Why Don't I Get My ETC's?

Old Feb 11, 08, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Why Don't I Get My ETC's?

Either someone at CO or USPS doesn't like me...

I am never able to get my ETC's sent to me!

The most recent occurrence was when I qualified for a $100 ETC for a CO.com best-fare guarantee back in the beginning on December.

Since then I have made 4 phone calls to CO (including CO.com support and 800-we-really-dont-care) Each time I am promised that it will be sent out in the mail and I should receive it within a week.

On the last phone call about 2 weeks ago the supervisor personally assured me that she would put it in the mail to be sent to me!

I have yet to receive it.

To make matters it appears to be CO policy not to email or tell me the code over the phone.

This is not the first time this has happened to me...Am I the only one plagued by the vanishing ETC?
Old Feb 12, 08, 5:29 am
Suspended

1) i've gotten ETC codes over the phone. i wonder if this is a new policy?

2) i would write scott at this point.
Old Feb 12, 08, 8:06 am

Call CO.COM Support

Call the Electronic Support Desk. They can set up an email for you. Usually about a 24 hr turn around. I hope this helps.
Old Feb 12, 08, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This has been a broken workflow in the CO system for a couple of years.

CO never physically sends the certificate for the low-fare guarantee (LFG). Having done a few LFGs, I have never received the cert in the mail. I've always had to get the PIN code over the phone -- either from the agent or the electronic support desk.
Old Feb 12, 08, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
CO always email them to me... never had a problem... But my sister who is not a onepass FF but a NW FF received her ETC in the mail.

I know you may already done so, but did you make sure they have your right address?? email address??? maybe the CO email is going to the junk email... it has happened to me before....
Now you can try to call them again and ask them to give it to you by phone. They have done that to me a few times.
Old Feb 12, 08, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ccordova624 View Post
CO always email them to me... never had a problem... But my sister who is not a onepass FF but a NW FF received her ETC in the mail.
Could you please confirm you were emailed a $100 ETC automatically after doing an LFG? Or was this a refund issue?

In my experience, for refunds they send it as expected. But for LFGs they never send it.
Old Feb 12, 08, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They aren't sent via email, they're sent via snailmail. I've never gotten a single one.
It would be great if they could just add it to our travelbank account.... :/ (or as a second, just associate it with our Onepass numbers (they are in the database IIRC) so we can have them online to use.
Old Feb 12, 08, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Could you please confirm you were emailed a $100 ETC automatically after doing an LFG? Or was this a refund issue?

In my experience, for refunds they send it as expected. But for LFGs they never send it.
Yes. It was a LFG from Customer Care Service. It was an automatic email that included the code, the amount and a pin, in addition there was a note that said that 2500 miles have been deposited to my account for the middle seat guarantee. It was after 24hrs I talked to a representative about a few issues that happened to me... the representative told me I will receive an email with all the info and I did.
Old Feb 12, 08, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ccordova624 View Post
Yes. It was a LFG from Customer Care Service. It was an automatic email that included the code, the amount and a pin, in addition there was a note that said that 2500 miles have been deposited to my account for the middle seat guarantee. It was after 24hrs I talked to a representative about a few issues that happened to me... the representative told me I will receive an email with all the info and I did.
Ok, so it was not automatic after they issued the $100. You had to talk to Customer Care to get your cert number sent to you.

The broken workflow at CO is that when they issue the $100 LFG Cert for the LFG, they do not send it. You have to follow up to get it or hope the agent gives it to you on the phone.
Old Feb 12, 08, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by channa View Post
This has been a broken workflow in the CO system for a couple of years.

CO never physically sends the certificate for the low-fare guarantee (LFG). Having done a few LFGs, I have never received the cert in the mail. I've always had to get the PIN code over the phone -- either from the agent or the electronic support desk.
Incredible that they can't get this fixed...

Every rep I have spoken to so far has told me that it is against CO policy to give out the ETC pin over the phone!

I guess I'll just have to keep trying until I find one that will tell it to me...
Old Feb 12, 08, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Incredible that they can't get this fixed...

Every rep I have spoken to so far has told me that it is against CO policy to give out the ETC pin over the phone!

I guess I'll just have to keep trying until I find one that will tell it to me...

In all fairness, I'm not sure it's been reported as a workflow problem. But given CO's history of handling fixes through the normal channels, that's also the reason it's never been reported. We need Scott working on more important items.

With that said, I wonder if it's somewhat deliberate. In my experience, they tend to give customers a lot of trouble when they LFG -- making up rules and such. I've even been told crazy things like, "Then buy it Expedia, why are you calling?" Or flat out denials by ignorant agents making up things like saying a published fare is a web special, just to deny the claim (just to get approved after I hit redial). Having to deal with further ignorance like "Your refund must go back to an ETC" just makes it a rather unpleasant experience.

Then when you figure it takes 45 minutes to 1 hour to do it, it makes me wonder if they're trying to discourage people from doing it by deliberatly making it more difficult (e.g., you know the whole legal stalemate thing where they try to wear you down by making you invest more time).
Old Feb 12, 08, 3:33 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
A good LFG trick is to call in when the system has been slammed (i.e. massive weather issues); I've never had an agent more willing (and eager) to get me off the phone. Had the entire thing done in ~8mins with ETC over the phone.
Old Feb 12, 08, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Last year I purchased a full fare first class ticket and a few days before the flight co called me and informed me that first was overbooked and offered $200 to seat me in coach, which I accepted. It took about 45 days for me to receive the ETV in the mail. Every time I called they would tell me its in the mail.
Old Feb 12, 08, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
This is funny. I've gotten them on the phone and via email. Usually it's email.
Old Feb 12, 08, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

I called the ESD back today, the agent says that I will have it via email within 48 hours.

She said it was against policy to tell me the pin over the phone.

I'm not holding my breath...

Search this Thread