Presidents Club Rates Increasing

 
Old Jul 31, 07, 11:31 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 34,984
Presidents Club Rates Increasing

Just received an email...

A Presidents Club® update.

On Oct. 1, 2007, the price of a Presidents Club membership will increase. Apply today at our current rates and enjoy all the benefits a Presidents Club membership has to offer.


The link takes you to the purchase page with the current prices, but no mention of how much they're increasing by...
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 12:57 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Napa, CA
Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 5,695
Never mind--the link is in the e-mail and takes you to the standard PC enrollment page.

And I just got mine...good thing...

Last edited by me4yankees; Jul 31, 07 at 1:12 pm
me4yankees is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 1:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,931
COInsider-Is there any way to find out if the lifetime rates are going up?
ctownflyer is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 2:05 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,955
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Just received an email...

A Presidents Club® update.

On Oct. 1, 2007, the price of a Presidents Club membership will increase. Apply today at our current rates and enjoy all the benefits a Presidents Club membership has to offer.


The link takes you to the purchase page with the current prices, but no mention of how much they're increasing by...
That's lame. To semi-announce a price increase and not provide details of the increase. What's the incentive to buy now?
otralot is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 2:16 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Grazie Gold Lounge
Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Posts: 10,331
can y'all stop drinking so much of the booze?
kingalien is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 2:29 pm
  #6  
Moderator: United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Posts: 8,905
Originally Posted by kingalien View Post
can y'all stop drinking so much of the booze?
No.

J.Edward is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 2:48 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 34,984
Originally Posted by otralot View Post
That's lame. To semi-announce a price increase and not provide details of the increase. What's the incentive to buy now?
I agree, and it's the first thing I noticed in the announcement. This smacks of rather unsavory marketing tactics. Announce a price-increase to get people to sign up in a hurry, while failing to announce the actual increase, which could end up being something like $5 or $10.

Aren't tactics like this the reason why 'going out of business' sales by stores not actually going out of business were banned?
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 3:03 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 31,403
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
No.

Seconded, by a habitual offender

I plan to recoup the cost of the unspecified price increase this weekend at the IAH and AUS PCs...no matter what the increase, I can cover it
Anglo Large Clawed Otter is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 3:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC: UA 1K, DL Platinum, AAirpass, Avis PC
Posts: 4,579
I hate to say it, but ^. The hub clubs are just too crowded, and while I don't think the goal is to reduce attendance, they have the leverage to pull in some more revenue, so go for it.
cerealmarketer is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 3:25 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: EWR
Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Posts: 532
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer View Post
I hate to say it, but ^. The hub clubs are just too crowded, and while I don't think the goal is to reduce attendance, they have the leverage to pull in some more revenue, so go for it.
I agree. I was in one of the IAH PCs a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday evening (I forget which one, not E though) and it was insane in there. There was a long line to enter and the line for the bar was at least 20-25 people long. You could barely walk around, never mind finding a single seat.

I wonder what % of people are actual PC members vs. people who enter through other methods (AMEX Plat, etc.) at any given time. Not saying those people don't have a right to be there at all, just wondering what the breakdown is and if there is something that can be done when a PC reaches that point.
dmbfan222 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 3:31 pm
  #11  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 8,287
The C in PC Stands for Catatonia

Originally Posted by kingalien View Post
can y'all stop drinking so much of the booze?
Stop drinking?! Never! Aside from the booze, there's no reason to enter these coma-inducing libraries-cum-lounges.
RNE is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 4:10 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Grazie Gold Lounge
Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Posts: 10,331
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
No.

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter View Post
Seconded, by a habitual offender

I plan to recoup the cost of the unspecified price increase this weekend at the IAH and AUS PCs...no matter what the increase, I can cover it
Actually I should have prefaced my post by indicating J.Edward and Anglo Large Clawed Otter need not reply as I think we all knew what your answers would have been anyway .
kingalien is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 4:49 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: CO Platinum,AA GOLD,HiltonHHonors Diamond,Marriott Premier Platinum,National Executive Elite
Posts: 342
A rate increase to get some cheese and crackers, a 10MB wireless connection and a measured shot. Continental needs to get a grip
njshawn is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 5:05 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 34,984
Originally Posted by njshawn View Post
A rate increase to get some cheese and crackers, a 10MB wireless connection and a measured shot. Continental needs to get a grip
In a way, I must agree. After visiting the DTW WorldClubs (I tried out two different locations), the environment and amenities really put the PClub to shame, and I don't even drink alcohol so it wasn't the open bar concept that caught my attention.

I will likely buy a PClub membership because my Plat status gives me a discount, but given the choice between entering the PClub, CRC or WC at the same airport, I would choose the WC, then CRC before the PClub.

Yes, I know these are domestic lounges and they can't be compared to the offerings from some of the world's great global airlines, but there are small things that could really improve the experience.

* Shrink the bar and install a self-serve soft drink/juice/water station
* Use some of the reclaimed bar space to add a hot-food commissary - breakfast sandwiches, warm lunch&dinner sandwiches, cold salads, afternoon hors dourves, etc. for a flat, but profitable fee
* Keep the complimentary alcohol, but offer top-shelf liquor and expand the high-quality wine list for a fee
* Add to the comp food options like baked cookies in the afternoon and cold cereal or hot oatmeal in the morning
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 31, 07, 5:13 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 13,706
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I agree, and it's the first thing I noticed in the announcement. This smacks of rather unsavory marketing tactics. Announce a price-increase to get people to sign up in a hurry, while failing to announce the actual increase, which could end up being something like $5 or $10.

Aren't tactics like this the reason why 'going out of business' sales by stores not actually going out of business were banned?
Maybe Scott heard my plea earlier this year! I agree that there are way too many people in the PC at peak times--it's time to chase some people out!

Have either NW or DL announced an increase? If they haven't, then the price isn't increasing at all--I mean, all one has to do is to buy a membership with the Crown Room or WorldClubs.
ContinentalFan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: