Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seen on CO Departure Screens at CLE: VOLS NEEDED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seen on CO Departure Screens at CLE: VOLS NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm trying to understand what mherdeg wants and what is missing. Why would you need to get to the gate 90+ minutes before departure on anywhere near a regular basis? The only thing I can figure out is that you routinely volunteer when there is an opportunity and are upset that CO's system doesn't allow you as a volunteer that arrives near the end of the check-in process to be prioritized near the front of the VOL list based on your status. Or is there some other meaning to your post that I'm not getting?

The issue is that since CO agents seldom use the volunteer list in the computer, if you want to be considered as a volunteer on a CO flight, you need to present yourself at the gate.

It's not necessarily about volunteering late in the checkin process, it's the ability to wait in the club or volunteer for a downline flight from a connection city while you're flying in on your inbound.

With UA's process, they actually begin to work the flight before it opens, and I've sometimes even seen protection in my record before the gate opens because I've expressed interest and the flight looks like it may need volunteers. It makes it easy on both the customer and the agents.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Am I the only one wondering when CO started flying CLE-SAN nonstop again?
AFAIK, it's been seasonal for the last few years (generally running in summer and over xmas)
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:55 am

I would think an airline would welcome an experienced group of volunteers which you don't have to spend a lot of time explaining what's happening and clogging the gate area. Sign up at check in and wait in the club until needed.

Maybe we can get this as an added elite (premier) perk with standing on the wait list.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm trying to understand what mherdeg wants and what is missing. Why would you need to get to the gate 90+ minutes before departure on anywhere near a regular basis? The only thing I can figure out is that you routinely volunteer when there is an opportunity and are upset that CO's system doesn't allow you as a volunteer that arrives near the end of the check-in process to be prioritized near the front of the VOL list based on your status. Or is there some other meaning to your post that I'm not getting?
Sorry, to loop back and clarify, the issue is that I routinely volunteer when there is an opportunity and am upset that CO's system often takes the first person to present at the gate. If CO had and used a departure-management-list style VDB list, it would make my travel a little easier.

To itemize the frustrations in the current CO system that I think a VDB list would resolve:
  • It's hard to be the first one to present yourself at the gate if you're arriving from a connecting flight that runs late. (This is good for O/D pax, though!)
  • It's possible to get cut in line, if you're inattentive or unwilling to assert yourself!
  • CO agents often have no idea how many volunteers they'll be able to get. There's not a trusted way-ahead-of-time VDB list they can use to help plan capacity -- and in any event they don't respect it.
  • If you're at an airport early, your flight is oversold, and you're flexible, the only thing you can do in the CO system is stand in line until someone shows up. At UA you feel a lot more control over your travel, since you can ask any agent to put you on the VDB list, which you know gate agents are using.
  • The CO list rewards only the first pax to show up, rather than also prioritizing loyalty or value (status / fare paid). This is bad for me because I fly a lot, but could be good for other people.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Sorry, to loop back and clarify, the issue is that I routinely volunteer when there is an opportunity and am upset that CO's system often takes the first person to present at the gate. If CO had and used a departure-management-list style VDB list, it would make my travel a little easier.

To itemize the frustrations in the current CO system that I think a VDB list would resolve:
  • It's hard to be the first one to present yourself at the gate if you're arriving from a connecting flight that runs late. (This is good for O/D pax, though!)
  • It's possible to get cut in line, if you're inattentive or unwilling to assert yourself!
  • CO agents often have no idea how many volunteers they'll be able to get. There's not a trusted way-ahead-of-time VDB list they can use to help plan capacity -- and in any event they don't respect it.
  • If you're at an airport early, your flight is oversold, and you're flexible, the only thing you can do in the CO system is stand in line until someone shows up. At UA you feel a lot more control over your travel, since you can ask any agent to put you on the VDB list, which you know gate agents are using.
  • The CO list rewards only the first pax to show up, rather than also prioritizing loyalty or value (status / fare paid). This is bad for me because I fly a lot, but could be good for other people.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
AFAIK, it's been seasonal for the last few years (generally running in summer and over xmas)
Hasn't been run in summer for a few years, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.