Wiki Posts
Search

SAN Elite line closed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Liftetime Gold/ BA Silver
SAN Elite line closed

The elite line has been closed at San Diego for evening flghts... even though the sign is there the entry is roped off. 15 minutes in the regular line last night. Since there are so few upgrades coast to coast these days, this is one of the few priveleges left. Co ground staff claimed general powerlessness - but I thought this was an airline policy not a TSA policy. Is this another issue for the Insider?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:09 am

God I hope this isn't a forced move to Clear..
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
God I hope this isn't a forced move to Clear..
Don't do it -- it's a trap!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Marriot Plat Prmr (Plat Life), Hilton Dia, Hertz Prez Circle
Why is Clear a trap? I was half considering it as I fly through MCO a lot.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
What about the other checkpoint down by 22-23? They usually have an elite security line there as well.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Are we talking about the TSA security line or CO bag drop/ticketing area elite line? I'm flying SAN - IAH during the week of Thanksgiving and would enjoy skipping lines at both places thanks to my paid F fare.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by OnePass Since 87
Because once they reach a critical mass and lobby DC enough to twist TSA to their advantage, we will all be trapped into paying both Clear and the government (those taxes on your ticket) for the same security services.

It is definitely a trap.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If CO doesn't chime in on this, it's likely an airport decision - they control the feeder lines, not the airline or the TSA. Perhaps CO has a lease right to the EA security line which they can force against the airport, but the decision to close it was likely an airport one.

Did any SANers try and talk to the CO station manager? As far as I know, Tom Yourke is/was the CO SM, but I won't post his email contact here - you can ask for him or Juli Finney (ops/property mgr) when you're at the airport.

You can (and should) write the SAN Airport Director and push the issue - unless they hear from customers, they won't do anything.

The contact info for the Director's office is well guarded...call 619.400.2400 and ask for their email address, and write accordingly.

Last edited by bocastephen; Nov 7, 2007 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by OnePass Since 87
There is almost zero benefit to CLEAR. You have to give up your money and a whole lot of personal information. Feel free to search the Travel Safety & Security forum for the term "CLEAR" for more information than you ever want to know about this. Discussion of CLEAR belongs in that forum
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott PP...Southwest A+ CP
Quick question OP...did you walk up to the rope and show them your Elite Boarding pass?

It was roped off for me last week, but I just waked up, showed my pass, and they let me through...same thing happened at LAX - ORF on Sunday morning. The guards let me into the separate line after lifting the rope for me.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Liftetime Gold/ BA Silver
[QUOTE=MachiavelliIt was roped off for me last week, but I just waked up, showed my pass, and they let me through...same thing happened at LAX - ORF on Sunday morning. The guards let me into the separate line after lifting the rope for me.[/QUOTE]
There were no guards - just a long line to a desk with 2 TSA screeners checking docs. I asked them where the elite line was and they just shrugged. Didn't want to cause a riot so I just lined up. Per earlier queries: not the drop bag line, but the main security screen. Not sure if the second screen area is the same at SAN. And not sure if they have an Elite line in the mornings - they say they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.