Wiki Posts
Search

EWR - London Service Q's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
EWR - London Service Q's

I'm going to flying over to London in the latter of '08 to visit a friend. I am pretty satisfied with the CO domestic. I won't mind givin' them a try internationally. Maybe ya'll could help me out here.

1) Like I said, I'm looking to head over the pond in the latter half of '08, preferably October or early half November. Is there certain times of the fall thats best time to go? What days of the week/weekend are the best?

2) When would be the best time to book as far as price goes?

3) How does the domestic product differ from the international?

4) How does CO service out of EWR compare to other carriers such as VA and AA out of JFK or BA out of EWR/PHL/JFK?

Thanks all.

Last edited by Seat13c; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:15 pm
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Seat13c
I'm going to flying over to London in the latter of '08 to visit a friend. I am pretty satisfied with the CO domestic. I won't mind givin' them a try internationally. Maybe ya'll could help me out here.

1) Like I said, I'm looking to head over the pond in the latter half of '08, preferably October or early half November. Is there certain times of the fall thats best time to go? What days of the week/weekend are the best?

2) When would be the best time to book as far as price goes?

3) How does the domestic product differ from the international?

4) How does CO service out of EWR compare to other carriers such as VA and AA out of JFK or BA out of EWR/PHL/JFK?

Thanks all.
Are you asking about the coach or BF service? If coach I personally would rate any european carrier over any american carrier (in general terms) but that is a matter of heated disagreement on this forum 9see prior threads).
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It would be helpful for a few more details behind your travel plans.
  1. It depends what you're looking for. Weather-wise, October can be very pleasant. Days are noticeably shorter (and start to get colder) in November. Regarding the days of the week, you'll have to explain exactly what it is you're looking for.
  2. Generally, but not always, the further out you book, the lower the price tends to be. It's kind of like purchasing stock: there are opinions, but no clear cut rules for securing the lowest possible price. You have to decide a budget and determine if the price offered by CO fits your needs.
  3. Coach or BF? Coach is similar to domestic flights. The meal is arguably better; there are free headphones (and duty free if that is of interest!). BF is markedly superior to domestic FC.
  4. Big question. CO has a better coach product than either AA or DL. (I threw in DL for good measure). CO has also a better coach product that VS. VS has a premium economy section that prices out close to a CO H fare; it's a better product than CO's coach. IMHO, BA has a very classy product. Like VS, I find employees a little annoying sometimes, but it is a good product. VS boarding is a mess!

IMHO, CO has the second best business product. BA's is excellent. AA's is good, but not as good as CO's. IMHO, VS is overrated. Service on CO is good, but in my experience, it's not as consistent as it was in the 90s. For business travel, I'd opt for CO.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:03 am
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I should have clarified the class sooner. I'll be flying in coach. Since the trip is for personal reasons, I really can't see my company paying for it, especially BF.

I've also noticed that CO runs 752 ER, 762 ER, and the 777. Should I have a prefference for my trip over the pond?

Regarding the days of the week, is there really any benefit of flying mid week over the weekend? (price? flights being crowd?) If there's not too much difference, I'll problably stick to my plan of flying over on a Saturday.

Like I've said before, I am very familiar with CO's domestic product. I just haven't flown to Europe since I was 8 y/o. I just want to make sure I'm goin' with one of the better carriers on the route.

Last edited by Seat13c; Dec 31, 2007 at 6:09 am
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
1) The weather is nicer in October than November. Airfare should be cheaper for November. London is crowded with tourists on weekends than weekdays if that's a concern for you. Otherwise it doesn't make much of a difference. Tuesday-Thurs typically are less crowded.

2) It's hit or miss on the best time to purchase a ticket. I've noticed flights to London have high fares far in advance and then lower and stay there until shortly before the date of departure.

3)Only real difference between domestic and international coach is the food. (bring a pen along to fill out landing cards/ customs forms, CO doesn't supply like BA and VS)

4)I'd take VS over CO in coach. Better product in my opinion and much better inflight entertainment. More comfortable seats generally but at the same time they still have a few 747's with very uncomfortable seats. I don't like BA's 777 seats. CO's 777 seats much better. BA cabin crew tend to be a bit crankier than CO's but they put on a smile and are a bit more polite and attentive than CO's. VS flight attendants are better to look at but less attentive than BA's (if any are over the age of 25 I'd be shocked). I get through immigrations faster with CO and VS compared to BA as CO and VS have a higher percentage of EU residents than BA which means less people in the non-EU line (I know, different terminals/airports)

