Community
Wiki Posts
Search

splitting mileage in a divorce

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Since your divorce is amicable, have you asked her what she thinks? Does she want the miles?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
When I got divorced back in the 1993-94 time frame, my ex wife wanted both my AA miles and the dog. At the time I had 300K AA and she had about 500K UA. Note I did not ask for any of her miles.

I thought about it, and decided that the dog was more important to me than the miles. Since I was going to be alone, and my ex had her family (plus her mom had a dog), I decided to fight for the dog.

In the end, I gave her 100K AA miles, and I got the dog. It turned out to be the best deal ever, because the dog lived to be 17 and only left us this past March, and when I remarried, my stepdaughter and dog bonded immediately. The dog had a great life, and enhanced ours in more ways than I could ever say. We miss her to this day and have not as yet replaced her.

So all I would say is think about what's really important, if applicable in your case, and if as you say this is amicable, do what you feel is right and see if you can agree on it.

Remember you can always replace miles....
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:31 pm
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Agree. Bizarre. Also, why can't you use the normal "quote" feature, ever?
proper quotes or not, chasbondy's posts are usually pretty entertaining.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Just out of curiosity, can the OP indicate what is leading him to believe that the FF miles are "property" subject to distribution via divorce in the first place?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by dme
proper quotes or not, chasbondy's posts are usually pretty entertaining.
I totally agree
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:15 pm
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
see what I mean?

never a dull moment with chasb.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:39 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by jgcii
Call me callous but if the divorce settlement has gotten to the point of FF miles, it seems to me to be WAY past amicable. I would not even entertain the conversation with my soon to be ex......
Nail, Head.

Been there, done that. As a man you don 't stand a chance when it comes to getting child custody, but FF miles? Now we're getting serious.

Gently mention to your wife that she should probably leave the FF thing alone because if for some reason this thing goes to court you'd hate for the judge to think she was a greedy b****.

Not to imply anything about her, just a good angle.

Worked for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.