Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by sbm12
I have a few rather entertaining (at least to me) stories from 10 years ago and my visit to Nice and Monaco. I have no idea where we stayed but it was certainly on the budget side of the spectrum and I'm sure it was fine. Honestly, I don't pay too much mind to the hotels where I stay; I'm not there for the hotel.

First fun story was dinner in Nice. There is a farmers' market in the mornings on the main plaza just inland from the ocean downtown. In the evening that same area is hosed down and then a bunch of tables and chairs set up and the restaurants along the sides of the plaza have al fresco dining. Sure, they are targeting tourists, but it was cheap and all we wanted were some bowls of moules anyways. We ordered the prix fixe menu that included a glass of wine, moules, frites and a dessert. When the waitress came around to get our dessert order I just ordered another bowl of moules as my dessert. She was very confused. Eventually I had my two chocolate mousses (they weren't very good, as I recall) but the scene of trying to explain that I wanted more food rather than dessert still stands out in my mind as an entertaining one.

Second fun thing we did was the ride from Nice to Monaco. We rented mopeds that day and took the coastal road. It was a 45-60 minute ride and it was ridiculously beautiful. Just amazing. We tooled around through Monte Carlo for a few minutes and made our way back up a hill and then looped around to come back into town. It was at this point that we were pulled over by the border patrol. Apparently my decision to take off my shirt and get some sun while riding around was a bad one. By the end of the 15 minutes we spent with the border patrol we were taking photos together and the guy working there was trying to pimp out the woman to me and my buddies.

I realize that neither of these is likely at all useful to you, but why should that stop me from sharing?

^^

Very useful, in fact, by the absence of statements such as "Nice is a hellhole, I'd rather go to Lock Haven, PA"

It looks like the beaches aren't as nice in Nice as they are in Cannes or St Trop. I'm not really up for overpaying for a hotel or dinners in St Trop, although I'm more than happy to rent a few beach chairs at Nikki Beach or Tahiti and watch the people go by. I'm thinking maybe of staying in Cannes and doing day trips to the other cities.

Now if only CO would open up saverpass BF seats to Milan so that I wouldn't have to deal with a connection in CD
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: UA and HH
Im in for a polo. Or maybe the few of us that bought CO polos at the DO could get a and our FT handle put on those shirts?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by photog72
Well, it is official. I am out of a job. My position was eliminated. Along with at least 3 others at my station. I'll let it sink in for a day, then start the search. Thanks for the well wishes. I didn't even have an appetite for dinner. I DVRd Conan, but don't have any inclination to watch any tv. Former co-workers on FB have been supportive.

Good night.
Sorry to hear about this photog72. Keep us posted.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by gbryan84
Im in for a polo. Or maybe the few of us that bought CO polos at the DO could get a and our FT handle put on those shirts?
The Box transcends CO. Just like the Presidency is greater than any one man.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:14 am

I need some advice on which positioning flights I should choose for my SEA-NRT B fare trip. Right now there's direct flights from BOS on Alaska for $350 and on Jetblue for $410. Flight times are essentially identical. As far as I can tell the advantages are:

JetBlue:
More legroom
Free snacks
TV/XM radio for the transcon

Alaska:
EQMs for CO million miler status (don't need them to requalify this year)
Cheaper by $60

Anything I'm missing? I don't really collect B6 points so I doubt I'd ever see any redemptions out of them.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Conan's first show tonight... I wonder if he'll be as good as Leno?
Len

Cnan was good. Hooray for something good to watch at 11:30!

Originally Posted by photog72
Well, it is official. I am out of a job. My position was eliminated. Along with at least 3 others at my station. I'll let it sink in for a day, then start the search. Thanks for the well wishes. I didn't even have an appetite for dinner. I DVRd Conan, but don't have any inclination to watch any tv. Former co-workers on FB have been supportive.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by COFlyerCLE
Sorry to hear about this photog72. Keep us posted.
COFlyerCLE, are you at home at all during the week over the summer? I was planning on putting the signal out should I be in CLE for the new job. The usual CLE suspects will be so alerted as well, as soon as I have an idea of when I'll be there.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I need some advice on which positioning flights I should choose for my SEA-NRT B fare trip. Right now there's direct flights from BOS on Alaska for $350 and on Jetblue for $410. Flight times are essentially identical. As far as I can tell the advantages are:

