Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Furious at CO - But do I have a right to be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furious at CO - But do I have a right to be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is this Ttocs Yrael'o?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:49 pm

!revresbo detseretni na tsuJ, oN
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by InsiderCO
that the IAH-SEA flight you were supposed to be on goes on to Anchorage on a fairly short turn (and then returns to SEA before going on to EWR); as a result, holding the plane for you might have resulted in missed connection in SEA, ANC, SEA (the next morning) or EWR. The reason that an LAX flight at that hour might be held is that the plane probably overnights in LAX or has a long sit before turning a red-eye--meaning there would be fewer downline misconnects if the plane is held.
actually it seems like late here was a matter of 5 minutes whic should be recoverable of not material.

I do think OP should get milies back on the non-FC portions. They paid for FC and didn't get it. Simple as that.

I have experienced this frustartion before--albeit not with the medical situation--and it is frustrating to miss a flight by 30 seconds or 2 minutes. Once had a flight misconnected in the system when I arrived at the airport before the flight left. I wnet to cehck at podium they told me I wouldnt make it and had been rebooked. Since my flight was not yet supposed to be departing I was a bit miffed. However, I ran to the next gate and sure enough the door had just been closed, Had I not stopped to ask I would have made it. GRRRRRRRRRR.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:33 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by SEA-Risk
Thanks for reading...thoughts and insights?
You admit you were not on your best behavior; many people here (and in the real world) don't have the guts to do that. kudos ^ Hope your injury heals quickly.

I pretty much lost it at Customer Service, and exhibited a-hole behaviour of which I am not proud. This included barging right up to the desk using the blue carpet and literally throwing the Plat card onto the desk. I will give the cs rep credit for not slapping me, and instead calling a RedCoat. At my girlfriend's insistent urging, I calmed down and the RC mentioned that it was a good thing, "since there are about 7 FBI agents around" and that it was only because I was a Plat that I wasn't being hauled away.
So the CO RC said that the decision whether or not to call a LEO hinged upon your status. That's only inviting more of the "I'm xxx status with you, so you better kiss my $#! and bow." attitude.

Originally Posted by Sammythebarber
Your entire rant was nonsense. Have the plane wait? For what...are you the president? Planes don't wait for you and me. Just accept it as a fact of life.
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Long story short, CO has got nothing to be sorry about. Asking if the captain call and hold your connecting flight from the air? Just silly. They have much more important things to do, like, I don't know, FLY THE PLANE.

Quick question. Did the doctor in FLA actually prescribe the wine with the percoset?
Planes do wait for people. It's not silly or out of line to ask, especially when CO and other airlines do hold aircraft for connecting passengers. Unless you know that the crew never forwards such requests, it was reasonable and prudent to ask.

Regarding the Percocet with alcohol, while it's not the best idea, an otherwise healthy adult male taking a normal dose of both a single time shouldn't really have a problem. Of course the combo makes you loopier than either alone. During regular use I'd be more concerned about the APAP (Tylenol) in the Percocet interacting with the alcohol in a bad way. (I am not a doctor; ignore me).

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I agree that I would definitely ask for the difference in miles between F and Y. It's the least they could do and seems straightforward and obvious (which means it probably won't be done).
Seems reasonable to me.

Originally Posted by rbrenton88
That's an absurd number of miles!!! What is wrong with you??
Clearly the OP is insane.

Last edited by ralfp; Jan 16, 2008 at 8:40 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AS MVPGold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Thanks for all the productive comments thus far, and even the unproductive ones.....A few points of clarification:

It is not my intention to rant, particuarly since I don't like unedited ranting in others. I've tried to include as much self critique as possible and have layed out the facts as I see them in support of the question that I posit...As with most adverse travel experiences, there are actually two flights - the factual one in terms of what, when, where, how, why and the emotive one that tends to modify and colour the actual one. I've tried to segregate the "emotional" part from the "actual" part to the best of my ability. If it still seems like ranting, hey sorry, but at least I tried. With respect to some of the more unsavory aspects of my behaviour during that day I will say that I've never, and I mean never, acted towards any CO personnel in that way before. But I think that this instance the combination of the severe pain (as an aside, the total number of broken bones was 8, which have been fixed by 11 screws and 3 plates), the perscription medicine and the frustration acted to create a perfect storm. Again, not proud of my behaviour, but I've seen people completely lose their cool under much less trying cirumstances.

I think that JEdward's comments come fairly closely to what I'm trying to say. Most of the issues in this board are really questions of supply and demand. There's way too much demand for the supply, and how CO allocates these scarce resources, whether they be seats, upgrades, on time departures, PC access, or whatever, in terms of cost benefit, and whether we as consumers (each with our specific points of desire and advocacy) agree with CO's decisions is really the point.

In this instance, I'm saying that I intuitively don't agree with CO in terms of the cost-benefit judgement call for not holding the plane, but I don't have all the facts and therefore am throwing out the issue to the forum. The facts on "my" side of the balance sheet, as I see them in descending order of priority are A. I had a medical emergency that I made CO aware of well in advance (that's my duty as a passenger), B. the missed connection time was only 3 minutes C. the gates were right accross from each other, D. there's no reason to suspect that they wouldn't have made up any lost time in the air (of course I can't verify this) and E. customer loyalty/status. The facts on the other side of the equation are also numerous for the various reasons outlined by other posters.

Clearly, someone at CO makes the judgement calls for hold/release, and if they've got the ability to somehow process and collate all this information and still released the plane, then I think shame on them. If they don't have the ability to take all of this into account, then that's something that we as consumers should strive for CO to perhaps pay attention to in the future. The third option is that there are facts out there of which I'm not cognizant, and that cycles back into my original question....

