Ewr-yyz-hkg

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Yyz-ewr-hkg

I'm going to be doing this route for the first time on Tuesday, as I normally fly directly YYZ-HKG by CX, but due to a seriously discounted fare I'm giving this a shot. I have a few questions:

1. Is a 2 hour connection at EWR for my flight to HKG enough (arriving in Terminal C, departing from Termial C) and are my bags checked directly through to HKG? Also, are flights from YYZ to EWR routinely late?

2. Is a 3 hour connection on the way back from HKG enough to make my flight in Terminal B back to YYZ? (Arriving from Terminal C, clearing immigration, picking up bags, dropping them off again, etc.) I'm a Canadian citizen, if that helps with anything. (Returning on August 2)

3. When logging on to the CO site and looking at the seat maps, it appears that all seats but 2 or 3 are occupied, and they are seats I do not want- will more open up at check-in? (I plan to check in 24 hours early online)

4. What are these "Premium Seats"? Is there anyway to get them if I have no status?

Thanks for your time...

Last edited by hongkongtraveller; Jun 28, 2007 at 10:34 pm
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Sorry- Embarassingly enough I made a mistake on the title- it should obivously be YYZ-EWR-HKG
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
1.Well a 2 hour connection can be OK. Just hope there are not to many delays as you will have to go back into security because you are entering EWR internationally as well as clear customs.
2. 3 hours is more than enough time.
3. More tend to open up when it comes time for OLCI(seats that were being held).
4. Premium seats are for elites only and their familes. At the 24hour mark if their are any left, non-elites can claim them.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
1. You preclear US customs and immigration at YYZ, so no need to go through anything at EWR. Just walk over to new gate. 2 hours is fine.

2. CO98 HKG-EWR now arrives at Terminal B. Immigration and customs pretty quick. Recheck bags, then take Airtrain to Terminal C and reclear security. CO98 usually departs HKG relatively on-time. Only delay will be due to weather at/around EWR. 3 hours is way more than enough.

3. Do not wait until OLCI. At around the 48 hour mark or slightly before, these rows will open up: 17DEF, 36-37 (whole rows), and perhaps 45DEF. Grab one of those at that time.

At OLCI, you can then grab any open seat in any section.

4. Nothing special about the "premium" seats, except Row 17-23 have Empower on 18 of the 20 772s. On the two new ones, all rows have 110V power.

---

Edit: The 7/3 flight is fully booked. Likely to be overbooked too. Make sure to check the seatmaps on Sat or Sunday to get a seat in those newly open rows, or you will sit in the middle.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jun 28, 2007 at 11:23 pm
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:39 pm

Take Cx!!!

I've flown both CO and CX many times. The hassle to connect via EWR....is not worth it. CX is a far superior airline than CO! I hope you're savings are big enough, or you want the frequent flyer mileage? Cathay Pacific is better!
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
[QUOTE=hongkongtraveller;7975416]I'm going to be doing this route for the first time on Tuesday, as I normally fly directly YYZ-HKG by CX, but due to a seriously discounted fare I'm giving this a shot. I have a few questions:

1. Is a 2 hour connection at EWR for my flight to HKG enough (arriving in Terminal C, departing from Termial C) and are my bags checked directly through to HKG? Also, are flights from YYZ to EWR routinely late?

Anything over 45 minutes should generally work, since you've already cleared customs in YYZ, and you're merely connecting inside the terminal, post-security. You should be able to find on-time arrival performance on continental.com, but it seems to have disappeared and there's a footnote on the page saying to call Continental to get on-time arrival stats. Hmm. But in my days of commuting YUL-YYZ, a similar route, I'd say it would be rare to be late over an hour.

2. Is a 3 hour connection on the way back from HKG enough to make my flight in Terminal B back to YYZ? (Arriving from Terminal C, clearing immigration, picking up bags, dropping them off again, etc.) I'm a Canadian citizen, if that helps with anything. (Returning on August 2)
Should be more than enough. Not sure why your flight back to YYZ is from Terminal B (unless you are flying out on NW or AC). Anyway, whether it's C to C or C to B makes little difference; it takes 5 minutes by walking or monorail to go between the terminals. One hour should be more than enough to clear immigration, pick up your bags, clear customs, and then drop the bags off (I assume you'll have them checked all the way through to YYZ).

3. When logging on to the CO site and looking at the seat maps, it appears that all seats but 2 or 3 are occupied, and they are seats I do not want- will more open up at check-in? (I plan to check in 24 hours early online)
Generally yes, especially since as a non-elite you don't have access to any of the "Premium Seats" (qv below).

4. What are these "Premium Seats"? Is there anyway to get them if I have no status?
They are basically the exit rows and the front n rows of seats. On many aircraft such as 777s, rows 16-22 have the emPower adaptors in the seats (at least until they get around to fitting all Y seats with the new IFE with the AVOD and the normal 110V power sockets, starting with TATL 757s). There may or may not be an inch or two more legroom. Basically, these get segregated for elite passengers so that and the power adapter are the "perk" here although it's little to speak of.

But they do put anyone and everyone in them once the plane starts filling up in the non-premium-seat section. May not hurt to call and see if you can get that seat ... tell them you need to use your laptop and according to seatguru.com only rows 16 through 22 have the power adaptors.

Thanks for your time...
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like I said in my reply, Empower rows are 17-23. No power in row 16.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:50 am
Original Poster

I logged into the CO website just now and the seats that a poster above are mostly available, such as the full rows of 36 and 37. But I want to know, why does the system reject my choice when I choose Seat 36A? It's shown as available and yet doesn't let me pick it... I'm not impressed by this.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller
I logged into the CO website just now and the seats that a poster above are mostly available, such as the full rows of 36 and 37. But I want to know, why does the system reject my choice when I choose Seat 36A? It's shown as available and yet doesn't let me pick it... I'm not impressed by this.
Sometimes they'll set a threshold that if only a certain number of seats are unassigned, they won't let people choose it.

I'll call the continental.com support line at 800-300-1547 ASAP to see if they can help you.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that someone already got 36C, so there must be a way to get it.

BTW, you're on one of the two new 772s with AVOD. Congrats.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

When I try to choose flights for any of my flights, and when I click Continue it just throws me back to the previous page, and when I try to edit my information, it also just throws me back out- the reservation system is acting weirdly, or is this how Continental treats us first-time flyers? I can see that 36 C&D are chosen, but why won't the darn system let me choose anything???? I try to choose any random available seat, it just won't let me.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, have you tried 800-300-1547? You better do it soon before the choice seats are gone!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I just used OLCI and got 16A for EWR-HKG and 12C for YYZ-EWR (the famed exit row). Does anyone know if the seat 16A has laptop power?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by hongkongtraveller
I just used OLCI and got 16A for EWR-HKG and 12C for YYZ-EWR (the famed exit row). Does anyone know if the seat 16A has laptop power?
There is no power in row 16 of the 18 older 777 aircraft. The two newer aircraft have it nose to tail. This post suggests that you will be flying on one of the newer ones.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, keep in mind that when I flew one of the newer 772s to HKG in April, I can't get power using a N. American two-prong plug. However, I can get power when using a 3-prong UK/HK plug. Since you're going to HKG, you may already have one with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.