Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9,999 bonus miles for 5-day Budget Rental

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yes 5-day rentals are the norm for me. In fact it is rare (and a pleasure) when my biz trips are less than five days. My trips depart sometime on Sunday and I return on Friday nights if not Saturday morning. Very often the weekly rate is available if I rent for 5 days but not if I rent for 4 days and the 4-day total exceeds the weekly total. So I rent for a week and return it early.

For vacationers a 5-day rental might not be as common.

So it really isn't a catch, I think it is more geared towards true road warriors in the hopes that they will spend their travel budget with Budget (no joke intended) and possibly book their flight with CO. There is nothing in the T&C that stipulates that the rental must accompany a booking with CO for air travel.

I am gonna rack-up on this promo.
true road warriors? i don't think i am ever in the same place for five consecutive days.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by elihu1991
true road warriors? i don't think i am ever in the same place for five consecutive days.
touche
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by checkerboard
One thing I can't figure out though:

When I try booking a Budget rental on CO.com, I get quoted a rate more than twice what I get on Budget.com, using the same dates and BCD code. Sure, the promo is interesting, but not quite interesting enough to get me to pay twice the price.

Any reason you can think of for the discrepency?
OK. I may have found a workaround to the problem I outlined above: I made the booking on CO.com (in order to qualify for the promotion), and then changed the booking on Budget.com, to get the proper rate.

Can anybody see a reason why doing so will disqualify me from this promotion? Even the much better rate I got by changing the booking on Budget.com is still slightly higher than the rate I get with another BCD I'm eligible to use... The bonus miles justify the extra expense, but it would be a pity to pay extra only to be denied the miles after the fact.

Last edited by checkerboard; Dec 11, 2007 at 11:47 pm
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Budget promo

OK. I may have found a workaround to the problem I outlined above: I made the booking on CO.com (in order to qualify for the promotion), and then changed the booking on Budget.com, to get the proper rate.

Can anybody see a reason why doing so will disqualify me from this promotion? Even the much better rate I got by changing the booking on Budget.com is still slightly higher than the rate I get with another BCD I'm eligible to use... The bonus miles justify the extra expense, but it would be a pity to pay extra only to be denied the miles after the fact.
Yes,my understanding is that modifying the rate on Budget.com post facto will disqualify you from this promotion.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
I'm still using the special BCD for the offer, all I've changed are my dates (both pickup & delivery, to make the rental a bit longer).

It does beg the question though of why CO.com prices Budget cars for significantly more than Budget.com prices them, with the same BCD. Not very sporting of CO.com and/or budget.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that modifying the rate post-facto would be disqualifying?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I'm still using the special BCD for the offer, all I've changed are my dates (both pickup & delivery, to make the rental a bit longer).

It does beg the question though of why CO.com prices Budget cars for significantly more than Budget.com prices them, with the same BCD. Not very sporting of CO.com and/or budget.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that modifying the rate post-facto would be disqualifying?
I can't explain "why" it will happen but I've got a shiny bag of nickels that says it will. I was using a similar work around to secure car rentals for my Mileathon promo. Last year it worked but this year it's a no-go and the requirements were almost identical to this one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM

For two reasons:

#1 I checked with an reputable source and,
#2 it is stipulated on the promo page, Offer is only valid when booking your reservation on continental.com. Modifying the reservation through Budget's web-site would effectively alter the booking source and disqualify participation in the promotion.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jwall103
#2 it is stipulated on the promo page, Offer is only valid when booking your reservation on continental.com. Modifying the reservation through Budget's web-site would effectively alter the booking source and disqualify participation in the promotion.
scott,

please opine.

thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jwall103
...#2 it is stipulated on the promo page, Offer is only valid when booking your reservation on continental.com. Modifying the reservation through Budget's web-site would effectively alter the booking source and disqualify participation in the promotion.
The miles cost Budget $$$$, so therefore the rate must be higher.

What about the airlines themselves? They sell their miles to hundreds of firms, such as credit card companies, rental car agencies, hotels, and who knows what else. The rate per mile the largest companies pay is confidential, but they reportedly average between 1 and 2 cents per mile. In fact, this is a huge revenue stream for the airlines, estimated at $10 billion worldwide.
http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/2...t-flyer-miles/

Last edited by Bonehead; Dec 12, 2007 at 7:23 am
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Changes to items other than rate. Disqualify?

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I can't explain "why" it will happen but I've got a shiny bag of nickels that says it will. I was using a similar work around to secure car rentals for my Mileathon promo. Last year it worked but this year it's a no-go and the requirements were almost identical to this one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Would changing something other than the rate disqualify the promotion? I ask because I want to enter my flight information into the Budget reservation but I can not seem to do that at Continental.com. If I pull up the reservation at Budget.com and modify the reservation to reflect my incoming flight number would this somehow disqualify me from the 9,999 OP miles promo?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Would changing something other than the rate disqualify the promotion? I ask because I want to enter my flight information into the Budget reservation but I can not seem to do that at Continental.com. If I pull up the reservation at Budget.com and modify the reservation to reflect my incoming flight number would this somehow disqualify me from the 9,999 OP miles promo?

Scott will give a better answer than anyone else here but I woudn't change anything on a another website if I wanted it to be counted towards the promo. Is it worth losing those miles just to enter flight info? I would say the short answer is "no" but maybe Scott can find out if it's possible. Why not call CO and try to add the info after the fact?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Would changing something other than the rate disqualify the promotion?
that is the $64 million (MM) question. we are waiting for scott to chime in.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: United 1K (I miss CO) & 1MM; AA Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I found a rate for $129.33 at LAX this friday returning early wednesday morning (real red eye flight 1:35am) that qualifies for 5 days. Its a steal.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:34 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Scott will give a better answer than anyone else here but I woudn't change anything on a another website if I wanted it to be counted towards the promo. Is it worth losing those miles just to enter flight info? I would say the short answer is "no" but maybe Scott can find out if it's possible. Why not call CO and try to add the info after the fact?
Hi Everyone, while I can confirm that changing your rate after booking to another rate or discount code will nullify the promotional bonus, I cannot yet confirm whether changes after booking (with no change to the BCD code) would have any impact. I'll report back as soon as I have the answer.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:02 pm
Suspended

The rate I found on Budget.com was the exact same rate as CO.com. Yet the promo says save 20% and get 9,999 miles

besides that I can get a rate $90 cheaper by another company OK no 9,999 miles but then do I really need another 9,999 miles that I cant seem to be able to use unless Im willing to be racked over the coals with EasyPass soon to be Standard which it seems it has been for a couple of yrs now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.