Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

when will the NW/DL/CO relationships start to unravel???

Old Feb 19, 08, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Should the mergers go through and NW becomes the new DL and CO becomes the new UA, when would the DL/NW/CO realtionship begin to end?

I am about to renew my PC membership. i use it in DL CRC's quite often. i assume that relationship will end at some point. will that part of the relationship be dismantled along the same time frame as codeshares, FF recip programs and comp upgardes on NW?

am i ok for at least the next 12 months?

If not, i assume some deal with the new UA-CO would exist with US. im in phx so id end up switching my CO/DL loyalty to UA-CO/US loyalty.

i feel like CO's phx FF'ers may have the most to gain from the new mergers.
Old Feb 19, 08, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by dlen111 View Post
i have thought about that for my own selfish needs, lol. UA/CO are already in the same terminal...and i guess a red carpet club is better than nothing.
Old Feb 19, 08, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
tomorrow?
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Yep, we shall see what NW/DL announce at their meeting tomorrow.
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Tomorrow

Originally Posted by OPFlyer View Post
Yep, we shall see what NW/DL announce at their meeting tomorrow.
I concur; I think you'll see things unravel rather quickly this week
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have travel planned on NW for early May. Hopefully I'll still be able to credit my miles to CO at that time. I'm a bit doubtful though...
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by sdm1130 View Post
I have travel planned on NW for early May. Hopefully I'll still be able to credit my miles to CO at that time. I'm a bit doubtful though...

Even if it is approved by DL/NW tomorrow, it will still be months away from any practical changes impacting passengers. It still needs gov'mt approval, plus flight operations between NW/DL and Co/UA plus alliances need to be worked out. I'd estimate 6-12 months before there are any true changes.

This was about the same amount of time needed before a semi-integration between Air Canada and Canadian Airlines in 2000 (including things like code-shares, and setting dates for existing of global alliance programs). A complete merger took about 18 months (blending frequent flyer programs and points, fully integrating flight operations and code-shares, fully integrating unions etc.)
Old Feb 19, 08, 11:01 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
I just read an AP report that the deal is falling apart because, get this, the pilots can not agree on a seniority agreement amongst themselves. I'm sure if they gave the older fellahs a sweet share of the deal, they'd be happy to tip their hats in the rotation to others . . .
Old Feb 19, 08, 11:45 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.11.19
I am Gold Elite with CO that will expire at the end of February and have a lifetime PC membership. I am 27 years old and plan to continue flying very heavily over the coming decades. I'm debating buying a lifetime World Clubs membership in the hopes it becomes a lifetime Crown Room membership. Any advice in terms of a) whether I can get the NW Gold pricing and b) whether DL will treat WC members like AA treated Admbassador Club members when they bought TWA?
Old Feb 20, 08, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
I am Gold Elite with CO that will expire at the end of February and have a lifetime PC membership. I am 27 years old and plan to continue flying very heavily over the coming decades. I'm debating buying a lifetime World Clubs membership in the hopes it becomes a lifetime Crown Room membership. Any advice in terms of a) whether I can get the NW Gold pricing and b) whether DL will treat WC members like AA treated Admbassador Club members when they bought TWA?
if you buy a NW WC membership you will be treated as a non elite. they will not recognize your CO gold.

as long as the CRC has a lifetime program, you'll be fine. if they dont, im sure they would implement some type of program to ensure lifetime WC members were accomodated.

Delta may be the name of the new carrier, but they may very well pick and choose which products to keep. WC's, may become the new carrier's branded club. who knows. if CO becomes united, i would hate to see the presidents club brand disappear.
Old Feb 20, 08, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

as long as the CRC has a lifetime program, you'll be fine. if they dont, im sure they would implement some type of program to ensure lifetime WC members were accomodated.
Tell that to all the TWA lifetime club members who got 3 years from AA.

I wouldn't buy anything lifetime right now from any of the carriers - too risky.
Old Feb 20, 08, 8:00 am
Suspended

i was hoping there was going to be another thread on industry M&A. i mean, this topic certainly couldn't have been covered in one of the (ten?) existing threads, right?

(M&A = mergers and acquistions)
Old Feb 20, 08, 8:01 am

Programs: CO Gold

United doesnt fly to SJO, if the merge were to happen it would allow me to fly in one airline (well I can do it in AA too but I want my miles in CO) from here to SYD
Old Feb 20, 08, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Tell that to all the TWA lifetime club members who got 3 years from AA.

I wouldn't buy anything lifetime right now from any of the carriers - too risky.
I know this is a bit dated, but a CR rep told me that Delta bought all the Pan Am's FF loyalty program and with it the Pam Am lifetime lounge members got lifetime Crown Room access - even though Delta has never offered lifetime access.

But then again I was told this ~8 years ago, Delta may have changed their minds since then (bankruptcy and what not).
Old Feb 20, 08, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post
i was hoping there was going to be another thread on industry M&A. i mean, this topic certainly couldn't have been covered in one of the (ten?) existing threads, right?

(M&A = mergers and acquistions)
your, "this is such a waste of my time" posts are getting a bit winded.

my intent was not to start yet another 25 page rumor speculation thread.

as stated, i am considering making a purchase, of which, the benefits will last a year.

I was asking for advice, either through experience or opinion, on when our reciprocal bennies with NW and DL may start to disappear should a merger be annouced.

with that said, I appreciate your contribution. it should really help in my decision.

Search this Thread