Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice for TATL from LAX: CO vs. KLM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Need advice for TATL from LAX: CO vs. KLM

I'm planning a trip LAX-Barcelona, returning to LAX from Rome.
I'm getting similar fares on CO and KLM - maybe a $50 difference. The CO connection is through EWR and the KLM is AMS. The AMS connection makes for a shorter total travel time - about an hour less outbound and 2 hours less on the return. The KLM flight times are more convenient.
KLM would be on a 747 between LAX-AMS. I believe I would get full EQM either way. On CO, I'd have a slim chance of an upgrade as a gold on the trans-con leg only. On KLM, I'd be in coach.
The AMS connection time is 70 minutes one way and 85 minutes on the return. Is that a problem? The EWR connection times I can adjust by choosing later flights.

Any thoughts on which is a better choice?
Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
That's a tough call. AMS is much better for transit than EWR, IMO. KL has marginally more comfortable seats in coach, but the 744's have no AVOD or personal IFE, for that matter. CO will have personal IFE and better food, but you will have to travel all the way to EWR and deal with the usual EWR annoyances and endure uncomfortable CO coach seats. If the choice were a KL 777 or 332, I would say definitely take KL. Despite the shortcomings of the KL 744, I still might take KL and bring my own IFE (iPod, laptop, etc.).
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Choosing seats on KLM is opaque at best. If you are concerned about a comfortable seat, book on CO where you can choose a seat. At this point, the only way I know of to choose a seat is to email KLM and request a seat. [email protected] I don't think it's possible to choose an exit or bulkhead seat ahead of OLCI. On CO, you'll be able to choose your seat and if you're lucky, get a decent seat. And, if you wanted, you could upgrade (or wait list to upgrade) with miles.

If I weren't in MEM and tied to NW, I'd avoid KLM like the plague. It's so much trouble to get a seat.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by manneca
It's so much trouble to get a seat.
That's for sure. A number of years ago I flew KL from IAH-AMS in Y. I made multiple calls to their res. agents to get a seat assignment. Finally got one. I made my way to the very last row in coach, just in front of the lavatory. It was the worst TATL crossing I've ever done. This was pre-seatguru.com, so I didn't know what I was in for.

The message from KL's res agent was not lost on me, and I have not forgotten KL for giving me a crummy seat. I don't understand why KL (and some other European airlines) are so bad about seat assignments.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
As a Gold, you can get the mini-cabin in the front of the 744 with 3-2 seating. No IFE, but it's quiet and nice up there. And your alternative of narrowbody LAX-EWR and 752 EWR-BCN isn't very tempting either.

But on the return trip, CO FCO-EWR on a 767 is nice. Also, you can leave Rome in a later hour. KL will depart FCO early to connect at AMS.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Having the same problem. Wanting to book CO TATL to AMS then to CAI on CO, but CO price is 4x the NW/KLM price. Encountered KL seat assignment mess a few years ago as a plat. Lost good seats and sat apart from TC in backend. Because of price differential, going to book NW/KLM ticket. Should I do the TATL on NW, would I be guaranteed seats as plat/gold travelers on NW to AMS? After that I guess I just live with the KL seat assignment mess. As a ST member, preferred seat assignments are not a perk? Or do they just ignore them?
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rkkwan
As a Gold, you can get the mini-cabin in the front of the 744 with 3-2 seating. No IFE, but it's quiet and nice up there. And your alternative of narrowbody LAX-EWR and 752 EWR-BCN isn't very tempting either.

But on the return trip, CO FCO-EWR on a 767 is nice. Also, you can leave Rome in a later hour. KL will depart FCO early to connect at AMS.
Thanks, good advice.
Unfortunately, a one-way is more than a RT so I've got to choose one airline or the other. And actually, there is a 9:30 AM on KLM codeshare FCO-AMS [Alitalia metal] vs. the CO at 9:55.

Last edited by LAexNY; Oct 15, 2007 at 8:37 pm
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I would choose CO as you would have a chance of an upgrade. You also might get a 752 that has been configured with AVOD in Y.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I was just did ATL-MAD on KL. It was on a 332 so the IFE w/AVOD was quite nice. I would think AVOD would trump all.