JetBlue:
More legroom
Free snacks

Alaska:
Cheaper by $60

Anything I'm missing? I don't really collect B6 points so I doubt I'd ever see any redemptions out of them.
May as well save $60 -- am surprised that B6 is not cheaper. Go for the EQMs!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lurker1999

JetBlue:
More legroom
Free snacks

Alaska:
Cheaper by $60

I think you answered your own question. You're paying less to accrue value in something that you care about more, and that something has the side benefit of pursuing something for life, as opposed to TrueBlue and their crappy 12-month rule.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My 3-day B&N shipping got turned into less than 36 hours. ^ By sheer luck I picked seven different titles that were all residing in their New Jersey warehouse. It's a pain when I have to wait for books to come from Sparks, Nevada.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Very useful, in fact, by the absence of statements such as "Nice is a hellhole, I'd rather go to Lock Haven, PA"

It looks like the beaches aren't as nice in Nice as they are in Cannes or St Trop. I'm not really up for overpaying for a hotel or dinners in St Trop, although I'm more than happy to rent a few beach chairs at Nikki Beach or Tahiti and watch the people go by. I'm thinking maybe of staying in Cannes and doing day trips to the other cities.

Now if only CO would open up saverpass BF seats to Milan so that I wouldn't have to deal with a connection in CD
The beach in Nice (I only remember one right on the water there in town) was not particularly nice at all. We sat out there for an afternoon to relax but it was all stones, not sand, and they were rather large and uncomfortable.

As for staging yourself, the cities along the coast are all ~45 minutes apart as I recall so be careful about staging at one end versus in the middle; it would make for a long and not particularly relaxing day if you're doing 2+ hours of commuting at either end.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
COFlyerCLE, are you at home at all during the week over the summer? I was planning on putting the signal out should I be in CLE for the new job. The usual CLE suspects will be so alerted as well, as soon as I have an idea of when I'll be there.
Hey there ConciergeMike! Most weeks I am home on Fridays - getting in around midnight on Thursday night. Of course, that can change at any time, and I would imagine that I can occasionally manage a Thursday at home as well.

Not sure how things will really shape up this summer, as this Ft. Worth project phase goes through July 31, and the next phase could start up right after that... and they are also trying to get me half-time on a project in BOS - which isn't really very close to DFW - so I'm not sure how that will work out...

Definitely let me know when you'll be in CLE, and if I'm in town, we can absolutely get together!

J
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

TrueBlue and their crappy 12-month rule.
This is going to go away in TB2. I posted about it over in the B6 forum last night. They are going to change it so that you keep your points as long as you fly once a year, though the rest of the program isn't going to get any better so that isn't really all that much of a benefit.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by mnmag
You sure you don't have a 'virtual' wife somewhere?! --
Virtual GF in YVR land count? At least she know has free phone calls to here from the office with their new phone system (she calls before work)

Sorry that I missed meeting MWG25, as someone mentioned that they get her handle & mine a bit confused, due the fact that they both begin w/a M!
I've been having problems with Toastmasters for years with simular name. One other member has a simular first name but an "o" instead of and "e" and a longer version of my last name and he looks and sounds like Woody Allan (the person on the right in this photo )and I look like Peter Brady. So why do people constantly confuse us?

Originally Posted by kingalien
Need to get some work done today instead of being on AM.
I need to play with that today. I was up late last night when after I remembered I had a bunch of planes ordered days ago and need to put them into service. Them sitting around for a few days cost me some money.

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I had no idea that Scotland had this!! I didn't even know they still used their canals.

That will be one of my first stops there, whenever I go.
It is the coolest thing. I should find my photos of it when I was there for a event 2003 and put them on-line. It was a great place to end my first trip to the UK. It was strange to see the sun set at around 11 PM up there.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:38 am

May as well save $60 -- am surprised that B6 is not cheaper. Go for the EQMs!
I think you answered your own question. You're paying less to accrue value in something that you care about more, and that something has the side benefit of pursuing something for life, as opposed to TrueBlue and their crappy 12-month rule.
I put it on 24 hour hold at the AS website. It's unlikely but just on the off-chance that one of the other non-stops goes even lower I'll change the itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.