Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidents Club Rates Increasing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:12 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
The prices have not gone up in a VERY long time..
Did they not raise rates around this time last year?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Did they not raise rates around this time last year?
Yes.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
The prices have not gone up in a VERY long time..CO needs to raise PC membership fees to cover the cost of doing business..You have to admit President`s Club is a huge value over basically All other airlines..CO President`s Club provides Complementary Booze and Complementary WI-FI and charges less than other clubs..In all fairness a Fee Increase is acceptable..UA,AA,DL,US basically charge more..then when you get there..they charge you for Booze and charge you for WI-FI..even with a fee increase,CO is still the best bargain! ^
I agree completely. At $275 for Platinum and $375 for general public, even at only ten visits per year, that is $27.50 to $37.50 per visit, and I venture most who sign up use the facilitities far more than 10 times per year. I average 4 beers per visit in my 20 or more visits a year. A $50 a year increase would seem very reasonable, perhaps more. If the facilities are as crowded as some suggest, and I seldom find them that crowded, then the price must represent an excellent value, and an increase would seem to just be good business policy.

In this trip report, (http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707259) in the EWR section of the first post, the writer makes this comment about the Lufthansa / SAS facility "Unfortunately there was no free wifi, but rather you had to pay for it. Can anyone say glorified Red Carpet Club?" My experience at the KLM Houston facility, which is very small is the same. In AMS, the KLM food selection was enhanced, but not to the point that if I wanted something substantial I would not have gone to an outside restaurant. I left the KLM Houston facility and went to the PC.

The suggestion for an enhanced facility, perhaps at EWR and IAH for BF might make sense, like United used to have at EWR. At the other facilities, leave it the way it is.

P.S. In AMS, they did offer "free" internet access at 5 PC's for 30 minutes, but it took three trips to find one available. Wireless acces was 16 Euros, over $20.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
DL does have at it main hubs - ATL, CVG, JFK - separate BE lounges - that offer great food items - like meal. The BE Lounge in ATL is very large - as large as the biggest CRC and is great. Only thing is the only shower is in term E CRC - none in the BE lounge. Lots of fancy food, Champagne, etc. is hosted in the BE lounge.

Right now CO does not really have the space at the terminals to add/expand the lounges. It just seems that half the people flying have access and it becomes a loud busy atmosphere.

Back when CO only had one lounge in IAH - near the Term C security area - up the elevator - it was much more exclusive and less crowded.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
With respect to those who reccommend raising the price of membership to reduce congestion in the clubs, in my opinion, CO would have to raise the price at least $400 per year to have any material impact on traffic. Add to that the passengers with partner lounge membership and Amex Plat access, and it becomes apparent that there is no easy way to reduce congestion.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
It would be fine by me if they axed the Amex Plat lounge access, as I'm sure that would cut down on a substantial amount of the riff-raff. However, I'm betting they make a tidy profit off all those Amex Plat users...
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
It would be fine by me if they axed the Amex Plat lounge access, as I'm sure that would cut down on a substantial amount of the riff-raff. However, I'm betting they make a tidy profit off all those Amex Plat users...
Yep - I cannot see CO ever forgoing that Amex Plat revenue.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I'm Riff-Raff

I'm one of those Amex Riff Raffs. But if anyone is going to be called riff-raff, it should be those that sign up for the Presidents Plus card from Chase/CO.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 4:31 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
[I]f they axed the Amex Plat lounge access ... I'm sure that would cut down on a substantial amount of the riff-raff.
I was going to post "I'll bet them's gonna be fightin words" a few minutes ago but my net went down momentarily. Looks like they already are
Old Aug 1, 2007, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by MilesDavis
I wonder if it would work for CO to create an additional, more exclusive club level with further restricted access? I mean, cater to the Plats (and 'above'), no lower level riff raff, no companions, no Amex, that kind of thing. Perhaps an additional floor level or part of a floor - for starters at CO term E. I think that makes more sense than totally changing the entire program.
I like this concept. I'd still like to see guests, but the concept is a great one.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by primedude
Right now the primary (sole?) reason I carry an Amex plat is lounge access. If not for that, I'd just buy a PC membership. So maybe eliminating that path to access would do something to decrease crowds, but on the other hand, it very well might not.
If the action didn't decrease the throngs in the Club, it would be good evidence that the price point is too low.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:06 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The link takes you to the purchase page with the current prices, but no mention of how much they're increasing by...
Hi bocastephen, the rates will increase by various increments depending on the membership interval and the membership type (i.e. OnePass membership level). Below is a brief overview of the price increases:
  • Annual: $25 increase for all membership types
  • Annual with Spouse: $40-60 increase
  • Three-Year: $65-75 increase
  • Three-Year with Spouse: $115-200 increase
  • Lifetime: $410-485 increase
  • Lifetime with Spouse: $590-630 increase
  • Senior Lifetime: $305-390 increase
  • Senior Lifetime with Spouse: $495-580 increase
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I hate to say it, but ^. The hub clubs are just too crowded, and while I don't think the goal is to reduce attendance, they have the leverage to pull in some more revenue, so go for it.
A very strong increase in enrollment was the main reason for our decision to raise the membership rates.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Maybe Scott heard my plea earlier this year!
Are you sure you want us to give you credit for this one, ContinentalFan??

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
But if anyone is going to be called riff-raff, it should be those that sign up for the Presidents Plus card from Chase/CO.
Okay, so this is would be as good a time as any to plug our Continental Airlines Presidential Plus MasterCard, which among other benefits includes a full Presidents Club membership. The $375 annual fee for this card will not be subject to these rate increases, and if you go to this link, new cardmembers can get the first year for $300.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm not sure that this is... public info, but I'd be curious as to how many people are members..
I'd wager on the order of 1-200,000.
Most elites, some general members, minus amex plats.

I like the idea of a "Platinum President's Level", they could do it for BizFirst and platinums would be allowed to buy in. Less people... real food, the high quality alcohol.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by MilesDavis
I wonder if it would work for CO to create an additional, more exclusive club level with further restricted access? I mean, cater to the Plats (and 'above'), no lower level riff raff, no companions, no Amex, that kind of thing. Perhaps an additional floor level or part of a floor - for starters at CO term E. I think that makes more sense than totally changing the entire program.
KLM has different level clubs in Amsterdam, always confusing as to which club i could use, depending on fare and also P. club membership. Dutch lady gatekeepers are not the most gracious and helpful - snarlll - you don't belong here, go down the hall to the low class club where you belong

I prefer the P Clubs
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I guessing it may be too much of a hassle to have some PCs at the hubs be dedicated solely for PC members @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.