New Espresso Machine IAH Terminal E PC

 
Old Feb 18, 08, 4:04 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Posts: 16,679
New Espresso Machine IAH Terminal E PC

This afternoon I popped in the IAH E PC for a few minutes to send some e-mails. Just after I sat down at one of the tables in the bar area, I heard what sounded like a coffee grinder — followed by the unmistakable scent of fresh coffee brewing. Curious, I walked toward the noise, and lo and behold, there was a brand spanking new espresso maker on a table just outside the bar area! Unlike the Flavia machine that was in the club for a few weeks last fall, this is more like the real deal. It grinds the beans and makes the drink, as opposed to using a pre-packaged "mix" like the Flavia machines. It's located just off the bar's seating area, on a table between the bar area and TV room, opposite the computer work areas on the main club level. I didn't get to try it out — might do that tomorrow when I'm back in the club. But to CO for this new addition!
ssullivan is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 4:08 pm
  #2  
Moderator: United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Posts: 8,717
Stuff cheese, apples, Baked Lays, and cardboard stock BP's into the bean grinder and see if it makes a delightful medley of nacho sauce.


...the last time I tried to do this with the toaster it did not turn out to well. The cheese melted off the Lays, the apples jammed the feeder belt, and then boarding passes caught fire. It was horrible...not only could I not have a tasty cheese concoction but the BPs for my flight went up in smoke. And to make matters worse the agents could not fire off new BPs as the ticket printer was still broke from the time I tried to fuse a cheese packet with a Saralee sugar-bomb donut by shoving them into the BP printer behind the desk.

Oh well, when the irate agent came over (and after he had the fire extinguished) he asked what the f#@$ was going on - to which I just smiled and said, "weather."


Last edited by J.Edward; Feb 18, 08 at 4:20 pm
J.Edward is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 4:09 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Posts: 11,475
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
This afternoon I popped in the IAH E PC for a few minutes to send some e-mails.
Why go in when you can sit on the floor outside?

Originally Posted by ssullivan
Just after I sat down at one of the tables in the bar area, I heard what sounded like a coffee grinder followed by the unmistakable scent of fresh coffee brewing. Curious, I walked toward the noise, and lo and behold, there was a brand spanking new espresso maker on a table just outside the bar area! Unlike the Flavia machine that was in the club for a few weeks last fall, this is more like the real deal. It grinds the beans and makes the drink, as opposed to using a pre-packaged "mix" like the Flavia machines. It's located just off the bar's seating area, on a table between the bar area and TV room, opposite the computer work areas on the main club level. I didn't get to try it out might do that tomorrow when I'm back in the club. But to CO for this new addition!
Now this I like! Did it look like there were any ways to steam milk?
Hartmann is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 4:25 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Posts: 16,679
Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
Why go in when you can sit on the floor outside?
Because I've got more class than to do that! You also can't take advantage of a complimentary cocktail while sitting outside on the floor bumming a few wi-fi waves off the PC.

Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
Now this I like! Did it look like there were any ways to steam milk?
I think it does it for you, maybe? I'm not totally sure. Apparently there were different buttons that could be pushed to make the machine make different types of drinks, like cappuccinos, lattes, and mochas. It looked pretty automated. But unlike a Flavia machine, there were no little packets to put inside, and there's a hopper of whole bean coffee on top, like on the machines Starbucks uses.
ssullivan is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 6:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: seattle
Posts: 352
we were just there saturday. didn't see it. is the machine like the northwest or alaska clubs? i agree, a nice addition.
saintd is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 7:05 pm
  #6  
R&R
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Posts: 951
Thumbs down

..unlike the Flavia machine, there were no little packets to stuff into your pocket thinking you were getting some extras at no extra cost!
I will bet the Lounge Budget went up with that machine.

Can still remember the east coast family, that stuffed their carry ons with about a years supply of the Biscotti.
R&R is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 10:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by saintd View Post
we were just there saturday. didn't see it. is the machine like the northwest or alaska clubs? i agree, a nice addition.
I saw it last Tuesday (Feb 12th).... If you walk to the bar on the second level and turn around it will be sitting toward the middle of the wall cabinets.

I didnt try it but it did smell good

Ten bucks says its a trial thing and they will start charging for premium java like they do the wine
apatrol is offline  
Old Feb 18, 08, 10:57 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IAH
Posts: 13,531
Nice addition. When does EWR get their new espresso machine?
sdm1130 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:24 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Posts: 18,733
Originally Posted by saintd View Post
we were just there saturday. didn't see it. is the machine like the northwest or alaska clubs? i agree, a nice addition.
The machines in the AS Boardrooms are better than the ones in the NW WorldClubs (and offer decaff espresso ).
CO 1E is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:53 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: new york, ny, usa
Posts: 13,537
Originally Posted by sdm1130 View Post
When does EWR get their new espresso machine?
scott?
fly co to see the yanks is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 10:55 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: new york, ny, usa
Posts: 13,537
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
Stuff cheese

Oh well, when the irate agent came over (and after he had the fire extinguished) he asked what the f#@$ was going on - to which I just smiled and said, "weather."
1) shouldn't references to "stuff cheese" be in the flatulence thread?

2) very funny.
fly co to see the yanks is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:14 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
Originally Posted by CO 1E View Post
The machines in the AS Boardrooms are better than the ones in the NW WorldClubs (and offer decaff espresso ).
To the decaff espresso! Added to that the AS Boardroom have a much better tea selection.

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:19 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,349
Decaf espresso at EWR would be fantastic!
Xyzzy is online now  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:20 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 31,396
As this thread has a hint of nuttiness, I recommend that it be paired with foie gras, and a smooth Pinot Noir.
Anglo Large Clawed Otter is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:25 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Posts: 16,679
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter View Post
As this thread has a hint of nuttiness, I recommend that it be paired with foie gras, and a smooth Pinot Noir.
J.Edward would have you top that foie gras with a little cheese.
ssullivan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread