10 Best Business Class Seats - The Times (UK)

Old Feb 21, 08, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
10 Best Business Class Seats - The Times (UK)

The Travel Section of the The Times (UK) has listed its 10 Best List for Business Class Seats: http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle3378515.ece

Thought I would list it as there’ve been threads on what sort of seats CO will come up with whenever they eventually announce them. There are short descriptions of each of the airlines’ seats and/or pods. The list, from top to bottom:

#1 - Air Canada
#2 - BA (the new Club World seats)
#3 - Eos
#4 - Etihad
#5 - Jet Airways
#6 - Singapore
#7 - Silverjet
#8 - South African
#9 - United (the new seats; they admitted being shocked at including any US airline in the list)
#10 - Virgin Atlantic

Anyone here have an opinion, I wonder?

Added later - Forgot to mention that there are 6 slides showing the seats of 6 of the listed airlines.

Last edited by From NYC; Feb 21, 08 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 21, 08, 12:42 pm

Programs: CO MP
I'm shocked that Air Canada is #1, although admittedly I have not flown Air Canada for quite some time.
Old Feb 21, 08, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'm guessing that they are talking about the new AC seats that are just being introduced, since the old ones look a bit weak.

Mike
Old Feb 21, 08, 12:47 pm
Community Director

I just flew South African biz last night for the first time. I was very impressed with the seat design. The seat goes fully flat, with your head going down into a hood area which gives a lot of privacy from the neighbor. There is excellent personal storage, including a little locker for your shoes. The seat was comfortable for reading as well as for sleeping. My only negative was that the cushion was extremely firm.

I have flown the NZ biz seat, which is comparable to Virgin Atlantic. I found the South African biz seat considerably more spacious.
Old Feb 21, 08, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by DH77024 View Post
I'm shocked that Air Canada is #1, although admittedly I have not flown Air Canada for quite some time.
As was I when I came across the article. Here’s their description of the AC seat:
“ExecutiveFirst, a sort of hybrid business and first class, is available on its 777s and some of its 767-300s. At the heart of the service is a fully flat bed that extends to 6 foot 3 inches when extended. The width is good too -21 inches when in seating position and 31 inches at the shoulder when reclined. Great privacy thanks to well designed screens and herringbone seat layout”
Old Feb 21, 08, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by DH77024 View Post
The order is alphabetical, so they aren't saying AC is #1. Merely it is one of the top ten. Hoping to catch one of the new planes in a couple of months for a trip to LHR.
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Originally Posted by From NYC View Post
As was I when I came across the article. Here’s their description of the AC seat:
“ExecutiveFirst, a sort of hybrid business and first class, is available on its 777s and some of its 767-300s. At the heart of the service is a fully flat bed that extends to 6 foot 3 inches when extended. The width is good too -21 inches when in seating position and 31 inches at the shoulder when reclined. Great privacy thanks to well designed screens and herringbone seat layout”
Aren't AC's new Biz Class seats the same ones DL is putting in their newest 777's (and later in the 767's I hear)?
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
EOS calls itself a discount FC airline. They shouldn't be included in the first place.

Most of the other ones have flat beds in business. I think AirNZ and in particular CX should be very worried that their brand new flat-beds didn't make it.

---

DL's installing the herringbone on their 772s, but 763s will get the new Thompson Solution beds that are different from anything in the market now.
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Pro & UA Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
EOS calls itself a discount FC airline. They shouldn't be included in the first place.
But their fares are def business class.
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Perhaps that is why CO didn't make the list? Because they are BusinessFirst?

Wish I had the opportunity to try more of these seats, but have only been on the new BA seat, which is definitely top-notch.
Old Feb 21, 08, 5:05 pm

The article lists Silverjet's arrangement as 1-2-1 on it's 767-200's, but it's clearly 2-2-2. Big difference!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Silve...jet/1293442/L/
Old Feb 21, 08, 6:46 pm

Ooops. With respect to Eos, it says:

"Business travellers across the Atlantic have fallen for the 6 foot 6 inch flatbeds, soft linen and huge dining tables something rotten." (emph added)

Perhaps it was that guy in the RJ from the recent flatulence thread?
Old Feb 21, 08, 6:50 pm
ufo

I think that the balance of the Virgin seats and the associated cabin layout is incredible.
Old Feb 21, 08, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I think AirNZ and in particular CX should be very worried that their brand new flat-beds didn't make it.
Especially CX. Relatives of mine flew to HKG and was not impressed with the seats. They actually voiced a preference for CO's J seats .
Old Feb 22, 08, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typical nonsense from the Murdoch idiots.
Silverjet and EOS, eh?
Between them, these airlines don't have half a dozen routes. Smooth and convenient. Might as well have said "Rupert Murdoch's private jet has even better seats".

Search this Thread