Pricing Question

 
Old Jan 16, 08, 6:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Pricing Question

flying 1st class from san jose, costa rica to houston is showing aprox $1,300
flying 1st class from san jose to las vegas, THRU Houston is showing $788


houston is my base so my question is: what happens if i book san jose, costa rica to las vegas on the MUCH cheaper fare, and when i go to get my bags after immigration, simply don't re-check them ?? will i be put on a list or have some kind of consequences for simply not going onto my next flight segment ??

seriously, nearly double the price for getting off in houston vs. taking up another 1st class to las vegas for 3+hours is a bit retarded, isnt' it ??

**** just added *** my intention is to go to houston, las vegas was just an example of a cheaper route that goes thru houston

Last edited by njwbets; Jan 16, 08 at 7:00 pm Reason: clarify point
njwbets is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:01 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,160
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What you are describing is hidden city ticketing and is a violation of the contract of carriage. Doing it once or twice won't get you in a lot of trouble. Doing it a lot will.

Happy flying.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 16, 08 at 8:09 pm Reason: corrected which type of bad it is
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
What you are describing is throw-away ticketing and is a violation of the contract of carriage. Doing it once or twice won't get you in a lot of trouble. Doing it a lot will.
I'd add to smb12's response that you could very well have a problem if you do this on the OUTBOUND rather than the RETURN. If you book SJO-IAH-LAS-IAH-SJO but try to fly SJO-IAH/IAH-SJO, you can get off at IAH on the outbound but your return will probably be cancelled because you didn't show up for IAH-LAS
WineIsGood is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:13 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
ok, figured they would not approve -- next question: does anyone know why the ridiculous pricing in this example ? if i go on to the next segment, eat the food, take up the seat and all that goes into that process behind the scenes, it's almost half the price -- why ??
njwbets is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS
Posts: 3,529
Originally Posted by njwbets View Post
**** just added *** my intention is to go to houston, las vegas was just an example of a cheaper route that goes thru houston
I'd look into something closer perhaps like SJC-IAH-AUS where you can fly to AUS and then drive back to IAH. Of course you'll need to drive back out to AUS to get on your return.
Lurker1999 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Posts: 352
Originally Posted by njwbets View Post
flying 1st class from san jose, costa rica to houston is showing aprox $1,300
flying 1st class from san jose to las vegas, THRU Houston is showing $788
Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post
I'd add to smb12's response that you could very well have a problem if you do this on the OUTBOUND rather than the RETURN. If you book SJO-IAH-LAS-IAH-SJO but try to fly SJO-IAH/IAH-SJO, you can get off at IAH on the outbound but your return will probably be cancelled because you didn't show up for IAH-LAS
They will absolutely cancel a return. I found that out the hard way.

I had no idea it is so cheap to fly to LAS-SJO. Thanks for posting. I think I will book that.
DragonPhish is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:47 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,160
Originally Posted by njwbets View Post
why ??
Mostly because they can. Everyone flying to LAS has to connect anyways, while those flying to IAH have a choice of connecting or a non-stop. There is a premium for a non-stop in that regard. Some of the most expensive fares are on short flights (NYC-WAS/BOS is almost $700 r/t for a Y fare and a ~200 mile flight).

S.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:48 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
thank you for the replies
njwbets is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 7:51 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJO
Programs: CO Gold
Posts: 1,217
If you really want to fly first class then you could take a compromise

book SJO-LAS for the cheapo fare and the return do it IAH-SJO , it wont be as cheap as roundtrip SJO-LAS but it will be cheaper than SJO-IAH
wolfie_cr is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 8:03 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,976
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What you are describing is throw-away ticketing and is a violation of the contract of carriage. Doing it once or twice won't get you in a lot of trouble. Doing it a lot will.

Happy flying.


I think this is actually called hidden-city or point-beyond ticket.

Regardless, it is against the rules as has already been pointed out.
channa is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 8:09 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,160
Originally Posted by channa View Post
I think this is actually called hidden-city or point-beyond ticket.

Regardless, it is against the rules as has already been pointed out.
You're correct. Throw-away is using half a round-trip ticket. Hidden city is stopping before you get where you're ticketed to. But it still is bad.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 08, 8:26 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,892
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You're correct. Throw-away is using half a round-trip ticket. Hidden city is stopping before you get where you're ticketed to. But it still is bad.
and if you give your onepass number, they may take away all your miles as penalty.
keisari is online now  
Old Jan 16, 08, 8:47 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: HKG
Programs: Priority Club Plat
Posts: 12,311
Originally Posted by njwbets View Post
next question: does anyone know why the ridiculous pricing in this example ? if i go on to the next segment, eat the food, take up the seat and all that goes into that process behind the scenes, it's almost half the price -- why ??
Airfare is never priced based on actual distance flown, or number of connections, or total time traveled. Airfare is priced by market, based on supply and demand.

Same all over the industry, US and outside.

You need to change your thinking.

In your case, for SJO-LAS, there are lots of 1-stop competition on various airlines. But for SJO-IAH, CO offer non-stop, which they can charge a premium. Think about it this way, and the pricing makes perfect sense.
rkkwan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: