Wiki Posts
Search

only 50%EQM with compassion fare.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
only 50%EQM with compassion fare.

Just booked a compassion fare from IAH to LGW. You can only book fare by calling CO. First the Res person quoted a fare $400 more than I had seen on co.com. Told here there was a "Q" fare and she found that and then gave the 10% compassion bereavement discount and I booked the ticket. When I checked the booking on line it shows only 50%eqm, and I also lost 500 miles for not booking online. It seems hard to accept this as the compassion fare can only be booked by phone, and I gave all the details requested about deceased, funeral home etc..

Last edited by flyingfriar; Oct 13, 2007 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 12, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Interesting scenario. I would have put the regular "Q" fare on hold on continental.com, and then call to have them adjust the fare, and then complete the purchase online. If that's possible.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 12, 2007 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
If you're close enough to the deceased even to qualify for the compassion fare, why are you worrying about the 50% EQM's and lack of the 500-mi co.com booking bonus?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Originally Posted by mike_plat
If you're close enough to the deceased even to qualify for the compassion fare, why are you worrying about the 50% EQM's and lack of the 500-mi co.com booking bonus?
It was my sister in law aged 54 who died very suddenly. I am priest and all my travel on CO is on my $, and luckilly I made silver this year for only the 2nd time in 10 years. I am interested in flying and use CO as I am based in Houston but have family in UK. The possibility of an upgrade once in a while is something to look forward to. I raised the point as a matter of interest to this forum.

Last edited by flyingfriar; Oct 12, 2007 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
If getting 100% EQM and booking bonus are worth the 10% to you, then cancel the ticket and rebook online.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You can get the bereavement discount afterwards... that seems to be a good way to get around the EQM issue.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Come on, I think the question and the request is perfectly reasonable. Sometimes focusing on things like this is good for bereavement and not focusing on the tragedy. I would call Continental.com support and see if they can fix it to 100% EQM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rlbmorton
Come on, I think the question and the request is perfectly reasonable. Sometimes focusing on things like this is good for bereavement and not focusing on the tragedy. I would call Continental.com support and see if they can fix it to 100% EQM.
Only in this forum would it be considered reasonable. If it weren't for the arcane details, the OP's posting would probably show up in the "shocking but true" sections that many newspapers have in their online versions to generate eyeballs.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:08 am

Only in this forum would it be considered reasonable.
Maybe that's why OP posted in this forum and not on some bleeding heart online support group.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah DDS
Maybe that's why OP posted in this forum and not on some bleeding heart online support group.
Do you mean that this forum is the only one that would understand the arcane details OR that this forum is like an online version of Fox News?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
That sounds like CO all the way. The planes are full and they are in the drivers seat. They couldnt be more chinsey in your case
Old Oct 13, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
The whole bereavement thing exists only for PR reasons. The airline couldn't care less. On the day my mother died two years ago I paid for a first class ticket EWR-DFW, was denied boarding, treated like s**t by an evil b**ch at EWR, sat in the airport for hours and then in coach and never got a refund for the difference between first and coach. That experience pretty much eliminated the strong loyalty I had had to CO. Worrying about EQMs seems quite irrelevant during a time of grief.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by chasbondy
That sounds like CO all the way. The planes are full and they are in the drivers seat. They couldnt be more chinsey in your case
Really? They couldn't??? You don't think that they'd be more chinsey if they did away with the whole program entirely and let their ingrate customers fend for themselves? What are they supposed to do? They are an operating company. They give a "grieving" customer a fare at a much lower basis code than he could find himself probably at the last minute, then take 10% off it. In this case, that "grieving" customer is a vicar who says--basically--that it was just my 54-year-old sister-in-law, so that's why I'm not so broken up and have time to worry about EQMs.

If you read my other posts about CO, you will quickly realize that I am far from the typical CO apologist that frequently posts on this site. But the OP's question, IMHO, totally exceeded the bounds of good taste, that even I was taken aback.

If you don't like CO's chinsey bereavement policy, then buy your own seat in H class on their website and get 150% EQMs. Perhaps if more people close to you die, you might actually make Platinum before the year's out...
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Really? They couldn't???
Now, now...go easy on the boy. He spent a couple years here just whining about platinums and upgrades. Now he's branching out a bit, trying to contribute to the discussion, and testing the waters. Sure he gets in too deep once in a while. But the young lad will be a stronger man down the road. Cut the boy some slack.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by channa
Now, now...go easy on the boy. He spent a couple years here just whining about platinums and upgrades. Now he's branching out a bit, trying to contribute to the discussion, and testing the waters. Sure he gets in too deep once in a while. But the young lad will be a stronger man down the road. Cut the boy some slack.
About whom are you writing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.