Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Transcon first class catering and equipment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Having traveled the Business First product, as well as First domestically on the east coast, I was wondering what to expect on CO in first on EWR-SFO and LAX-EWR transcons for breakfast and lunch, respectively.

On another note, I made my reservations specifically EWR-SFO on the one and only 757-200 service of the day, but just as I expected, it was quickly adjusted to 737-800 service....so much for the Business First seating hopes.....LAX-EWR, I am presently confirmed on one of the 2 per day 757-200 flights. I am hoping that they will not change equipment on that one, too. Any input as to this occurrence, historically?

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by conquistador74; Jul 22, 2007 at 3:19 pm
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FT!

I'm a little surprised to see the 752 pulled off the SFO run, as I'd think that CO would want to try to compete with Virgin America, but who knows. On the LAX run I don't think that they have an equipment swap all that often, as they need to get the planes through the system to maintain the TATL flights out of EWR. ANd managing that rerouting for a one-off is a royal pain.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome and for the prompt reply! I have been enjoying FT for some time, but decided that my questions and comments would have to begin sometime!

I am surprised about the 757 EWR-SFO, too.....It really stinks to have to fly on a 737 of any kind trans-continental. Thankfully, I will be traveling in first with my wife, but our friends will be in the back. I am cautiously hoping that they may have another change of equipment as my trip isn't until after the new year...considering Virgin America's upcoming entry into the market.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Equipment on EWR-SFO is asymmetrical.

EWR->SFO, there are one 752, one 753 and the rest 738s for most days of the week.

SFO->EWR, there are TWO 752s, one 753, and the rest 738s for most days.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by conquistador74
Having traveled the Business First product, as well as First domestically on the east coast, I was wondering what to expect on CO in first on EWR-SFO and LAX-EWR transcons for breakfast and lunch, respectively.

On another note, I made my reservations specifically EWR-SFO on the one and only 757-200 service of the day, but just as I expected, it was quickly adjusted to 737-800 service....so much for the Business First seating hopes.....LAX-EWR, I am presently confirmed on one of the 2 per day 757-200 flights. I am hoping that they will not change equipment on that one, too. Any input as to this occurrence, historically?

Thanks for your advice!
On this particular route, expect an upgraded meal that is similar to what CO serves on international BusinessFirst flights. You will have 4 entree choices and on dinner flights, made to order sundaes are offered. Enjoy!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: CO Plat
what to expect on CO in first on EWR-SFO and LAX-EWR transcons for breakfast and lunch, respectively.
EWR-SFO breakfast - Expect a fruit plate and your choice of one of two hot entrees (omelet, french toast, etc.) Also your choice of breads and sometimes muffins.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
The transcon breakfast menu also touts mimosas and/or sparkling wine, but on my recent EWR - SAN flight, they said the caterer "neglected" to give them the bubbly. Thanks alot, guys . . .
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Does CO consider these routes transcon?
1.IAH-PDX
2.IAH-SEA
3.IAH-ANC
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
1.IAH-PDX
2.IAH-SEA
3.IAH-ANC
No.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1.IAH-PDX
2.IAH-SEA
3.IAH-ANC
Nothing from IAH is transcon. It would be geographically impossible.
Transcon is a nonstop flight from a state that borders the Atlantic Ocean to a state/province that borders the Pacific Ocean. On CO, it's basically EWR-YVR/SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX/SNA/SAN/SJC. I think I got them all.

I do wonder though if flights like EWR - Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco get transcon service.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Transcon is a nonstop flight from a state that borders the Atlantic Ocean to a state/province that borders the Pacific Ocean.
I thought transcontinental meant passing accross a continent. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transcontinental
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I thought transcontinental meant passing accross a continent. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/transcontinental
In airline parlance a transatlantic flight is one that crosses the Atlantic, a transpacific flight is one that crosses the Pacific while a transcon is one that crosses the North American continent.

It is used as a synonym for a coast-to-coast flight...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.....FWIW, I had a friend recently on PVR-EWR and although the ticket noted "business first", the equipment was a 737 and catering did not reflect a business first product.

As a sidenote, EWR-SFO seems to be migrating to all 737-800 service from November on...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Thanks for the responses.....FWIW, I had a friend recently on PVR-EWR and although the ticket noted "business first", the equipment was a 737 and catering did not reflect a business first product.

As a sidenote, EWR-SFO seems to be migrating to all 737-800 service from November on...
Northern Latin America is served on 737's with an approximation of full BF service.

This is a more elaborate service than you will receive on transcon, though.

Regarding EWR-SFO, there are seasonal adjustments regarding the use of equipment, although I would imagine we will be seeing exclusively 737's as CO acquires more of these.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:38 pm

It would be nice if CO did something like United did with their P.S. product in regards to premium seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.