FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   US Immigration at PVR? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/790333-us-immigration-pvr.html)

COFlyerCLE Feb 13, 2008 4:48 pm

US Immigration at PVR?

I'm looking at flights from CLE-IAH-PVR.

Does anyone know if you go through US Immigration at PVR upon departure or is it upon arrival at IAH? My projected connection time at IAH is only 1:39, so that likely won't be long enough if you have to do the Immigration/Customs thing at IAH as well.

Thanks for the info...

John

sdm1130 Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm

I have a 1:29 connection at the end of the month in IAH coming from PVR. I never read anything about pre-clearing in PVR but I will let you know the procedure in a few weeks if no one else is able to respond.

sbm12 Feb 13, 2008 6:18 pm

It does not appear that there is pre-clearance at any Mexican airports.

This question would probably get better answers in the Mexico forum, as that's really what you're asking about, not CO.

LabRat Feb 13, 2008 6:19 pm

I flew out of PVR in October and had to clear customs upon arrival at IAH. I arrived around 3:00 p.m., and it took about 20-30 minutes to clear.

stephfj Feb 13, 2008 8:43 pm

I have been flying to PVR once a year for the past 10 years and whether it was thru EWR or IAH, immigration has always cleared in the U.S.

ccordova624 Feb 13, 2008 9:28 pm

I just confirmed it. There is not a single pre-immigration clearance in any Mexican airport whatsoever, it has never been, nor it will be in any near future.

COFlyerCLE Feb 14, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for all the info! I will look forward to hearing from smd1130 in a few weeks about the connection time at IAH - which is really the (potential) issue.

John

kwsunset Feb 16, 2008 7:41 am

This is a first post for me, but it is at least something I know about. I have made this connection with less than 45 minutes. If you are elite your luggage will come out first and you will have no trouble making a connection. The flights from PV are very quick turnarounds and are usually on time, except in the summer when storms in Houston may cause delay.
In ten years I have yet to miss a connection from PVR-IAH.

I am currently a gold elite but an a very inexperienced user of my 1000's of miles to best advantage. I read much of this board and have learned a lot. Thanks for all your great information.

Michael

Brendan Feb 16, 2008 6:50 pm

I have been to PVR 3 times, 2 on AA & 1 on CO. No pre-clearance. Long walks to the Customs/Imm. counters in Texas, but 1:39 should be plenty--unless UR sent to Secondary & run into problems there :eek: !

cptlflyer Feb 16, 2008 8:51 pm

As ccordova624 stated, there are no U.S. CBP Pre-Clearance facilities in Mexico.

Just for reference, there are only 8 airports with full CBP Pre-Clearance facilities -- all in Canada. Halifax was the most recent airport to open a pre-clearance facility (in late 2006).

There are informal pre-clearance facilities in the Bahamas, too. Also, Ireland has Immigration-only pre-clearance at both DUB and SNN... but not customs, so flights from Ireland still must deplane into an FIS on arrival in the USA.

However, I understand that complete U.S. CBP Pre-Clearance facilities are now being considered for DUB and SNN, as both airports are working on new terminals.

Also, I know that CUN pre-clearance has been floated many times by the U.S. aviation industry and is still very much on the radar.