I actually slept better on the CO Y TATL seats then KLM's. I guess I just feel more at home the loving embrace of 30in pitch.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by benjy
Having the same problem. Wanting to book CO TATL to AMS then to CAI on CO, but CO price is 4x the NW/KLM price. Encountered KL seat assignment mess a few years ago as a plat. Lost good seats and sat apart from TC in backend. Because of price differential, going to book NW/KLM ticket. Should I do the TATL on NW, would I be guaranteed seats as plat/gold travelers on NW to AMS? After that I guess I just live with the KL seat assignment mess. As a ST member, preferred seat assignments are not a perk? Or do they just ignore them?
I assume you are plat/gold on CO. You should get preferred seating. (My traveling companion is CO elite and we've never had a problem with preferred seating either on CO or NW). You should be able to get preferred seating on KL as ST elite. I emailed KLM for seat assignments for a flight 1/1 and got 12 de (forward cabin 3-2 seating) on a 744. I'm praying the assignment will hold. I have an email to them for the return. Haven't gotten a reply yet.

When you get to AMS, go to the transfer desk, stand in the elite line and ask for an exit or bulkhead seat. If my TALT flight has gotten in early enough, I've been able to snag those on KLM.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
I assume you are plat/gold on CO. You should get preferred seating. (My traveling companion is CO elite and we've never had a problem with preferred seating either on CO or NW). You should be able to get preferred seating on KL as ST elite. I emailed KLM for seat assignments for a flight 1/1 and got 12 de (forward cabin 3-2 seating) on a 744. I'm praying the assignment will hold. I have an email to them for the return. Haven't gotten a reply yet.

When you get to AMS, go to the transfer desk, stand in the elite line and ask for an exit or bulkhead seat. If my TALT flight has gotten in early enough, I've been able to snag those on KLM.
I've also been able to get seats with KLM by calling. Sometimes the first person will say no, but just call back. And remember that you can only request seats 90 days in advance.

Another thing to remember is that they open online check-in something like 30 hours in advance, and this might be the best way to secure exit row or bulkhead seats.

Personally, I would take KLM over CO, but I am not crazy about either airline in coach. I assume that AF is just too expensive?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:23 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
I've actually flown both KL and CO from IAH-AMS in Y before (both times, bought the ticket the day of travel and J was full and had to get to DXB). Comparing the both, as much as I love CO, I'd go with KL. I thought the Y seats were (slightly) more comfortable, and the fact that KL gives free booze in economy is a major + in my books.

Go with KL, plus its a connection you don't have to make.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:57 am

unless i missed it. when are you traveling?

that would determine your likelyhood of being on 757's with AVOD. if not AVOD issue, i cant imagine a tangible difference between either. bring your personal entertainment preferences with you, have a few strong drinks and pass out. the time will pass equally regardless of carrier.

in terms of chemical distractions, KL will be better as booze is free and requesting such will be less apparent then forking over a 5 everytime you want a mini bottle.

Y food TATL totally sucks and all airlines equally take that honor.

if AVOD is not an option and KL has better connections and all mileage earnings work, take KL.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by dlen111
Y food TATL totally sucks and all airlines equally take that honor.
I don't know if I agree with that. I was really impressed with the food KLM provided on my TATL. One full meal and a light snack 2hrs before landing. On the return KLM provided ice cream.

They also had hot towels..mmm

Granted Y food bites, but the European airlines at least make you feel like you are getting some value for your cash.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I've also been able to get seats with KLM by calling. Sometimes the first person will say no, but just call back. And remember that you can only request seats 90 days in advance.

Another thing to remember is that they open online check-in something like 30 hours in advance, and this might be the best way to secure exit row or bulkhead seats.

Personally, I would take KLM over CO, but I am not crazy about either airline in coach. I assume that AF is just too expensive?
I seem to recall having called NW here in the states to secure KL seat assignments (when flying KL J).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.