Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade plane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:58 am
ecq
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Continental--and for that matter all carriers--have a much better way of dealing with the issue. As the plane fills, they just raise the price of remaining seats (up to a point).
now i've got another question. i looked at the seating arrangements and the flight is full. i bought a ticket for my mother and of course i can't pick a seat, there are none left! why would continental still accept tickets if the plane is full? i understand that airlines overbook and some people won't show up. but what is the percentage? or is that too specific?

also if i go to the gate, if the gate person asks if anyone will give up a ticket and wait for the next flight, how much of a compensation will they give? i wouldn't mind giving my seat to my mother and take the next plane
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:58 am
ecq
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC2TLV
I realised after I wrote it that it might come off a bit jerky. Sorry about that.
it's ok.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ecq
now i've got another question. i looked at the seating arrangements and the flight is full. i bought a ticket for my mother and of course i can't pick a seat, there are none left! why would continental still accept tickets if the plane is full? i understand that airlines overbook and some people won't show up. but what is the percentage? or is that too specific?

also if i go to the gate, if the gate person asks if anyone will give up a ticket and wait for the next flight, how much of a compensation will they give? i wouldn't mind giving my seat to my mother and take the next plane
A number of seats are held for airport check-in. I'd definitely try checking in at EXACTLY the 24hr mark to see if you can snag a seat, otherwise you will need to get to the airport early.

If you have a confirmed reservation, arrive at the airport early - but look at the situation as a golden opportunity. If no seats become available, your mother is IDB and entitled to both cash compensation as well as accommodation on the next available CO flight, or another airline if no CO flight leaves within a reasonable time. If an overnight is required, CO will pay for the hotel, meals and be on the hook for additional cash compensation.

If it comes to that, make sure your mother insists on cash payment - not the voucher.

Here is a link to acquaint yourself with your rights:
http://www.extremetourist.com/member...enied+Boarding

I can't remember if the change was implemented, but there was talk of doubling the cash compensation max to $400.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:18 am
ecq
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
A number of seats are held for airport check-in. I'd definitely try checking in at EXACTLY the 24hr mark to see if you can snag a seat, otherwise you will need to get to the airport early.

If you have a confirmed reservation, arrive at the airport early - but look at the situation as a golden opportunity. If no seats become available, your mother is IDB and entitled to both cash compensation as well as accommodation on the next available CO flight, or another airline if no CO flight leaves within a reasonable time. If an overnight is required, CO will pay for the hotel, meals and be on the hook for additional cash compensation.

If it comes to that, make sure your mother insists on cash payment - not the voucher.

Here is a link to acquaint yourself with your rights:
http://www.extremetourist.com/member...enied+Boarding

I can't remember if the change was implemented, but there was talk of doubling the cash compensation max to $400.
i was thinking of checking her in at the 24 hour mark. but would i have to do it for myself? I do have a seat but it's first come first serve, am i correct?

thanks for the link. i'll look at it.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ecq
i was thinking of checking her in at the 24 hour mark. but would i have to do it for myself? I do have a seat but it's first come first serve, am i correct?

thanks for the link. i'll look at it.
If you have a seat, check her in first right at 24 hours then check yourself in after.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:18 pm
ecq
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you have a seat, check her in first right at 24 hours then check yourself in after.
ok thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.