FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   New Espresso Machine — IAH Terminal E PC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/791950-new-espresso-machine-iah-terminal-e-pc.html)

ssullivan Feb 18, 2008 3:04 pm

New Espresso Machine — IAH Terminal E PC

This afternoon I popped in the IAH E PC for a few minutes to send some e-mails. Just after I sat down at one of the tables in the bar area, I heard what sounded like a coffee grinder — followed by the unmistakable scent of fresh coffee brewing. Curious, I walked toward the noise, and lo and behold, there was a brand spanking new espresso maker on a table just outside the bar area! Unlike the Flavia machine that was in the club for a few weeks last fall, this is more like the real deal. It grinds the beans and makes the drink, as opposed to using a pre-packaged "mix" like the Flavia machines. It's located just off the bar's seating area, on a table between the bar area and TV room, opposite the computer work areas on the main club level. I didn't get to try it out — might do that tomorrow when I'm back in the club. But ^^ to CO for this new addition!

J.Edward Feb 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Stuff cheese, apples, Baked Lays, and cardboard stock BP's into the bean grinder and see if it makes a delightful medley of nacho sauce.

...the last time I tried to do this with the toaster it did not turn out to well. The cheese melted off the Lays, the apples jammed the feeder belt, and then boarding passes caught fire. It was horrible...not only could I not have a tasty cheese concoction but the BPs for my flight went up in smoke. And to make matters worse the agents could not fire off new BPs as the ticket printer was still broke from the time I tried to fuse a cheese packet with a Saralee sugar-bomb donut by shoving them into the BP printer behind the desk.

Oh well, when the irate agent came over (and after he had the fire extinguished) he asked what the f#@$ was going on - to which I just smiled and said, "weather."

:D

Hartmann Feb 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ssullivan (Post 9272272)
This afternoon I popped in the IAH E PC for a few minutes to send some e-mails.

Why go in when you can sit on the floor outside? :p :cool:

Originally Posted by ssullivan
Just after I sat down at one of the tables in the bar area, I heard what sounded like a coffee grinder — followed by the unmistakable scent of fresh coffee brewing. Curious, I walked toward the noise, and lo and behold, there was a brand spanking new espresso maker on a table just outside the bar area! Unlike the Flavia machine that was in the club for a few weeks last fall, this is more like the real deal. It grinds the beans and makes the drink, as opposed to using a pre-packaged "mix" like the Flavia machines. It's located just off the bar's seating area, on a table between the bar area and TV room, opposite the computer work areas on the main club level. I didn't get to try it out — might do that tomorrow when I'm back in the club. But ^^ to CO for this new addition!

Now this I like! Did it look like there were any ways to steam milk?

ssullivan Feb 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 9272310)
Why go in when you can sit on the floor outside? :p :cool:

Because I've got more class than to do that! You also can't take advantage of a complimentary cocktail while sitting outside on the floor bumming a few wi-fi waves off the PC.

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 9272310)
Now this I like! Did it look like there were any ways to steam milk?

I think it does it for you, maybe? I'm not totally sure. Apparently there were different buttons that could be pushed to make the machine make different types of drinks, like cappuccinos, lattes, and mochas. It looked pretty automated. But unlike a Flavia machine, there were no little packets to put inside, and there's a hopper of whole bean coffee on top, like on the machines Starbucks uses.

saintd Feb 18, 2008 5:39 pm

we were just there saturday. didn't see it. is the machine like the northwest or alaska clubs? i agree, a nice addition.

R&R Feb 18, 2008 6:05 pm

..unlike the Flavia machine, there were no little packets to stuff into your pocket thinking you were getting some extras at no extra cost!:(
I will bet the Lounge Budget went up with that machine.:(

Can still remember the east coast family, that stuffed their carry ons with about a years supply of the Biscotti.

apatrol Feb 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by saintd (Post 9272982)
we were just there saturday. didn't see it. is the machine like the northwest or alaska clubs? i agree, a nice addition.

I saw it last Tuesday (Feb 12th).... If you walk to the bar on the second level and turn around it will be sitting toward the middle of the wall cabinets.

I didnt try it but it did smell good :)

Ten bucks says its a trial thing and they will start charging for premium java like they do the wine :)

sdm1130 Feb 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Nice addition. ^ When does EWR get their new espresso machine?

CO 1E Feb 19, 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by saintd (Post 9272982)

The machines in the AS Boardrooms are better than the ones in the NW WorldClubs (and offer decaff espresso ^).

fly co to see the yanks Feb 19, 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by sdm1130 (Post 9274151)
When does EWR get their new espresso machine?

scott? :)

fly co to see the yanks Feb 19, 2008 9:55 am

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 9272300)
Stuff cheese

Oh well, when the irate agent came over (and after he had the fire extinguished) he asked what the f#@$ was going on - to which I just smiled and said, "weather."

1) shouldn't references to "stuff cheese" be in the flatulence thread?

2) very funny.

dan1431 Feb 19, 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by CO 1E (Post 9276337)
The machines in the AS Boardrooms are better than the ones in the NW WorldClubs (and offer decaff espresso ^).

^^To the decaff espresso! Added to that the AS Boardroom have a much better tea selection.

Dan

Xyzzy Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Decaf espresso at EWR would be fantastic!

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Feb 19, 2008 12:20 pm

As this thread has a hint of nuttiness, I recommend that it be paired with foie gras, and a smooth Pinot Noir.

ssullivan Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter (Post 9277514)
As this thread has a hint of nuttiness, I recommend that it be paired with foie gras, and a smooth Pinot Noir.

J.Edward would have you top that foie gras with a little cheese.