splitting mileage in a divorce

Old Sep 15, 07, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onepass Platinum
splitting mileage in a divorce

My spouse and I currently have two separate Continental mileage accounts. Mine is attached to our mileage credit card, so it accrues mileage for all purchases and also when I fly. Her account only accrues mileage from travel. We're in the process of going through a fairly amicable divorce (no lawyers), and we're trying to figure out how to split the mileage.

She has 50,000 miles in her account, I have 150,000. Our state is a community property state, so she's entitled to half of what's in my account and I'm entitled to half of what's in hers. I was just going to give her 50,000 miles, because that would be half of my account minus half of hers (75000-25000). Then I started thinking that might not be fair, because our respective mileages came from different things, and maybe she deserves more. I'm just curious how other people may have handled their frequent flyer accounts when going through divorces, and that someone might be able to offer some advice.
Old Sep 15, 07, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
Why not assign a monetary value to each of the points holdings (like you may already be doing for furniture, vehicles, etc.), rather than move points around incurring transfer fees?
--
13F
Old Sep 15, 07, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=Divorce
Old Sep 15, 07, 12:12 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to flyer talk.

Amicable divorce is a new term for me!

I'd move what you deem a fair amount of miles to give your wife into an Amtrak account. Great selection of gift cards easily available which you could give to her and there are no fees at all. You need to establish the Amtrak account first and call Continental to move the miles but from start to gift card it only takes about 1 month.
Old Sep 15, 07, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
First of all, good for you for having an amicable divorce. I was SO fortunate that ex baglady did not ask me for any of my miles or points (which he would have been entitled to but since I found out he had diverted some funds and stole my baseball card collection, I don't think he would have dared!).

Giving her 50k miles seems more than fair. I would suggest, since the transfer rate is high and because you are having an amicable divorce, that you would offer to book the trip for her to save the fees.
Old Sep 15, 07, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
First of all, good for you for having an amicable divorce. I was SO fortunate that ex baglady did not ask me for any of my miles or points (which he would have been entitled to but since I found out he had diverted some funds and stole my baseball card collection, I don't think he would have dared!).

Giving her 50k miles seems more than fair. I would suggest, since the transfer rate is high and because you are having an amicable divorce, that you would offer to book the trip for her to save the fees.
You had a basebally card collection? I don't know too many ladies with one... are you still single?

---

To the OP: absolutely DO NOT transfer any miles using the airlines' "convenient" transfer feature. You will pay through the nose for the right.

As another poster suggested, assign a monetary value to the points, and give the ex-wife cash. You will need those miles to take your new girflriend to the Carribean/Hawaii/Paris in style...
Old Sep 15, 07, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onepass Platinum
Thanks everyone. This advice helps a lot. I think assigning a dollar amount to the points sounds like the best idea, but while the divorce is thus far amicable, she's being pretty hard-nosed about everything being split down the middle. I may not be able to convince her that buying out her miles is just as fair as giving her some. She may still insist on having her "half" just so she knows she has it. I guess I don't have a problem with that, as long as she's willing to comp me on any transfer fee.
Old Sep 15, 07, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>Then I started thinking that might not be fair, because our respective mileages came from different things, and maybe she deserves more>> ???, you must be kidding? I'm betting you're the first person on the planet who wants to dole out more in a divorce. If she pays half your credit card charges, maybe I could see splitting miles, but why even bring it up?, unless of course she gives you half of the diamond back? "Come on honey, you deserve more miles, please take them."
Old Sep 15, 07, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chasbondy View Post
>>Then I started thinking that might not be fair, because our respective mileages came from different things, and maybe she deserves more>> ???, you must be kidding? I'm betting you're the first person on the planet who wants to dole out more in a divorce. If she pays half your credit card charges, maybe I could see splitting miles, but why even bring it up?, unless of course she gives you half of the diamond back? "Come on honey, you deserve more miles, please take them."
Agree. Bizarre. Also, why can't you use the normal "quote" feature, ever?

OP, just get her an award for 50,000 miles, and save the transfer fees. Move on, you have other things to worry about.
Old Sep 17, 07, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post
You had a basebally card collection? I don't know too many ladies with one... are you still single?

---
Only child - pretty sure dad wanted a boy so I had a baseball/football/hockey/basketball collection from the time I was very, very young. He also took me to every imaginable sporting event. I'm pretty certain I know more about sports than my ex and current husband put together
Old Sep 17, 07, 7:32 am

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
OP, sorry for the breakup. I'm in a similar process (14 weeks into the process). DO NOT TRANSFER MILEAGE. You will end up with a redemption ratio of less than USD0.01 per mile.

The unwritten monetary value for the mileage sh'd be USD0.02 per mile. Mileage brokers buy it for about 1.2 to 1.3 pennies to the mile, but sell the awards at about 2.5 to 3 pennies to the mile. Once you tack on the transfer fees, you're going to pay thru your nose for a 50K mileage award. Just book an award and issue it on her name.

For all those who are thinking of burning miles, weigh your cost benefits of 2 pennies per mile versus buying the ticket outright. Best use of the mileage would be the upgrades.

Last edited by kkua; Sep 17, 07 at 7:38 am
Old Sep 17, 07, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta,United 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Call me callous but if the divorce settlement has gotten to the point of FF miles, it seems to me to be WAY past amicable. I would not even entertain the conversation with my soon to be ex......
Old Sep 17, 07, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Medic1 View Post
She has 50,000 miles in her account, I have 150,000.
How many miles did each of you have prior to getting married?

Our state is a community property state . . .
Are you residing in Texas?

Then I started thinking that might not be fair, because our respective mileages came from different things . . .
I'm not a divorce lawyer, but if the source for all of the miles is from community funds, then I don't see how the mileages came from "different things."
Old Sep 17, 07, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Jeez, makes me jealous. I had to argue about a $15.00 co-pay with my ex- from HER doctor appointment, but I was carrying the insurance so they held me liable.
Old Sep 17, 07, 11:25 am

Why not agree how many flights the milies represent and then get some rewards going (to doffenert destinations of course) whne the divoirce is settled.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: