) buckets disappear when I log out. I always have to remember that when trying to help folks on here find reward seats, as I have made that mistake once or twice and inspired false hopes of reward availability. Just now I found GN availability on CO 15 (EWR-HNL) for 14 JAN 09 as an elite (both my PLT account and my wife's Silver account). As a non-elite I can only book a connecting flight via IAH on that date; the non-stop is not there.

That makes sense, since I have not been CO elite for quite some time.

Then again, if it happened before, it could certainly happen again, given the spotty nature of CO's IT systems.

Search this Thread