Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is Larry Kellner's pre-flight video Orwellian?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2007, 6:50 am
RNE
Original Poster

How do you characterize the Chairman's mug plastered upon multiple "telescreens" overhead as he lauds "the state" of Continental? Do tell.

I know it's a TOS violation to talk about anything intellectual here, but I couldn't resist elevating the discussion...not that the usual fare ("Where are my miles?...", "How far is EWR from Steubenville?...", "Why wasn't I upgraded?...) isn't captivating, mind you.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by RNE
How do you characterize the Chairman's mug plastered upon multiple "telescreens" overhead as he lauds "the state" of Continental? Do tell.

I know it's a TOS violation to talk about anything intellectual here, but I couldn't resist elevating the discussion...not that the usual fare ("Where are my miles?...", "How far is EWR from Steubenville?...", "Why wasn't I upgraded?...) isn't captivating, mind you.
Actually, it's more Disneyesque. It's those Chipmunk Cheeks.

Sorry - I couldn't resist
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
There is something decidedly unOrwellian about an accountant, even a ubiquitous accountant...

If only we could replace Kellner with Chavon, mmmmmmmm......
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RNE

I think its paranoia to think that Larry's video is anything but simple basic marketing. Make us think the CEO really cares about our experience.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by keisari
I think its paranoia to think that Larry's video is anything but simple basic marketing. Make us think the CEO really cares about our experience.
Yes, but where is Chavon and is she all right? She just disappeared, never to be heard from again. What happened there? Plus, Larry has a bunker, a bunker I tell you!! Something is up.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Yes, but where is Chavon and is she all right? She just disappeared, never to be heard from again. What happened there? Plus, Larry has a bunker, a bunker I tell you!! Something is up.
DHS has information it considers quite reliable that Larry K has Chavon holed up in the bunker, which explains why Chavon has disappeared...
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I apologize for my ignorance, but who is Chavon and when did she disappear?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

O! Woe upon ye who ignore the exquisiteness of Chavon...

She is a CO flight attendant based at EWR, I believe she is of Spanish Carribean heritage. In the older version of the security video she appeared in one of the sequences. In addition to being what you might call mysteriously and beguilingly beautiful, she had this delicious slight lisp...mmmmmmm that lisp...
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by RNE

Good morning RNE,

I am much more interested to understand what you mean with that part of your post, especially with the first part of your first sentence...
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
If you start talking like that, they're going to get you too. If you see any strange cars parked in your neighborhood, hide. This is bigger than you can imagine.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta,United 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
There is something decidedly unOrwellian about an accountant, even a ubiquitous accountant...

If only we could replace Kellner with Chavon, mmmmmmmm......
Or better yet Hugo Chavez!!

<duck>
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Yes, but where is Chavon and is she all right?
Chavon?! While watching the 787 unveiling just the other day -- where they had one FA present from each ordering airline -- I asked the fabulous Mrs. Xyzzy whether she thought they had chosen Chavon to be the CO representative
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Larry's Welcome

In the original version Larry looked as stiff as a board

So they sent him to charm school and did another take

He still seems a bit uncomfortable but is very gracious

Good ol Gordy just oozed charm & confidence

We all miss him

Chic
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
How did this escape the Penalty Box? It's the bastion of highbrow intellectual discourse on the CO Forum
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:49 pm

Yeah, but last time I payed attention to the thing, he still is waving his arms (on his lap) every time he opens his mouth, almost like a puppet. It's amusing to watch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.