Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OnePass credit on NW coded KL operated???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Question OnePass credit on NW coded KL operated???

I can't get a straight answer out of OnePass on this issue, they just pointed me to the website which doesn't address it. I replied to the email stating that the website doesn't address it and they didn't respond.

Also tried search and results were meaningless. Since KLM is only 3 letters I can't even try using it to search.

Will I just be screwed out of my miles on a KLM flight out of AMS that I have ticketed with a NW flight #?

This is a a pretty aggravating situation since these trips that require a NW/KL connection in AMS will either ticket as all KL flight #s or all NW flight #s, I can't get one to ticket online as NW #s to AMS and then KL #s from AMS to DXB for example.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
KL and NW are both SkyTeam carriers

Both KL and NW are SkyTeam carriers. As such, flights operated by either airline are eligible for accruing OP miles (see eligible KL fare classes below)

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...rline/klm.aspx

I believe with KL and NW, one can accrue OP miles systemwide.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Totoro

I believe with KL and NW, one can accrue OP miles systemwide.
Yes, unless the OP was enquiring about the very murky issue of EQMs
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, KL, AZ, AF, IB, LH, BA
Originally Posted by kilo
Yes, unless the OP was enquiring about the very murky issue of EQMs
I have always received EQMs, according to the schedule posted on the CO.com website (100%, 50% etc), except on a KL flight from IAH to AMS operated by PrivatAir. Never been to make sense of it ...
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pbarutta
I have always received EQMs, according to the schedule posted on the CO.com website (100%, 50% etc), except on a KL flight from IAH to AMS operated by PrivatAir. Never been to make sense of it ...
The PrivatAir flight is the only one that makes sense, as it is explicitly verboten from earning EQMs and that is stated on the earnings page.

IIRC the issue comes up with V fares that are 50% on the NW page and 100% on the KL page and it is not paticularly clear how they credit when a KL V fare is flown on NW metal. I seem to remember the answer being 100%, but please, please, please don't bet your elite status on my memory - it is rather fuzzy on this one.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum, LY Maybe:)
My best guess would be that it would be 100%. I also debated about that some time ago but KL/NWA has the same price for the codeshare flight, so might as well take the KL one.

Originally Posted by sbm12
The PrivatAir flight is the only one that makes sense, as it is explicitly verboten from earning EQMs and that is stated on the earnings page.

IIRC the issue comes up with V fares that are 50% on the NW page and 100% on the KL page and it is not paticularly clear how they credit when a KL V fare is flown on NW metal. I seem to remember the answer being 100%, but please, please, please don't bet your elite status on my memory - it is rather fuzzy on this one.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
For my most recent flight, I got full 100% EQM credit for a KL flight on a KL flight number with a Q fare. I know that should be self-evident but it is a place
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Just recently purchase NW/KL ticket to CAI and "upgraded" from V to Q for only $50 RTto "hopefully" get around any ? about EQM's. We'll see
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Based on the partner mileage earning charts, it seems that the airline codeshare, not the operating airline, will determine rate of EQM earned. Therefore:
NW flight number, KL metal, V fare = 50% eqm, 100% rdm
KL flight number, NW metal, V fare = 0% eqm, 0% rdm
NW flight number, KL metal, K/L/T fare = 50% eqm, 100% rdm
KL flight number, NW metal, K/L/T fare = 100% eqm, 100% rdm

Is this true ?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
I dunno the answer; but I posted about the same question two days ago and didn't get much response. Well, actually, I got no response at all.

For what it is worth, I called CO (plat line), and they claimed that a KLM "V" fare on KLM metal as well as the NWA "V" codeshare for the same KL-operated flights will earn ZERO miles. Nada. Nuthin'. Donut.

I wound up paying about $100 more for a KL ticket in a higher KL fare class (Q). I'd be ticked off if this was not necessary...

These KL V fares and NW V class codeshares are cropping up on NWA.com.

Last edited by perezoso; Nov 5, 2007 at 10:43 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by perezoso
I dunno the answer; but I posted about the same question two days ago and didn't get much response. Well, actually, I got no response at all.

The uncertainty surrounding KL/NW codeshares has existed for ages. I think most of us just decide not to take any chances. I might be wrong, but a long while ago didn't CO Insider say he will see that the information on Co.com is updated to clarify exactly what one earns on each flight?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I would have much preferred the CO flight to AMS before connecting to KL, but CO wanted $3500 more! per ticket. There is no way to justify paying that much more for EQMs. So ticketed Q on NW/KL. Hope the website is correct as far as earnings. Sad that CO forces you to competitors sometimes.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Q fares are fine for accrual on NW or KL.. it's the cheaper ones that are of issue.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kilo
The uncertainty surrounding KL/NW codeshares has existed for ages. I think most of us just decide not to take any chances. I might be wrong, but a long while ago didn't CO Insider say he will see that the information on Co.com is updated to clarify exactly what one earns on each flight?
He did, and I believe he also answered this question at one point. A search yields the following thread, and the specific post.

You get nothing for KL-coded V flights. There are other permutations, but the linked thread includes most of the information that you should need.

Last edited by sbm12; Nov 6, 2007 at 12:37 pm
Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:57 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi Everyone, as sbm12 mentioned, this has been discussed before. To recap, in situations where a SkyTeam carrier codeshares with another SkyTeam partner, it's a safe bet to assume EQM earnings are the same as the marketing carrier (the one whose code is on the ticket). This will always be the case provided the operating carrier (the one actually operating the flight) is a valid OnePass partner. There's definitely an opportunity to make this clearer online and to our own front line, but admittedly I don't yet have a timeframe for when this will get done.

Originally Posted by perezoso

For what it is worth, I called CO (plat line), and they claimed that a KLM "V" fare on KLM metal as well as the NWA "V" codeshare for the same KL-operated flights will earn ZERO miles. Nada. Nuthin'. Donut.

I wound up paying about $100 more for a KL ticket in a higher KL fare class (Q). I'd be ticked off if this was not necessary...

These KL V fares and NW V class codeshares are cropping up on NWA.com.
Hi perezoso, KLM-marketed flights in V class do not earn OnePass miles, Northwest-marketed flights in V class do. Assuming you were booking a KL-marketed ticket, you were correct to buy up if earning mileage and Elite qualification were a priority to you. I know it's confusing, and unfortunately, not all of our partners are consistent with what types of fares earn miles.

At least with our SkyTeam carriers, it's the marketing carrier who ultimately pays for the miles. In some cases, like with some of the most heavily-discounted KLM fare classes (e.g. V class), the marketing carrier sometimes makes the decision to not buy the miles. As a direct result, we do not allow those fare classes for mileage and Elite earnings for those fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.