Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UH Service To EWR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

UH Service To EWR

Last we I managed to wrap in a leg on a US Helicopter codeshare from TSS to EWR. Some thoughts and FYIs:

1) The cabbies seem a bit unsure of the heliport's location. It is smack dab at the end of East 32nd, though the signage is lacking both for the heliport and US Helicopter.

2) The UH facilities are in a converted office trailer under an overpass. It is small, but efficient and well appointed with comfy chairs and TVs after you clear security.

3) The UH staff were very friendly and helpful, even going overboard to help a late passenger get through the process and board his flight to JFK.

4) Check-in and baggage claim were seamless, though all bags must fit through the xray machine.

5) All bags, checked or otherwise, get gate checked due to lack of space in the cabin.

6) 6 seats on board, though it would be very cramped if full. Plus, the seatbelts are made for small people.....

7) We flew down the East River, over the Statue of Liberty, and entered the EWR area parallel to RWY 29 but high over the active runway. We started to drop after we crossed midway down the active runway ( I forgot the #).

8) 7 minute flight!

9) Landed at a remote stand on the west side of Terminal C and were met by a small bus and a ramp rat with smart cart for the luggage.

10) Entered Terminal C at around Gate 70.

11) The UH segment ticketed in Y class but no extra EQMs for the segment.

Overall, I think it is a great option when you think how much is costs to take a cab or car service from Manhattan to EWR. That, plus the huge time savings, make it a great value in my opinion regardless of international or domestic destination. In addition, CO.com made it easy to add the service to my flights to/from CLE.

Some thoughts:

1) Improve the signage and area around the heliport to be more helpful and presentable.

2) Open up a heliport on the Hudson near Midtown.

3) Reconfigure the space to put the restroom inside security.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
You said that all bags get gate checked. Do you receive them when you get into the terminal?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

The returned my laptop bag to me on the bus.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:57 pm
Suspended

great info. thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some additional thoughts/parallel comments for JRB (downtown heliport) flights...

Originally Posted by MBM3
1) The cabbies seem a bit unsure of the heliport's location. It is smack dab at the end of East 32nd, though the signage is lacking both for the heliport and US Helicopter.
No UH signage at JRB, but there are a couple signs announcing the downtown heliport. I have no idea if the cabbies would know where it is any better than TSS, but I had no trouble finding it from the office building across the street.

2) The UH facilities are in a converted office trailer under an overpass. It is small, but efficient and well appointed with comfy chairs and TVs after you clear security.
JRB is a real building but similarly small. There are some chairs and a TV post-security, as well as some papers from that day.
3) The UH staff were very friendly and helpful, even going overboard to help a late passenger get through the process and board his flight to JFK.
Same at JRB.
4) Check-in and baggage claim were seamless, though all bags must fit through the xray machine.
I didn't have a large bag to check, but I'm not surprised that they can't handle really big checked bags as there aren't other facilities to screen the checked bags.
5) All bags, checked or otherwise, get gate checked due to lack of space in the cabin.
I was able to hold my briefcase in the cabin, but that may not be 100% consistent.
6) 6 seats on board, though it would be very cramped if full. Plus, the seatbelts are made for small people.....
7) We flew down the East River, over the Statue of Liberty, and entered the EWR area parallel to RWY 29 but high over the active runway. We started to drop after we crossed midway down the active runway ( I forgot the #).
8) 7 minute flight!
9) Landed at a remote stand on the west side of Terminal C and were met by a small bus and a ramp rat with smart cart for the luggage.
10) Entered Terminal C at around Gate 70.
All the same.

11) The UH segment ticketed in Y class but no extra EQMs for the segment.
This is the one small complaint I have about the partnership. Unless you book it as a CO code you don't get any miles. And I wouldn't know that I was going to take the helicopter until well after I booked the CO ticket, so adding it on wasn't an option at a reasonable price.

[/QUOTE]

3) Reconfigure the space to put the restroom inside security.[/QUOTE]

There are some rumors that #2 is on the way, pending the appropriate arrangement with the TSA, and #3 is a problem at JRB as well, though I arrived 5 minutes prior to my flight so there wasn't really a lot of waiting around time. I just used the bathroom while they were processing my ticket and then got straight on the helicopter after clearing security.

I agree that it is very convenient, but it doesn't always save a ton of time relative to a black car to EWR. The main savings is in clearing security on Manhattan rather than at EWR. Plus it is cool.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:58 pm

I flew USH once JRB-JFK. (That was to the AA terminal before they switched their alliance to DL, and before EWR service was established.) I work right across the street, so it is super-convenient, and I will definitely use it again when I have the need. It is really does not cost that much more than towncar service, and especially if you are flying anywhere near rush hour, the time and stress savings are HUGE.

To correct one error in the prior accounts, the aircraft has 8 seats, not 6.

The biggest problem, as I am concerned, to be aware of is that the restrictions for checked bags are much tighter than for the airline due to size/weight limitations of the helicopter. I was going to take them on my beginning of a two-week vacation last fall, but there was no way my large long-trip suitcase would pass the test.

Security is a breeze compared to EWR or JFK. I can't imagine you would ever have to wait behind more than two people. And the TSA people were even friendly and helpful!

And lastly, the views are just astonishing. What a great way to travel!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:06 pm

MBM, how many pax were on your flight?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 6:00 am

FYI a colleague of mine was booked on a flight Wall St -- EWR yesterday and most USH flights were cancelled due to the weather.

I think it had been posted before that they offer you a car service if that happens. Not the case here -- they called ahead of time (2:30ish for a 4:00 departure) and said they could call a cab and would offer a refund.

The old $99 'limited time' promo now looks like a permanent fare with some advance purchase / capacity restrictions -- and $105 is the mid-level. $165 seems reserved for last minute / heavily booked flights.

Not sure if that prices out on Continental.com, but is on the flyush.com website. I liked the service when I took it but not all that comfortable with helicopters though $100 is a steal compared to what can be $70+ car service / taxi.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Feb 14, 2008 at 6:05 am
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
MBM, how many pax were on your flight?
4 of us & the UH staff indicated that the service was doing pretty well from both locations to EWR.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulo
To correct one error in the prior accounts, the aircraft has 8 seats, not 6.

And lastly, the views are just astonishing. What a great way to travel!
Perhaps my excitement got the best of me, but I thought it was 6 seats in a 1-2-3 configuration. Either way, not spacious but I dont know how often they are booked full.

The view was spectacular!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
Now only if they would leave from the Westside then it would be perfect
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by COFan
Now only if they would leave from the Westside then it would be perfect
Originally Posted by sbm12
There are some rumors that #2 is on the way, pending the appropriate arrangement with the TSA
It is coming.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:42 am

I remeber the rumors at the ewr 'do'. but have you heard anything else? cause your getting my hopes up
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by COFan
I remeber the rumors at the ewr 'do'. but have you heard anything else? cause your getting my hopes up
Same rumors you heard. I believe them
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Same rumors you heard. I believe them
to quote the wise Yoda:

"That is why you fail"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.