Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Gold till 2009 on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
However, if I miss getting status because of this rule, the travel manager has the ability to get me the status anyway. All I have to do is call him and he'll give me what I would have earned anyway.
My company's travel dept can do this too, but they don't require us to open a new account...they simply upgrade your existing account. So, I am confused why the seller has to open a new account for the buyer.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by goingnow
If you read the guys info on the sale he states his company was given the status coupons FROM Delta to use for business purposes. Apparently Delta gave them an amount it felt comfortable offering as an incentive-which is "their business"/choice. I have absolutely no idea if they are commiting a crime or not by selling them. It's up to Delta whether or not they choose to honor the coupons they distributed, just like the grocery store does. Also, I hope that someone will send me the link to the rules of fairness you mentioned.
Consider that some other major airlines -do- give their sales reps, major travel agencies, or key passengers such coupons, and/or the ability to identify key high-mileage or high-revenue passengers that they would like to "convert" to flying them. Travel agencies and corp tvl depts do often have incentives enticing them to book higher volumes or revenue on carriers, hotel chains, cars, or cruise lines. (Can you say "Fam trip?")

Consider then that such passengers do not want to lose their top-tier status on Brand X, but would -certainly- try another airline's elite program if given the opportunity through status expiration of that year and get that level's bonus mileage and perks.
For CO, hey, once they see that they can get meals at mealtimes, pillows and blankets...not to mention standby upgrades without paying for them with miles or $$$..why SHOULDN'T they come to their senses, get hooked on CO, and join us?!

That is called Marketing.
---
Some elite programs allow a travel partner to be designated. Doubt that is this case.
---
The other way I can think of this occurring is that other brand's status challenge program over 3 months, and then use the match of status for non-Skyteam elites. Get 2nd level for 5K or Plat for 10K in flying by EQM? On 2 airlines? ... Put 2+2 together... I don't think one can match status more than once.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
[QUOTE

However, if I miss getting status because of this rule, the travel manager has the ability to get me the status anyway. All I have to do is call him and he'll give me what I would have earned anyway..[/QUOTE]

This is the most interesting fact reported in this thread. It explains whey CO continues to keep the lower elite earning for TA bookings. They infact will grant status to work around this with out making this publicly known to keep an incentive to book CO.com. Good to know.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: none
name on Gold card

Subject:
CO gold status
I know the bidding is over but...whose name can go on the card??
dbase
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT; CO Gold
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I seriously wonder where the "value" is to pay $355 for something like this.

Only if someone doesn't fly much at all this year - and plan to fly a lot next year. Or if one flies a lot, but all miles credited to NW or DL, and really want to switch real bad.

Otherwise, I don't see many reasons to pay this much for gold status.
It doesn't look like I'm going to requalify for Gold this year. I would gladly spend the $500 to continue to receive either exit row seatings or upgrades on every flight (so far, anyway -- knock on wood). Hell, the 25%->100% mileage bonus is worth a good chunk of that for the amount of traveling I tend to do.

There's a decent amount of air travel involved between 25,000 miles and 49,999, and I wouldn't think twice about spending $500 to keep my gold status. Obviously I don't fly enough to earn full status the honest way, but I do fly enough that it'll be pretty intolerable once it's gone.

Possibly that makes me a bad person. And I don't think I would bid on such an auction, because the expected value (discounting for the possibility of fraud and/or revocation) is so low. But I completely think it's worth $500.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:12 pm

Most of what I learned about this type of offer in the past always seemed to indicate you could not already have status on the airline. They want new flyers to come over...not for the status to be used to bump someone already flying the airline from Silver to Gold. That would be why the guy with Silver would need a new account....they won't apply it to an account that is already Elite.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Platinum For $1399

Is this the same guy selling Plat now?

EBAY LINK

Looks like lots of satisfied customers...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
BUy it now for the Plat at $1399

Damn ---this would be perfect to buy right before you and your gf took off for a year travelleing around the world.

I was just talking to dergon_gf yesterday saying I wished I could buy status up from gold to plat for Skyteam lounges
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by rankourabu

EBAY LINK

Well if this violates ebay or co's tos they know where to find him. He posted a company logo with a website www.theearlyairway.com

kinda stupid if you ask me
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
If it's been going for as long as this thread has been around, it's probably not bothering anyone enough for this guy to get shut down.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu

EBAY LINK

LOL, look:

"... basically, the chances that you will have to sit on coach even a single time between not and February of 2009 will be VERY rare...If there were to be a monetary value on this status, it would be several thousand as each one-way upgrade can be valued at about $1,000."

Wow, shameless.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Shameless but kinda close to being true if you're not based in a hub.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Shameless but kinda close to being true if you're not based in a hub.
Which do you find closer to the truth - not sitting in coach a single time, all year, or the upgrade costing $1000 OW?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.