It is nicer to fly the 777's compared to the 757's On red-eyes it really doesn't make much of a difference if you are on a 757 or 777 if your goal is to sleep. It is quiter in the middle set of seats on the 777 and 767. 777 exit row seats are very noisy.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
If you're flying late next year, CO generally has sales where fares can range in the low $300 r/t range-- (and sometimes even lower than that), Those announcemnts come after the summer season. Speaking of summer though, CO often offers BF fares of $1200-- and again offers cheap BF fares for the late Oct thru Dec period. As for days of travel, you will ususally get a cheaper fare with a Sat night stay. Comfort in coach depends on personal preference. I am not a large person, and thus find no fault in CO's seating, but others find it cramped. As for type of aircraft, again personal preference comes into play-- do you want 2 aisles? feel more comfortable in a widebody, large aircraft? Others can chime in on thosse benefits. For the flight itself, it is rather quick from EWR. You board, settle in, get served a meal (choice of chicken or beef ), watch a bit of the movie -- headsets are free, or bring your own, get a small bit of shut eye, the next thing you know, the FA's are serving breakfast and you're preparing to land.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
I would take one of the day flights to London. I found it really nice to do that on VS, arriving around time for a nice dinner in London, going to sleep and then the next day being much more refreshed than any trip to europe I've ever taken. I highly recommend flying during the day to europe.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Some other things to consider re: CO vs. others in coach.

Carry-on baggage - CO will let you bring on more than VS, which will allow only one item, even from the US, and will weigh that item to make sure it is under their limit, which used to be something like 14 pounds. Others may have more up to date info on the weight limit. So, a bag that other airlines would let you bring on board, VS will force you to check, which can be awkward depending on what else you have with you to use as a carry-on bag. Further, and this should change by the time you fly later in the year, when flying from the UK, you are only allowed one carryon; you don’t get to have both a carry-on small roller bag and a computer bag - you get to take one on board.

Drinks - in CO coach, you have to pay for wine, beer, hard drinks, while EU carriers don’t; I have no info on the other US carriers. Again, others may have better info on this than I.

Plane Size & Flight Time - by the time you fly, CO will be operating to Heathrow, which can be abominable, as well as Gatwick. Right now, it’s just LGW, and I’ve had to wait as long as 1 1/2 hours to clear immigration because flights from other countries have come in at the same time as the later flights. Also, the bigger planes usually get in earlier in the morning, and you will likely find your hotel unable to give you your room for several hours, as opposed to arriving later in the day. Depending on where you stay, they may have a freshen up room you can use briefly, or not. By the fall, CO is supposed to be running a daytime flight from the US to Heathrow.

Entertainment Systems - Whether you have the new AVOD system, or the old everybody’s movie starts at the same time system will depend on the plane you’re on. Given the delay in CO getting the 787’s, they are rejiggering the fleet around, so it’s hard to say now what you are likely to get in the Autumn.

Just some of the other things that will come into play.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA, NW, CO, AA (General Member)
you might try Virgin Atlantic out of EWR, they are spectacular
Old Jan 1, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
3)Only real difference between domestic and international coach is the food. (bring a pen along to fill out landing cards/ customs forms, CO doesn't supply like BA and VS)

4)I'd take VS over CO in coach. Better product in my opinion and much better inflight entertainment. More comfortable seats generally but at the same time they still have a few 747's with very uncomfortable seats. I don't like BA's 777 seats. CO's 777 seats much better. BA cabin crew tend to be a bit crankier than CO's but they put on a smile and are a bit more polite and attentive than CO's. VS flight attendants are better to look at but less attentive than BA's (if any are over the age of 25 I'd be shocked). I get through immigrations faster with CO and VS compared to BA as CO and VS have a higher percentage of EU residents than BA which means less people in the non-EU line (I know, different terminals/airports)

It is nicer to fly the 777's compared to the 757's On red-eyes it really doesn't make much of a difference if you are on a 757 or 777 if your goal is to sleep. It is quiter in the middle set of seats on the 777 and 767. 777 exit row seats are very noisy.
Comment 4 seems a little presumptious...
- "VS have a higher percentage of EU residents than BA which means less people in the non-EU line..." Prove it.

The B757 can appear cramped on TATL flights, although in reality, it's only marginally longer than a domestic transcon. A widebody would be the preference. Little differences like PTVs & a better ride..

