Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:26 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
9,999 bonus miles for 5-day Budget Rental

Just received this offer in my email:

Earn 9,999 Bonus Miles and Save up to 20%
Rent with Budget.
For a limited time, you can earn 9,999 bonus miles when you rent with Budget for five consecutive days or more.

This offer is valid on all car groups at any participating Budget airport location in the U.S. through Jan. 31, 2008. To receive this offer, you must reserve your rental at continental.com at least 24 hours in advance.

Simply enter U072506 in the "Discount Code" (BCD) box when making your reservation at continental.com to earn 9,999 bonus miles. This offer is in addition to the valuable savings you receive by providing this discount code. Provide your OnePass® number at time of reservation or check-in.

Offer is subject to complete terms and conditions below.

Reserve your car now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terms and Conditions

Offer valid from Dec. 1, 2007 ending Jan. 31, 2008. Valid for rentals of five consecutive days or more on all car groups. Valid at select Budget airport locations in the contiguous U.S. Offer may not be available during holiday and other blackout periods. Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee and customer facility charges ($10/contract in California) may apply and are extra. Optional products such as LDW ($28.99/day or less, except in Louisiana $49.99/day) and refueling are extra. To use this offer, reservation must be booked 24 hours in advance of pickup. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other coupon, promotion or offer. Renter must meet Budget age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old. Must use BCD # U072506 and provide OnePass number at time of rental or check-in to receive bonus miles. Offer may be withdrawn at any time. Frequent flyer surcharge of up to $0.50 per day, up to a maximum of $2.00 per rental, may apply and is extra. One coupon per rental. OnePass mileage offer valid only if booked on continental.com and rental must be completed by Jan. 31, 2008.
This is a pretty generous offer, but what sure seems like a ridiculous coincidence, not half an hour earlier I received an almost as generous offer from National/Northwest (see this thread).
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I just got this too
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's on the site, too. It smells of mistake.

The 9,999 was probably a 4-digit placeholder, they forgot to adjust before posting/sending it out.

If I'm wrong, it's one hell of a promo.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
When I checked some rates out of IAH, their prices suck. 5 days from 1/6 to 1/11. Intermediate car comes to like $310, when other agencies - also on continental.com - offer weekly rate of about $220.

Economy is still $273.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:15 pm

I'm already looking for a good deal on a 5 day rental!
SF bay area preferred....
The promo says the rental needs booking on continantal.com,
so I wonder if we book it now, whether they'll honor it.

Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
OAK came to about $160.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:23 pm

The lowest I come up with is about $28.20/day at BOS for random dates in December and January not involving any of the holidays. CO.com estimates the total at $180.71 which makes the cost about 1.81 cpm which isn't an overall bad deal.

I suppose I could use the car for a trip to Montreal to save "wear and tear" on my own car but I think there'll likely be a surcharge for that.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Continental /Budget 9,999 points

I checked getting an economy car in LNK for 5 days and I think it came out to $128. I'm really new to all of this so would spending $128 for a car for 5 days and hardly driving it to acquire almost 10,000 points would be a decent trade off wouldn't it? Or would it be stupid?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by rail rookie
I checked getting an economy car in LNK for 5 days and I think it came out to $128. I'm really new to all of this so would spending $128 for a car for 5 days and hardly driving it to acquire almost 10,000 points would be a decent trade off wouldn't it? Or would it be stupid?
$128 for 9999 rdms = 1.28cpm. So it depends on what you use them for. If you get a BF award somewhere to Asia that can turn your miles into something worth 2-3+ cents or far more (same with BF upgrades).

So it depends on what you have planned for them really. If you're not really sure I wouldn't spend the money unless you're planning on diving into CO as one of your programs. Remember miles always devalue over time.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: OnePass GOLD
If this is a mistake and you reserve the car (not pick-up and drive) before it's fixed, would CO honor the mistake promo?
Any reason to think this is a mistake?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EWRsince89
If this is a mistake and you reserve the car (not pick-up and drive) before it's fixed, would CO honor the mistake promo?

It seems unusual to me. Typically for a week long promo, we're looking at a bonus of maybe 1,000 miles max on a 5-day to weekly rental like this. Say they want to be generous, fine, make it 1,500 or 2,000 miles. This is still several times that, so much so that it seems unusual.

Then, why the 9,999? They're 1 mile short of 10,000, so make it 10,000 and make it look bigger than it is. Unless of course they're playing on the number 9. There's no 9 years of celebrating Budget and CO, no now serving 99 locations with Budget, and no 99 years of EWR delays with CO. Nothing 9 related in the ad. So I think the 9,999 number is fishy.

I think they wrote it up with the 9,999 as a placeholder, because the number of miles was undetermined at the time the deal was being hashed out. Whether it was to be 1,000 or 1,250 or 1,500 is unknown. It was a 4-digit number of some sort. Or maybe it was supposed to vary: 1,000 for everyone, 1,500 for Elites, 2,000 for certain geographical locations. That sort of thing.

I wonder how this is gonna play out.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:48 pm

We'll see. I bet next time they need a placeholder, they'll use 0,000!!!
Another interesting question is whether Budget is sharing the 'cost' for the miles,
and what will happen with such a high mileage grant.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:50 pm

I get the feeling Scott's going to be busy for a few days if this turns out to be the incorrect mileage amount. The email likely went out to all Onepass members that opted into emails so the impact will be felt more than had it just been a website promotion that was spotted on FT.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
One thing I can't figure out though:

When I try booking a Budget rental on CO.com, I get quoted a rate more than twice what I get on Budget.com, using the same dates and BCD code. Sure, the promo is interesting, but not quite interesting enough to get me to pay twice the price.

Any reason you can think of for the discrepency?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWRsince89
this isn't a mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.