My specific experience and reaction may seem to some like whining, but you never know when you'll be in the same situation, and I certainly wouldn't want anybody repeat my experience. As such, I hope that there's some benefit, tangential or otherwise, that can be brought to bear from sharing this experience. I mean, after all, is that one of the primary purposes of the forum.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The facts on "my" side of the balance sheet, as I see them in descending order of priority are A. I had a medical emergency that I made CO aware of well in advance (that's my duty as a passenger), B. the missed connection time was only 3 minutes C. the gates were right accross from each other, D. there's no reason to suspect that they wouldn't have made up any lost time in the air (of course I can't verify this) and E. customer loyalty/status.
The people making the decisions on whether to hold a flight or not generally do not have access to A nor E. Also, A doesn't require them to do anything other than provide a wheelchair. Even if you weren't injured they still wouldn't have held the plane, and your injury shouldn't change that one way or the other. D requires additional fuel burn, which is something that has to be planned for well in advance, plus that costs real money. B and C could factor in to the Ops planning, but that also assumes that they are holding the plane at the gate until the departure time. With the "all passengers must be on board 10 minutes prior to departure" rule, you were actually 13 minutes late, not just 3.

Yeah, it stinks, and being high and drunk all at once probably clouded your judgment, yielding some actions on your part that probably didn't help your case with and of the CSRs you interacted with, but I see very little that CO did completely wrong in this case. Sure, it would've been better if you had been rebooked automatically in F so all you had to do was show up, but that doesn't always work so well, as you found out.

S.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sbm12
The people making the decisions on whether to hold a flight or not generally do not have access to A nor E.
Actually, they do have access to your elite status. The Ops folks in Houston told us on the tour that that is one of the things they take into account in situations like this!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: Too many!
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Did he?

I read that he traveled MIA-IAH in F, than Y to LAX and onwards to SEA.
My understanding as well. If this wasn't the case and travel was completed in F, I can't say that I'd see CO coming through with anything beyond goodwill.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JetSet78
My understanding as well. If this wasn't the case and travel was completed in F, I can't say that I'd see CO coming through with anything beyond goodwill.
he was in F on the first return segment. From the first post: "Our seats back on the MIA-IAH (CO 391 - departure time 2:50)and IAH-SEA (CO 667 departure time 5:20) legs were respectively 1A/1B and 2A/2B."

I'd say that a partial mileage return on a goodwill basis would be a nice gesture but is in no way necessary.

While I certainly echo the sentiment that coming clean here regarding being drunk/abusive tells us much more of the story, one can also see how airport personnel would not take kindly to it. I know that if I were placed into that situation I wouldn't.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Actually, they do have access to your elite status. The Ops folks in Houston told us on the tour that that is one of the things they take into account in situations like this!
I was in a different session than you on that tour, but I don't remember them mentioning that.

I know that they consider total number of affected pax, but I did not think that the status played into it. Either way, I'm still not surprised that they didn't hold it.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AS MVPGold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by JetSet78
You're correct - IAH to LAX on CO was Y. LAX to SEA on AS was also ticketed Y on the connection that I missed in LAX, but since they got me on an irregular ops plane (the redirected OC-SEA plane that isn't regularly scheduled LAX) and I'm AS MVPG I managed to grab open F seat -but I don't think they adjusted my ticket....how this leg is handled in terms of potential miles refund I have absolutely no idea....
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: Too many!
You're correct - IAH to LAX on CO was Y. LAX to SEA on AS was also ticketed Y on the connection that I missed in LAX, but since they got me on an irregular ops plane (the redirected OC-SEA plane that isn't regularly scheduled LAX) and I'm AS MVPG I managed to grab open F seat -but I don't think they adjusted my ticket....how this leg is handled in terms of potential miles refund I have absolutely no idea....
I still wouldn't bet on compensation, but I also wouldn't bet that CO knew of the last minute F accommodation on AS, especially if it wasn't wasn't changed in your reservation.

It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you have the same approach you did here.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Regarding the redcoat -- if you give attitude you're likely to get attitude. Lashing out at the people who can help you isn't generally a good course of action. I see from the above that you know that.
My sympathies for the OP, sounds like you had a tough go of it. Here's to hoping you are doing it better. ^

Adding to xyzzy's comments: any use of a swear word, even if neither offensive in context nor said above a whisper, will draw a red card. I think this is unfortunate at some level as customers can cause a whole lot more ruckus w/out swearing than that caused by the muted f-bomb. Nonetheless, airline/ airport staff are trained to use any issuance of a curse word as an excuse not to provide service.

Thanks for posting, it's a cautionary tale for us all.

Safe travels!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
My specific experience and reaction may seem to some like whining, but you never know when you'll be in the same situation, and I certainly wouldn't want anybody repeat my experience. As such, I hope that there's some benefit, tangential or otherwise, that can be brought to bear from sharing this experience. I mean, after all, is that one of the primary purposes of the forum.
Sorry to hear about your injuries

Unfortunately, I think that what would have normally been an annoying misconnect became a more extreme situation given your injuries. In the same painful situation, many of us would have been on not-our-best behavior (kudos to you for admitting it). Had there been more people on your flight making the same connection you were, CO may have held the flight for you, but barring that I wouldn't expect CO to hold a flight because a passenger is injured. Sorry about the rough trip you had to get through
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:36 pm

Tough situation for everyone. For the most part, the only thing a GA will read is the incoming message, stating that a wheelchair is needed. Unless more is placed in that message (by the departing city GA) we have no idea why you need a wheelchair unless we look into your PNR, and that would also mean that someone would have had to document why you needed a whch, of which they are not required to do.

Being rude is rude. Next time just say excuse me, turn your back and swear. Then the agent knows that you are not "attacking" them, because that is how your swearing and yelling is perceived.

Hope you feel better soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.