The BA World Traveller (Economy) seats are the same across the board, & perhaps the best seats ever made for us cattle class folk! They have a very generous recline (almost too generous), wings on the headrest that fold down to give you something to rest your head on. BA now have guartenteed AVOD out of JFK whereas Virgin don't (A340-300s fitted with Arcadia system, not V-Port, Virgins on demand system)

There are dozens of other carriers on NYC-LON;
- Air India. Renowned cheap transatlantic airfares. Now operating spanking new B777-300ERs on BOM-LHR-JFK flights. Fitted with world class configs.
- Kuwait Airways. Also know for cheap fares across the atlantic. Alternates between B777 & A340. Service comparable with other gulf airlines such as Emirates & Qatar.
- American Airlines. Multi daily triple sevens.
- Delta. JFK-LGW/LHR flights. B767/B757s. No PTVs

& alternative routes.
- US Airways from PHL to LHR
- Continental to BRS/BHX

Originally Posted by Donut13
you might try Virgin Atlantic out of EWR, they are spectacular
But not a patch on BA...

Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I would take one of the day flights to London. I found it really nice to do that on VS, arriving around time for a nice dinner in London, going to sleep and then the next day being much more refreshed than any trip to europe I've ever taken. I highly recommend flying during the day to europe.
Yes, Continental have scheduled one of their daily EWR-LHR flights as a daytime. Delta have copied this from JFK. BA do 2 daily daylights JFK-LHR & one from EWR. Virgin to 1 from both EWR & JFK. American fly at least one from JFK.

The short overnights are nasty. It's nice to arrive, crash & enjoy the next day... Don't sleep at all on the plane.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
Can't agree with this more. East Coast to London flights are so short that the red-eye is brutal on the body. Even in J, the short distance means you won't get a lot of sleep. If you feel like you must take the overnight, then I would take a flight that leaves as late as possible, eat in the airport, and try to go right to sleep. The 6 pm-ish departures are for masochists, as they land around 2 am East Coast time, when your body wants to be asleep. Going for the daylight flight saves you more in productivity and comfort than you lose in time on the ground by avoiding the overnight.

As for which airline, in coach (assuming same pricing)? If you are CO elite, then go CO for the elite bonus miles. If non-elite, but accruing on CO, then I would probably go with VS for the booze and better entertainment options. For product alone, I would probably go with BA, but this isn't a strong preference and comes with caveats that a) the FF earning stinks on Y fares, and b) that you will have to take your chances at check-in with seating, unless you have some sort of OneWorld status.

Have a good trip.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:08 am

I know you said coach, but take a hard look at Silverjet or even Eos (especially if you have Membership Rewards).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by BTMaximus
I know you said coach, but take a hard look at Silverjet or even Eos (especially if you have Membership Rewards).
Silverjet can be up to a third extra which is reasonable, although EOS, as great as it is, is WELL out of reach with a budget for coach...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Can't agree with this more. East Coast to London flights are so short that the red-eye is brutal on the body. Even in J, the short distance means you won't get a lot of sleep. If you feel like you must take the overnight, then I would take a flight that leaves as late as possible, eat in the airport, and try to go right to sleep. The 6 pm-ish departures are for masochists, as they land around 2 am East Coast time, when your body wants to be asleep. Going for the daylight flight saves you more in productivity and comfort than you lose in time on the ground by avoiding the overnight.

As for which airline, in coach (assuming same pricing)? If you are CO elite, then go CO for the elite bonus miles. If non-elite, but accruing on CO, then I would probably go with VS for the booze and better entertainment options. For product alone, I would probably go with BA, but this isn't a strong preference and comes with caveats that a) the FF earning stinks on Y fares, and b) that you will have to take your chances at check-in with seating, unless you have some sort of OneWorld status.

Have a good trip.
I've pretty much narrowed it downt to either CO or VS since I can earn miles on both. The final price will determine which carrier I travel on (if VS is $50 or more over CO, its not worth the free beer).

Originally Posted by BTMaximus
I'm sorry but I really don't want to be paying $2000 plus dollars for a plane tickets. Since I'll be staying with a friend, my whole trip, including airfare, will cost less flying EOS or Silverjet.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Seat13c
Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I've pretty much narrowed it downt to either CO or VS since I can earn miles on both. The final price will determine which carrier I travel on (if VS is $50 or more over CO, its not worth the free beer).

I'm sorry but I really don't want to be paying $2000 plus dollars for a plane tickets. Since I'll be staying with a friend, my whole trip, including airfare, will cost less flying EOS or Silverjet.
Just for the record, Silverjet will take you for $2400...return^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.