FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Decsions, decisions, EOS, Silverjet or CO to London? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/796227-decsions-decisions-eos-silverjet-co-london.html)

cruisr Feb 29, 2008 8:49 am

Decsions, decisions, EOS, Silverjet or CO to London?

My dilemma: Too much competition to London. Yes I know thats a good thing but I only earn (meaningful) miles on CO.

The dates I checked (June/July) were available on all 3. EOS goes to Stansted, Silverjet to Luton and CO to LHR. The airports are not deciding factors as they all have advantages/disadvantages.

EOS: $2349.
Silverjet: $2358.
CO: $3032.

Having flown both EOS and Silverjet I really loved them. Now I have to decide if I will spend more money, have a less quality experience (sorry CO but it is true) but get 10K CO miles (based on Silver Status)? I feel like a traitor but will probably go with EOS.

Then again, maybe the CO price will come down with their BF summer sale.

Cheers

club22 Feb 29, 2008 10:13 am

Eos because you get to checkin more bags and bring more carry ons. Plus they have amex points bonus currently.

pbarnette Feb 29, 2008 10:16 am

Well, the premium for CO amounts to 7 cents per mile. That is not a good deal in my opinion. Maybe if it meant the difference between elite or not, then I would give it a look, but it just doesn't seem like good value. From what I have read, I would go with EOS.

club22 Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am

Delhi and mumbai are only 3100 on co which is the cheapest. For 3200 on silverjet you can go to dubai and stopover in london both ways.

toby182 Feb 29, 2008 1:13 pm

i was looking at the same thing for july and aug trips to london. if a BF sale materializes the CO price may come down somewhat. i'm sorely tempted to jump on the EOS fares even though it probably means i wouldn't make platinum for 2009. but since i mainly fly ewr to lax/sfo transcons without any hope for upgrades, i'm really questioning the value of platinum.

sbm12 Feb 29, 2008 3:25 pm

I wouldn't pay that much extra for the miles on CO. I'd be even less likely knowing that the service isn't as good.

keisari Feb 29, 2008 6:12 pm

10K miles = US$ 100-140 (may be more if used for BF tickets).
Do you need/want the EQM to get to Gold or retain Silver?
if not, just based on money go with EOS.

BenjaminNYC Feb 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Best product = Eos.

Enough said.

rapopoda Mar 1, 2008 7:43 am

EOS. CO's product is tired and ratty. More people need to send them that message

ani90 Apr 27, 2008 7:20 am

Originally Posted by rapopoda (Post 9340346)
EOS. CO's product is tired and ratty. More people need to send them that message

Well at least CO has a service. Two down and one to go - we will see how long silverjet lasts. It puzzles me how travellers, both business and pleasure, would arrange their future travel on such shaky airlines - lets hope the OP finally came to senses and chose CO with summer BF sale. If he chose silverjet then he better hope they are still around in july.

I think the demise of EOS must be a good time for CO to re-examine the STN route. With the new LHR route and the banishing of 757s to LGW I can hardly find a reason to chose to fly to LGW as opposed to LHR but same cannot be said of STN as I suspect there may be many (of those who chose not to fly LHR) who would, for various reasons, chose STN over LGW. Maybe CO should move one of those 757s to STN and I suspect there will be more butts on the seats. I suspect the LGW route will eventually cease as difficult to see the attraction in going to LGW on a 757 when one could go to LHR. Also the timings of LHR seem more favorable than LGW.

colpuck Apr 27, 2008 8:30 am

Well at least the OP is down to one decision between two airlines. I guess less is really rmore. :D

unitedbusiness Apr 27, 2008 9:34 am

EOS- no more

well, looks like you can scratch EOS off your list of choices, as it will cease all operations effective early this week.
I think this is great news for the majors-- who will re-earn more of the premium travel market share back.

ijgordon Apr 27, 2008 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ani90 (Post 9639015)
Well at least CO has a service. Two down and one to go - we will see how long silverjet lasts.

Well, you could argue that the reduced competition should be a net positive for Silverjet. But on the other hand, as you mention, who in their right mind would book a trip on this carrier more than a week out (and even that can be risky, as both EOS and MaxJet shut down rather abruptly).

I needed a one-way ticket in J to London for this May (back about two months ago); was looking at doing one of these three. I ended up securing a SWU on AA from a friend, purchasing coach, and I can say I'm glad I'm not in the position of trying to scramble last-minute. (Or not last-minute enough for another carrier to accept my ticket).

entropy Apr 27, 2008 9:55 am

Best product = Eos.

Enough said.
EOS just filed today. they had a nice product, its rather sad.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1209...googlenews_wsj

Silverjet will probably follow.

rkkwan Apr 27, 2008 9:58 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 9639512)
I expect Maxjet to die soon.

Huh? They've been dead since Christmas!